Replaced throttle pull cable on the bike

Spooky#1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Replaced throttle pull cable on the bike

Post by Spooky#1 »

Everyone has their own version so here's mine.
Removed the coil pack, removed the "U" bracket holding the idle screw plate and choke cable clamp and alligator strapped the oil lines to the side frame tubes to open the area around the carbs. Tied monofiliment fishing line to the end of the cable, used a hooked length of 14 gauge copper wire tied to the other end of the fishing line to pull it down, under and up the back side. Used fishing line to guide the cable down, under and up the back side, positioned the cable knob properly and kept tension on the fishing line to hold the knob against the throttle link while pulling the cable back until the knob dropped into the seat. Made sure the cable was laying in the throttle link groove and operated smoothly. Once the carb end of the outer cable was fastened into place just yanked the fishing line off and discarded.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Replaced throttle pull cable on the bike

Post by daves79x »

Oh yes, that works, but if you add everything up, it's about as easy to tilt the engine. Glad you got it!

Dave

Spooky#1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spooky#1 »

After pulling the bike apart twice in one weekend last month because I accidentally closed the fuel vent circuit I can safely say the fishing line saved me from a third time so I'm grateful.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Just isn't any way to attach the cable to carbs as-installed! Thanks for your story, Spook.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”