New carb screw supplier

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

New carb screw supplier

Post by CBX-tras »

FYI, after years of sorting and replating fasteners that I remove, I've recently started using KM Carburetor screw kits in all of my carburetor rebuilds at no extra charge to the customer.
This means that I've literally discarded bins of the various screws I had in stock in order to move up to a better product, for myself and the customer.
This also means that I discard the brand new fasteners that are supplied from the kits I purchase just so the finished rack of carbs will have the best fit and finish, consistently.

These fasteners are (IMO) superior to OEM and anything else available.

If you choose to DIY, in the CBX kits, they supply at least 1 extra of each size and all the fasteners you'll need to rebuild your carbs. Included the proper #2 Phillips head, 3mm screws for the choke butterflies AND the screws for the throttle blades too. Many kits that are out there don't supply the correct size/head or not all the fasteners you'll need.

Also included with every kit are #2 and #3, JIS bits. This means you'll have the proper drivers for every fastener and make removal of the OE screws a breeze.

This might seem like a small thing to some folks but, in many times, the smallest of details make the difference of a good job and a great one.

They get my stamp of approval. See the comparisons/buy here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CBX-1000 ... SwiAdgLG5H

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: New carb screw supplier

Post by CBX-tras »

I neglected to mention that they also carry the special screw that attaches the choke lever.
It's made in stainless steel so it will never rust like the one that's on your bike now.

Here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CBX-CHOK ... Sw4RJgEb4r

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

:thumupp:

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Whoa!!!! That's a deal, JR. Many thanks. Beats hell out of trying to source all the different screws. And, yes folks, use the PROPER JIS screwdrivers/bits. It DOES make a difference!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

That creates the question: Are they Philips of JIS heads?

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Top marks for sharing this info' JR, thank you!

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

EMS wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:22 pm
That creates the question: Are they Philips of JIS heads?
The Japanese spec fastener is slightly different than the SAE (US) spec.

With a JIS spec bit, there is an exact fit to the screw whereas the standard Phillips in your toolbox will have some sloppyness to it.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The main screws you need to replace on CBX carbs are all still available from Honda, but you need to order piece by piece. And the cost is about the same as these kits, so much easier to just order the kit you need. I see they also have kits without the throttle plate screws, which I've never needed. Thanks JR for showing us another great option!

Dave

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

daves79x wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:20 am
The main screws you need to replace on CBX carbs are all still available from Honda, but you need to order piece by piece. And the cost is about the same as these kits, so much easier to just order the kit you need. I see they also have kits without the throttle plate screws, which I've never needed. Thanks JR for showing us another great option!

Dave
I've never needed them either. But, when I spoke to the owner, he said that he wanted to cover every contingency, even for those that felt compelled to COMPLETELY disassemble their carbs.
He's also looking to source the special shoulder bolts that hold the two banks together in the front. (open issue). I found him to be sincere and very detail oriented and over time will expand his offerings to all makes and popular models of VJM in these types of products.
If there's a fastener you need that you can't find, he'll take the challenge to locate it for you. The choke lever screw is just one example that he did for me. Now, everyone benefits.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The difference between JIS and Philips is critical! The SAE spec Philips is designed to "cam-out" at a certain force/torque. using a Philips tool on a JIS screw is likely to damage the screw head. Therefore my question. I have replaced all outside screws on the CBX carbs I have worked on with Allen heads.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Allen head, or any screw with a separate washer, are a real pain to deal with in any setting but on the bench. Trying to get them off when the carbs are on the bike without losing washers is near impossible. Granted, you have limited access when they are on the bike, but you can get the tops off and #1 and 6 bowls, Try doing that with Allen heads with separate washers. But some like chromed fasteners like those and don't care about a stock look.

KM Carburetor
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by KM Carburetor »

Thank you for the kind words and endorsement J.R.!

As stated, I began putting together complete "master" screw kits for Honda CBX and DOHC Fours and offering them for sale because as I am sure you all know every time a rack of carbs come in the shop all of the original screws are either badly deformed from years of abuse at the hands of Craftsman Phillips screwdrivers or are corroded to the point of being an eyesore.

After a while of buying screws from the usual suspects and being disappointed with the quality, price or both I decided to source them on my own. These screws are the nicest I've worked with and I'm proud to share them with you.

My motorcycle specific screw kits feature:

-EVERY JIS screw needed for a FULL tear down and rebuild (over 100 screws in the CBX kit.)
-Made in Japan screws
-Bright Plating (In my opinion, the nicest plating I've seen on such hardware)
-Actual JIS standard screws - All dimensions are identical to OEM. The proper sizes have the characteristic dot on the head and they have built in lock washers where applicable.
-All sizes are packed individually with a legend is included so you know exactly which screw goes where.
-An extra screw of each size, just in case one gets buggered up or decides to elope with your 10mm socket
-FREE Vessel made in Japan #2 & #3 JIS driver bits

I also offer a Shop Kit that includes 427 JIS carburetor screws packaged in a sturdy Made in USA organizer for $140

Feel free to peruse my eBay listings and if there is anything you would like to purchase I will offer 10% off to forum members who purchase direct by emailing me at Kurt@kmcarburetor.com. Shipping is always free in the continental USA. Please inquire for international shipping rates.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/kmcarburetor/m ... rs=1&_ipg=
High Quality JIS Screw Kits and Screwdriver Bits for Vintage Japanese Motorcycles
www.KMCarburetor.com
Kurt@KMCaburetor.com

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

GREAT!!! Thanks.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I bought a bulk pack from Kurt and the screws are nearly as nice as he is. Highly recommended.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

KM Carburetor

Post by KM Carburetor »

NobleHops wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:08 pm
I bought a bulk pack from Kurt and the screws are nearly as nice as he is. Highly recommended.
Thank you for the kind words Nils! I'm glad you liked them!
High Quality JIS Screw Kits and Screwdriver Bits for Vintage Japanese Motorcycles
www.KMCarburetor.com
Kurt@KMCaburetor.com

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”