Carb O rings

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Carb O rings

Post by CBX-tras »

The rubber band method can only work if the support brace is removed from between the intake and exhaust areas of he cover. Which I DO NOT recommend.

On the DOHC 4s, it isn't there (where the "trick" came from).

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Clean everything well. This sometimes takes longer than actually checking the valve clearances. Then use your sealant of choice (3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, Permatex Ultra-Gray are good ones), to glue the gasket to the valve cover. If you do that right, you'll have no problem keeping the gasket in place during installation, and it will stay there through multiple removals/installations of the cover. But you must also apply sealant (Ultra Gray or Hondabond) to the places prescribed in the shop manual - the half-moons on each end. Apply no sealant anywhere else. Use new hold-down bolt rubbers if yours are at all suspect (torn, hard or several years old) and you won't have any leaks.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Thank you all

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

daves79x wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:53 am
Clean everything well. This sometimes takes longer than actually checking the valve clearances. Then use your sealant of choice (3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, Permatex Ultra-Gray are good ones), to glue the gasket to the valve cover. If you do that right, you'll have no problem keeping the gasket in place during installation, and it will stay there through multiple removals/installations of the cover. But you must also apply sealant (Ultra Gray or Hondabond) to the places prescribed in the shop manual - the half-moons on each end. Apply no sealant anywhere else. Use new hold-down bolt rubbers if yours are at all suspect (torn, hard or several years old) and you won't have any leaks.

Dave

So, cover has been removed, can chains adjusted and valve clearance checked. Most valves are .13mm but some are .15mm. I’m guessing it’s because I didn’t have good micrometer to measure shims last time.
1. Is .15mm not acceptable? I know max is .13mm by Honda.
2. my valve cover gasket is stuck on the valve cover. Should i remove it and clean before assembly or just clean the other side that was against the head? It still seems to be a bit soft
3. What kind of grease should be used on carb O rings?

Thank you
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I wouldn't sweat a couple clearances at .015 if you don't have the shims to correct. If the gasket is stuck well in the cover, that's fine. Just clean the sealing surface well and apply sealant where the manual shows.

Anything you have will work to lightly lube the o-rings.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Perfect,

Thank you very much Dave

Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

CBX-tras wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:27 am
The rubber band method can only work if the support brace is removed from between the intake and exhaust areas of he cover. Which I DO NOT recommend.

On the DOHC 4s, it isn't there (where the "trick" came from).
Hi JR,
I respectfully beg to differ with your above comments. In all the pics of the cam cover of my 'How To...'viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10537 in the Engine maintenance section, you will see the important support brace remains in place and is not removed (I would NEVER advocate doing that and it should not be done ever).

And yes, the "trick" came from assisting Brent fit the cam cover on his Kiwi superbike 4 cylinder engines that don't have a support brace on either end.

I certainly accept the rubber band method is not for everyone, but it has worked well for me on several refittings of the CBX cam cover now. The wider and larger the rubber bands are, the better it works. YMMV.

Cheers...Tony

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I had that question. It wasn't really clear to me, why the "support brace" had to be removed. Unless I don't know which part that is.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

I use a sealant similar to what Honda used and paint it on with a thin hobby brush. Seals and holds the gasket in place for the next removal.
I've also machined a hardened steel scraper that fits perfectly into the groove to make cleaning a breeze.

Hey, what ever works for you......

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

CBX-tras wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:27 am
I use a sealant similar to what Honda used and paint it on with a thin hobby brush. Seals and holds the gasket in place for the next removal.
I've also machined a hardened steel scraper that fits perfectly into the groove to make cleaning a breeze.

Hey, what ever works for you......
Thank you sir :-)
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”