Carb O rings

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Carb O rings

Post by cross »

Hi guys,

I have carb O rings that I never used when I rebuild my carbs several years ago and now, carbs started leaking so I need to replace them.
The thing is that I used two of the O rings elsewhere and I’m short. Does anyone have two of the mid size O rings to sell me?
Randakks is sold out on the kits right now, it’s unknown when they’ll get them back in stock.
Another question that I have is how long is accelerator valve diaphragm good for?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Carb O rings

Post by JoeInTUS »

Sasha

I believe the kit came with 2 extra o-rings of each size and you have enough since there are only five connections using 2 orings each between six carbs.

Joe
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

JoeInTUS wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:10 pm
Sasha

I believe the kit came with 2 extra o-rings of each size and you have enough since there are only five connections using 2 orings each between six carbs.

Joe
I’ll do the count to see, thank you for the info
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JoeInTUS »

Our expert at Restocycle reminded me that for the fuel connections on 80-82 carbs you only need 8 orings since there are two fuel inlets and no crossover between #3 and #4 carbs.
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

You didn't specifically mention the source of your rings. Be certain that they are Viton material. Otherwise, ethanol will eat them for lunch. If you need anything, you might check with Bill Brint at TIMS CBX. Also, Mike Nixon at The Motorcycle Project.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You should be good per the comments above. And yes, Randakk seems to be out of the CBX carb rebuild kits more than they are in stock lately.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Larry Zimmer wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:42 pm
You didn't specifically mention the source of your rings. Be certain that they are Viton material. Otherwise, ethanol will eat them for lunch. If you need anything, you might check with Bill Brint at TIMS CBX. Also, Mike Nixon at The Motorcycle Project.
These were from the Randakks carb kit, I’ve never used them. I think they are Viton

Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

daves79x wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:36 am
You should be good per the comments above. And yes, Randakk seems to be out of the CBX carb rebuild kits more than they are in stock lately.

Dave
Thank you Dave.
How long are acc. Pump diaphragms usually good for? I changed it about 6/7 years ago when I got the bike. Now that I have to separate carbs to change the O rings, should I be getting a full kit and replace everything?
Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The accelerator pump and air cut-off diaphragms are certainly still good. Problem with the accelerator pump is that it's function in general diminishes over time due to it's poor design. Just clean all the linkages well, be sure they're free and bench test to be sure you're getting a good spray. If not, fiddle until you do, knowing that in a few years, or less, the thing probably won't be working nearly as well.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Thank you very much Dave
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

daves79x wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:33 am
The accelerator pump and air cut-off diaphragms are certainly still good. Problem with the accelerator pump is that it's function in general diminishes over time due to it's poor design. Just clean all the linkages well, be sure they're free and bench test to be sure you're getting a good spray. If not, fiddle until you do, knowing that in a few years, or less, the thing probably won't be working nearly as well.

Dave
Dave,
I forgot to ask few more questions. First one is about float valves, they were available as a set with seats from Honda not that long ago but not any more. If i end up needing float valves, what do i do, are they compatible off of different model?
Second, i want to check my valves and cam chain this winter as well and the valve cover gasket is about 6-7 years old and i've already taken it off once after that, should i get a new gasket and sealing rubbers for the top bolts?
Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The float valves apparently just became NLA from Honda. But that wasn't the way to go anyway, usually. Your seats are very likely fine, just polish the sealing surface up with a Q-Tip and a little very fine rubbing compound. Then get genuine Keihin float valves from any of several places, PJ Motorsports, Sudco, etc. They must be genuine Keihin though.

Re-use your valve cover gasket. I'm still on my original one after 45,000 miles. But do get new hold-down bolt rubbers, making sure you get the late model ones, not the '79 version.

Dave

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

That's great, thank you

Happy Holidays
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

daves79x wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:49 am
The float valves apparently just became NLA from Honda. But that wasn't the way to go anyway, usually. Your seats are very likely fine, just polish the sealing surface up with a Q-Tip and a little very fine rubbing compound. Then get genuine Keihin float valves from any of several places, PJ Motorsports, Sudco, etc. They must be genuine Keihin though.

Re-use your valve cover gasket. I'm still on my original one after 45,000 miles. But do get new hold-down bolt rubbers, making sure you get the late model ones, not the '79 version.

Dave

Dave,

When you reuse the valve cover gasket do you smear some type of sealant on it first?
And second, what type of grease should I be using on carb O rings when assembling?
Thank you
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Many threads on valve cover adherents and installation.
Cleanliness is a must.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5792

herdygerdy has a rubber band method of keeping the gasket in place that sounds effective.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”