Leaking Carbs

letxbruce
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Leaking Carbs

Post by letxbruce »

My carbs have started leaking from the fuel tube O rings if the bike sits up for a while so it's time to split the carbs and replace the O rings. I'm debating whether I should tackle this myself or take the carbs to an experienced mechanic. Looking over the shop manual the job looks fairly straightforward so I was wondering if there might be some hidden pitfalls that I might fall into. Does anyone know about how much it would cost to have the job done professionally? The carbs are dialed in perfectly so no other work is required. Oh, and does anyone know the size of the O rings?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Leaking Carbs

Post by daves79x »

If you want to do the job yourself, get the Randakk kit. $125 and has all the viton o-rings and other rubber parts you need. The job is many times more complicated than the shop manual would indicate.

Sending them out for rebuild would run between $750-$1000, depending on who you used. A rebuilder would not just replace the o-rings, they would be completely disassembled, cleaned, checked, reassembled, bench synced and wet tested.

Hidden pitfalls? Search here and you'll find volumes on that. Let me know if I can help you out.

Dave

letxbruce
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by letxbruce »

Thank you for the info! I was afraid that it would be quite costly. I have already been through them and installed a Dynojet Stage III kit to work with my Weisco1147 engine, K&N filters, Dyna coils, and Kerker 6 into 2 exhaust. I worked with Tim Ware on the jetting and they are perfectly dialed in across the entire RPM range. No flat spots just a steady hard pull to redline. So, here I sit with a nice metric nitrile O ring assortment and time on mine hands. A classic example of looking at $1000 labor to install 50 cents of parts. I should of had it done professionally to start with; it took for ever to get all those passages cleaned out. Well, they lasted for 41 years. Good job, Mr. Honda.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Would not be me using nitrile. (Unless you are running ethanol free gas.) Get Viton! Ethanol and nitrile mix like wet leaves on a blind curve. Do some web searching. There are many sources of o-rings. And, as Dave mentioned, the Randakk kit has it all for $125. (Things such as acc pump, etc.)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

letxbruce
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by letxbruce »

Wow, I checked my O Ring assortment and the material wasn't specified. Thank you so much; if I do it myself I sure don't want to put in bad O Rings and go thru them again. So glad I posted this.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Worth mentioning: In the last 10 years or so, I haven't done a rack of CBX carbs that didn't need vent Tees or link seals. I highly suggest that you get those too when you place your order with Randakk's. Additionally, if the connector boots haven't been replaced in the past, you're due now. (Along with most other rubber components on these bikes. Cooler hoses, brake lines, engine seals, rear wheel dampers, etc.)

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”