New Fuel Strainer Doesn't Fit Tank

markjenn
New Member & Happy To Be Here

New Fuel Strainer Doesn't Fit Tank

Post by markjenn »

Hi, has anyone else had issues where the Honda-listed OEM fuel strainer (the long filter that fits up inside the petcock and into the fuel tank) doesn't fit? I ordered a 16952-469-005 (which is listed at multiple sites as the proper OEM strainer) but it is too big a diameter to go through metal boss on the fuel tank which the petcock screws onto. This is on a 1979 CBX with the non-vacuum petcock.

It's been awhile, but I recall pulling the petcock off maybe six or seven years ago and remember it coming out as a flexible "sock". It was split along a seam so I tossed it and attempted to order a new one, but at the time, it was listed as not available. I ran without a filter or with an inline filter for a few years and then the bike was laid up for several more. I'm putting it back together now and saw that the online sites where show a listing with the above number as available so I ordered one ($40+shipping!). It came in a zip-lock bag without OEM packaging, so I'm not entirely sure if is the right one, but a post from a 15+ years ago has someone with the same issue which was never resolved. The filter I have is rigid plastic, not flexible like I remember the original.

I'll probably just do inline and say to heck with it, but I'd like to get confirmation whether a 16952-469-005 does or doesn't actually fit a 1979 CBX. My bet is that probably the strainer fits a later bike with a vacuum petcock.

Cheers, - Mark

markjenn

Re: New Fuel Strainer Doesn't Fit Tank

Post by markjenn »

I'm a doofus. What was stopping the new strainer from fitting into the tank was the old strainer! For some reason I had a recollection of removing and throwing the old strainer away - must have been from another bike. So It never occurred to me that the old strainer was still in there. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

- Mark

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Glad that one was easy. One thing you might note, the 422 and 469 part numbers are different in that the reserve standpipe is shorter on the 469. So the rubber grommet inside the filter screen is lower on the 469 part number. Still, the height of the pipe determines how much reserve you have.

Dave

markjenn

Post by markjenn »

Thanks Dave. When you say “rubber grommet” are you referring to the black sleeve-like rubber piece that came with the filter? I’m a little unsure where it is supposed to sit or what it’s function is. Just stabilize the top of the filter on the standpipe? There’s also a small o-ring that I assume goes at the base where the petcock screws on.

- Mark

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

It may make your head spin for minute but there is some good info in this old thread about the different petcocks and strainers.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4293&p=53505&hilit ... ner#p53505

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, the little rubber ring goes into the strainer and seats about halfway up. This seals the standpipe so you have a functional reserve. If you didn't put it in there, you'll have no reserve.

Dave

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”