timing and octane?

super jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

timing and octane?

Post by super jim »

Most engines designed to run on 87 octane respond well to a couple degrees of timing advance along with 92 octane. Can anyone factually confirm if this is true or not true with the CBX?

portalespeanut
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: timing and octane?

Post by portalespeanut »

Hey Jim!
I do know that the CBX is sensitive to timing...reference the advancer issues on the '80 models years ago. Also, as You know, today's blended fuels may be the equivalent in octane rating to older unleaded, but there's less total potential btu's per volume which is why most vehicles show some loss of mpg's when running ethanol blends vs straight unleaded. It would be interesting to know if a couple of degrees more in the advance would help...I doubt it would be noticeable in normal operation. Generally speaking, warning signs of too much timing advance are a 'knock' under load, possible kickback when starting, or excessive heat at the cylinder head. The 'knock' can often be addressed with higher octane, but the other issues are still there.
I'm sure there's other's here who have more knowledge and experience that I. I'll look forward to watching this post and hearing their thoughts...
You begin cutting your wisdom teeth the first time you bite off more than you can chew...

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”