Carb Rack Installation

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Carb Rack Installation

Post by CBX-tras »

As posted elsewhere out on the internet:

For you CBXers out there that have difficulty reinstalling carbs, this is how I do it. Do it by yourself without help from your buddies or wife.

Using a SOFT ratchet strap and 4 "A" clamps. I'll put the rack in place and the carb into either #1 or #6 and tighten that clamp. Wrap the strap around the motor, ratchet at the front and the "A" clamps to keep the strap from falling. With slight tension on the strap, make certain it's in position and start to tighten it a few clicks. Make sure the carbs are aligned to the pre-lubed boots and continue tightening.

Before the rack has popped into place, wiggle it up and down and at this point I'll manually add tension to the strap by just pushing on it and...... pop! the rack is in place.

Make certain all 6 are embedded into their boots before you tighten the clamps.

BTW, don't try to reuse original boots. Buy a new set, they'll be softer and more compliant. Original ones will most likely leak air around them causing vacuum issues.

As a side note: The motor shown here is powder coated in what my shop calls "sparkle silver". The finish and durability of this process is far beyond what can be done via spray methods. I don't do this often due to the prep and after cleanup. I'll spend and entire day cleaning, washing and rinsing to ensure that every particulate of abrasive material has been eliminated prior to assembly. But, this one is the second of 3 currently in process in the last 6 weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Carb Rack Installation

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks for showing another method, J.R.
Got no wife and the buddies have quit returning my calls so i might give this one a whirl.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Got no wife and the buddies have quit returning my calls so i might give this one a whirl.
Hey Steve, I think you have the first line of a bad country western song going on there!

“Yippie-Kai-Yay,” well you know the rest! :teasing-poke:

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Neat! Thanks, J.R. And, 'second' that comment about new boots. Worth the $$.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Can I just add that the cleanliness of that assembly is making me a bit teary-eyed?

Thanks for sharing!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”