Help needed. Do I have a carb problem ?

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Help needed. Do I have a carb problem ?

Post by JustMike »

Hi Steve, I had that black slide guide off and jammed the spray pipe in the holes. I made sure that the spray was getting out of each one.
Messy stuff that spray lol it goes everywhere.
I have one final thing to try with the cleaner to double check that the 3 holes under the throttle butterfly`s are clear before setting the carbs up for a leak test.
Today I was going to do all that and make up a little stand to hold the carbs for the leak test but something came up so its off till tomorrow by the look of it.
I think I will buy a couple of spare bowls to use for now and that will allow me to repair the others at my leisure.
Sods law something will go wrong and I`ll end up stuck. The corrosion on a couple of them is actually quite bad, so I might actually look into doing a permanent repair on them.
With spare bowls I`ll be able to play around.

Mike

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

JustMike wrote: Messy stuff that spray lol it goes everywhere.
Mike
when I last did that I was spraying into one of the orifices it didn't appear to be coming out anywhere :think: so I peered in to where I thought it should be coming out, of coarse at that moment the blockage cleared and I got an eyeful of carb cleaner :o blinded I stumbled to the into the house to rinse it out and then back to the carbs to pick up where I left off, only to repeat the stupidity again with the same result :doh: ...not wanting to be an idiot three times I finally put on my safety glasses :roll: :oops:
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

Hahaha. Don`t worry Wyly your not alone.
I don`t know if your familiar with the old bevel drive Ducatis and their Delorto carbs.
While checking the carbs out I yanked on the cable to pull the slide up while peering inside. The carb was in my hand.
Well. The next thing I know I`m getting a face full of petrol.
Those injectors could fire a big stream of petrol about 10 feet across a room, but your not supposed to be looking into its throat as you test it lol.
The things we do for this hobby lol.

Mike

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

Well that's the final checks done.
Cleaner is gushing out of the vents under the throttle butterfly`s when blasted up through the idle jets.
Also got cleaner coming through the 6 injectors. Everything blown through with the compressor.
Just waiting on a couple of replacement float bowls coming to replace ones with split overflow pipes. I have repaired them, but hopefully the replacements will be in better nick and I can use them and keep the originals as spares.
I did have some fuel leaking from the drains, so hopefully that will now be cured.
Float heights all set and slide needles checked and confirmed as original.
Air screws all set at 2 turns as a starting point.
New manifold rubbers ready to be fitted as well.
I think that's about it.
Now to make up a stand for the carbs and get a leak test organised.

Mike

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

Well that's the carb stand made.
Clear fuel pipe ordered to check float levels externally.
Replacement float bowls on their way.
Time to chill out.

Mike

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Mike, the suspense of your carbs being sorted is killing me, i can imagine it has been worse for you. haha.

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

It is doing my head in Steve lol.
But I`m being surprisingly patient, as normally I would just get stuck in.
I want to do this right though so am taking my time as I know how easy it is to miss something and have to go back to the start.
Hopefully though I will be successful and the information left here will be of use to someone else.
Probably the worst part is that I`m doing all this work and I don`t actually know for sure what is wrong.
But we have to start somewhere.

Mike

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

JustMike wrote:It is doing my head in Steve lol.
But I`m being surprisingly patient, as normally I would just get stuck in.
I want to do this right though so am taking my time as I know how easy it is to miss something and have to go back to the start.
Hopefully though I will be successful and the information left here will be of use to someone else.
Probably the worst part is that I`m doing all this work and I don`t actually know for sure what is wrong.
But we have to start somewhere.

Mike
process of elimination, you need to start somewhere it might as well be the heart of the beast....and the symptoms are pointing at the carb and you’ve found issues with them it’s so time well spent

What did you find in carb #1 with the cold exhaust?
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

I was never able to replicate that problem with #1 Wyly. So I`m at a loss as to what happened there.
But as you said having a look in the maze that is the cbx carbs had to be done. I will of course be rather miffed if I`ve not fixed it lol.
Anyway I`m one day closer to getting the leak test done and checking the injectors. And hopefully I`ve got the float heights spot on.
I was bored this morning so tidied up the carb stand and put on a holder for the drain pipes to check the floats and mounted the remote fuel tank. So another productive day.
Just to sit and wait for the postman to deliver the bits I`m waiting on.

Mike

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

Oh well back to the drawing board.
But I suppose not bad for the first time I`ve ever used a float gauge.
On the plus side no sign of any leaks.
So I`ll probably have a busy day tomorrow lol.

Mike

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

Well that's been an interesting day.
The first attempt at the float heights didn`t seem to work and the photo would back that up.
I was puzzled because within myself I had set the heights correctly.
This morning I opened everything up and redid them differently.
Well, I wont say what went through my head but settings were again everywhere other than where they should have been.
So once again I opened them up.
When checking the heights and looking at the photos I had taken nothing matched up. In effect the level in the pipe was high but the float setting said low, or the pipe was low and the float level said high.
So I once again sat here scouring the forum for information no matter how insignificant it might seem
Damn there are some clever guys on here.
Anyway I decided to go and reset the bowl the way I had done them previously and closed the bowls up again.
But this time I set up the pipes for checking the levels differently.
Previously I had them all running from one end to the other so that I could have them all in a line and make it easier to see where the levels were. But I had lots of problems with air bubbles coming along the pipes from the bowls. I have no idea why they were there. The bowls were full and I should have only had petrol flowing. Even when draining the amount of air was too much.
This time I put the pipes out the front of the carbs making it a bit harder to compare them, but this time I got the results I was after.
Right now they look a touch high but I`m not sure if it is just camera angle or what. I`m done for the night and now watching World Superbikes on the tv from Argentina.

Mike

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I am sure this information appears somewhere else, but to save searching, I will put it here. I know our real experts are watching, so if I am wrong, please point it out.

You will probably be better off if you use shorter pieces of tubing, maybe 6 inches or so.

Here is a picture I borrowed from Goss.

I added the arrow. I believe that when your float is properly adjusted, and the carbs are tilted to the proper angle, the fuel level in the tube will be approximately at the same level as the screw head pointed at by the arrow. Use the screw on the same carburetor the tube is connected to. The angle, as close as I can measure on my 79 CBX, is about 20 degrees.
SCH Rochester, MN

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

Thanks Spencer.
That's about where they`re sitting at the moment.
I will need to get my hands on a proper gauge before I decide because I think I have my carbs angled a bit nearer to 23 degrees.
Well I left the carbs sitting overnight and no leaks from them, except for finding fuel in 3 of the overflow pipes. The reason people get hydrolocks.
Now I have emptied these out several times so that amounts to a fair amount of petrol over time.
Strangely the fuel filter is still full although I had the tap for the remote tank turned off, so maybe it isn`t doing too great a job.
I have now lowered the tank below the bowls so fuel cant flow any more from it, and just waiting to see if any more fuel comes out.
Might just be a couple of valves not seating quite right so I might drain the carbs later to let them reseat and try again.
I had 2 bowl with cracks on the over flow pipes so I replaced them with better bowls and one of them is dripping into the pipes so makes me wonder also if maybe the drain screws are not sealing properly.
When I say dripping that's not right. You can`t see fuel coming out, it accumulates over time, like a few hours.

Mike

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You are probably being too fine with the float levels. I think you are close enough. However, to do the wet test for leaks, remove the tubing and let the carbs sit at the approximate correct angle for several hours or overnight. The brass spigots should be completely dry. Are you using Keihin float valves?

JustMike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JustMike »

Hi Dave.
The photo below is after about 90 minutes.
I left the pipes on simply to catch any fuel that might escape and that way I can monitor better how much and from which carbs.
That is the worst one.
According to Goss/Steve when he rebuilt the carbs 4 years ago he used Keihin valves and to our knowledge that is what is still in there.
The carbs have been sitting since yesterday evening but I kept removing the fuel from the pipes. I will put a jar under them to monitor fully how much is leaking out over the rest of the day.

Mike

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”