Carb Hoses

Ken #1495

Carb Hoses

Post by Ken #1495 »

I had my tank off to clean & get ready for spring when I noticed a missing hose from a t-connector between the #4 & 5 carbs. There is no connector between the 2 & 3.
I scoured the shop manual and noticed the hoses but no reference to them. The picture I think shows the hoses going over the air chamber. If so, where do they go and are they important?

Also, could this have anything to do with the popping noise (like popcorn) coming from the right muffler when cruising at a steady speed?

P.S. The carbs were off at a shop for cleaning awhile back.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Overflow tubes

Post by EMS »

These are the vent and overflow tubes from the float bowls. They normally drain the excess gas and fumes on the ground. They sit in a hard rubbery tee, which again fits over two brass tubes. With time, they become brittle and split and fall off. When they are missing the juice just exits at the brass tube and spills on the carbs and/or the engine. If the tee is still there, you can replace the tube. If the tee is gone - tough. They are next to impossible to replace without breaking the carbs apart.
The popping sound in your right exhaust could mean some part of cylinders 4-6 is running rich or your valve timing is a little off and you may have some combustion taking place in the exhaust.

Post by Guest »

All the 6 overflow tubes are there with the t's. So the other 2 must be the vent tubes I assume. Thanks

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tubes

Post by EMS »

The six tubes you see are not overflow, they are drain tubes. Open the
brass drain plugs on the base of each carb and you will see fuel flowing out of these six. :idea:

cnshores

air vents

Post by cnshores »

I think the Fuel overflow comes out through the drain passage as well, the overflow tube is just connected downstream from the drain screw. The Tubes at the top of the carb body are for venting the float bowl, I am in the process of rebuilding my carbs, and the rubber tee has rotted out. I am wondering if it is a problem to not have the tee with hoses. I guess the worst case is some dirt may come in to the float bowl. Anyone have thoughts ??

Tee's in carbs

Post by Guest »

TIM'S CBX has the T's that go between carbs 2-3, 4-5. Installation has to be made by splitting the carbs. Add hoses to go up over the air box. I just rebuilt my carbs and had to install these also. Mine were missing.

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

There was a post a while back somewhere, [tried to find it], somebody did this without removing the carbs. It was a very tight fit but could be done. Perhaps somebody else could find it.

Tony

Carb Vent Tubes

Post by Tony »

The carb vent tubes between 2-5 and 4-6 can be replaced without splitting the carbs. Do not split your carbs! That is way to much work. In fact, I am about to put a couple on right now with the carbs still on the bike. Email off line for details. It is a little tricky, but quite do-able. It's an old CBX trick contrary to what the shop manual says....

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

Tony,

Would you post the details of replacing the vent tubes (and tees) here on the site so the rest of us can file it away for the time when it comes to us? It would be a big help to everyone who doesn't need it now but, sooner or later, will have to figure it out. :wink:

Thanks.

J-J

sixofsix@telus.net

All installing CBX Carb Vent Tubes!

Post by sixofsix@telus.net »

All you ever wanted to know about CBX Carb Vent Tubes is here. Copy/Paste it to your search engine. Your Welcome!

http://www.billsworkshop.com/cbx/tube.htm

Then you should download it as a document, print it off and put it in the Tech Tips Chronicle or your shop manual!

Tony

I should get member of the week for this one. Ha!

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

Just noticed the rubber tee`s are gone from my carbs. They could have been gone for a long time. What purpose do they serve apart from redirecting the vent flow? I have the individual carb filters on now so it is no big deal to remove the carbs and put them on but I don`t want to if it is unessassary.

stevekates
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Carb vent tube installation

Post by stevekates »

Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:03 pm Post subject: All installing CBX Carb Vent Tubes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All you ever wanted to know about CBX Carb Vent Tubes is here. Copy/Paste it to your search engine. Your Welcome!

http://www.billsworkshop.com/cbx/tube.htm

Then you should download it as a document, print it off and put it in the Tech Tips Chronicle or your shop manual!

The website above doesn't work now, did anyone download the document when it was working, if so would you email or post it here so others can view, thanks.

Des Brown
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Des Brown »

I have just replaced both vent tubes without splitting carbs the carbs were off at the bike at the time.you need a long electrical screwdriver and some spit or wd 40,

push one side through the gap slide right over pipe then push the rest through the gap and then square up easy,go carefull not to push the screwdriver though the rubber.Iam sure it could be done with carbs in situ

with some patience

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”