81 Slow Jets

Gtrpicker
New Member & Happy To Be Here

81 Slow Jets

Post by Gtrpicker »

Working on a 81 CBX which has been sitting for about7 -8 yrs.

I'm slowly going through the carb set up and having read the articles on slow jets in the forum I decided to make sure the jets were clear. I managed to clear 4 of them but 2 of the slow jets in my carb set up have damaged jets, looks like someone tried to create a slot to screw them out.

I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Any ideas?[/i][/b]

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

I need to go on a low carb diet

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

According to what I've read in the Tech Tips, they are not replaceable. However, I seem to remember that they are pressed in and could be removed with a "slide hammer" style puller. Not having seen the carbs, or having tried to do this, I do not know for sure.

How were you successful at clearing the other 4? I have some "pin drills" which might be able to help.

What I use on my '79 carbs is a "quilting pin" It is a very thin very sharp pointed pin. 99% of the time when I press it into the tiny hole it will dislodge or breakthrough the "crud" and allow the carb cleaner to pass into the circuit and do a good cleaning.

Others have told of using a guitar string, I would guess a "E" string?

Keep us informed....... Tom

Gtrpicker

Post by Gtrpicker »

I managed to clear the other jets with carb. cleaner and a guitar string. an 'E' string to be precise and whats seemed like hours of patience. (maybe this is the therapy side of CBX ownership).

Before I can 'slide puller' the damaged jets out I'll need to drill a pilot hole.

If successful where can I buy '81 slow jets to press in.

Tom thanks for the offer of the valve compressor, but I've never needed to find an excuse to buy more tools (there's no such thing as too many tools)

Michael

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”