You guys are awesome!

shinolabill
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

You guys are awesome!

Post by shinolabill »

OK, here's the short version. FINALLY reached a dream after 28 years of salivating. Just bought a rolling, running, semi-basket case 79 X. WOO HOO!

Joined ICOA yesterday and have been researching my immediate problems today. Great stuff here. Ordered the CBX bible too.

Things to do first:

1. Get carbs off and clean. Thanks for the tilt info! Will see if they have been molested inside and make some inquiries here for decisions re: jets and such.

2. Pull clutch with goal of eliminating stupid noise. Replace with '81 version, correct?

Big questions for now. Opinions requested....Keep stock air box with K&N drop-in (what a pain!) or go with "aftermarket" filters? I plan to keep stock mufflers for now ($).

Next big Q....anybody (CBX friendly) here in bee-yoo-tee-ful San Diego.

Thanks to all.......Bill

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Congratulations on your purchase of an X. I'm a bit biased but they are my favorite bike of all.

There are guys on here that can help/recommend what to do with the airbox. One thing to keep in mind is that the individual filters can be a problem in hard rains.

Welcome to the site and please post pix of your bike when you can.

Chris

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

welcome to the site ... i see you live in san diego a little tip get to know george (cbxtacy) he's in chula vista and he's a hoot :lol:
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
Coast to coast and border to border on a CBX
My goal was to ride farther and faster than my wife could bitch....
I needed a faster bike....
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Bill,
Congrats on the new X. There are quite a few of us to be found in So Cal.
There is lots of help available on this site as well. Just ask.
Welcome to the club.
Best
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Hello & welcome Bill...... :thumupp:,
To answer one of your questions on the airbox. My feelings are that you should keep it. Reason being induction roar, which can be quite loud with individual filters....... Unless you are about to proceed along the radical path of performance gains, I would leave well alone.
I'm sure George (CBXtacy) will be round to see you one day...... 8)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am in the camp of the stock airbox keepers. As long as everything else is stock on your engine. The unequal length of the inlet runners behind the carbs has been compensated for to an extend by the Honda engineers through unequal lengths of intake tracts in front of the carbs, incorporated into the stock airbox. I also have a CB1100R and on the Honda DOHC Fours, it is imperative to run a stock airbox with stock carbs.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Bill:
Forget about the clutch. It's not a problem and it's the LAST of your concerns now. Get it running properly and ride it and enjoy it for a while. Just doing that may try your patience. We are all here to help and it will be worth it in the end.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Bill,
Welcome to the "family". You'll find this motley crew to be most eager to help you in any way they can.
As to the clutch. most likely a good carb synch will quiet it down. The noise is caused by some cylinders pulling harder at idle, while others "coast". It's not hard to do a synch job, if you have the tools. It makes a HUGE difference.
I too vote to retain the stock airbox and pipes. Unless you're going with a big bore kit, stock will give you a good combination of power and drivability. That's not saying that there can't be gains by using a jet kit and individual filters, but any gains may be a poor trade for what you get in return. The biggest gains can be had by simply shimming the carb needles about .020".
Personally, I like to leave my CBXs near stock, and buy something else if you want more power. In the long run, it's cheaper. :-)
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Rick Pope wrote:Bill,
... and buy something else if you want more power. In the long run, it's cheaper. :-)
Amen to that!! Never thought about the "cheaper" aspect before, but that makes it even more true!

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

[quote="
Amen to that!! Never thought about the "cheaper" aspect before, but that makes it even more true![/quote]

I originally got a CBX to modify into a hotrod cafe bike. After going to some rallies and doing some homework, I decided that the best thing a CBX does is, 1) attract a crowd, 2) helps you make new friends, 3) gets you into the ICOA, where you'll find #1 and #2.
That said, I have my C2C bike which is a never ending project, and a low mile stock '79 which I will restore to not-quite-perfect condition. Why not perfect? Because I want to ride it the way Honda intended, not let it sit in the family room.
If you want to go fast, there are lots of inexpensive bikes that will deliver more performance than any highly modified CBX can ever hope to attain. My personal choice is a CBR-XX, but even a newer 600cc sport-bike is very capable.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

Welcome to the ICOA and great choice of a bike. I would leave the stock airbox on for sure, do not care what pipes or motor work you do the stock box is the only way to go. Once you get the carbs sync and a valve adj most of the clutch noise will go. If the bike has high miles the more noise its going to make. If you feel once this is done and you still have that nasty falling apart noise change the dam clutch. If you need one I have plenty (81/82) ones new as well as used. I have changed all mine to the 81/82 units. If you do change it you must have the complete unit including the bushing. Email me for any CBX part you might need or ?? www.usedcbxparts.com By the way if you meet George I hope you do by walking if he is on a bike you will never see what he looks like except the back of his shirt :lol: Thanks Louis

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”