Which Are Best

HondaJohn
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Which Are Best

Post by HondaJohn »

I sat here and read all of the carb info last night until 1130. I am working on a restoration of an 81 CBX that is really in pretty good shape but needs a lot of cleaning. I think the carbs may have a flow problem and I am thinking about replacing them. Does anyone really know which year carbs are the best for mid range power? Is it the 79s with the three jet system or the mysterious 80 carbs that I know nothing about or is it the 81/82 versions? Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Note: years ago I adapted a set of 79 carbs to an 82 cbx motor and had to downsize the jets considerably (not sure I remember what sizes) and think I had to go down on mains two sizes and one size on the mid range or maybe it was the low speed - don't remember. When I got it jetted properly, it worked very well. Would appreciate thoughts on experience on carb interchangeability.....

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am not really sure either, but the 81/82 bikes made more mid-range power than the earlier years. This was a result of different cams, carbs and exhausts. Again, like elsewhere on the exhaust issue, the carbs are part of a system and I would think for an 81 that retains the stock exhaust and stock cams, the stock carbs would be the best choice.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Oh, and one other thing. I have a 79 CBX that I bought new in 1978. I also own an 1981 since 1993. Never have I felt that either bike performed recognizably different while riding on the street. I have not had them on a drag strip side by side nor on a track running against each other. Quite frankly, I can not say which is faster. But then again.... I don't know a lot of things.... 8)

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”