CBX Fuel Filter

wilco
New Member & Happy To Be Here

CBX Fuel Filter

Post by wilco »

Can anyone advise me if it is a good practice to install an in-line fuel filter in the line between the tank and the carbs. I am running the stock petcock and am wondering if the benefits of installing a fuel filter (keeping dirt out of the carbs) will not outweigh the negative affect of perhaps not allowing for enough fuel to flow.

Thanks

Bill Wilcox
W. Wilcox

Cobourg, Ontario

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I have one on my 79 and apparently it flows fuel just fine.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

I removed the internal petcock filter on mine and replaced with an inline glass replaceable element filter from the local autoparts store. Purolator I think.

/r

Brad

real6
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

How does it fit?

Post by real6 »

I have found it a pain to install an inline filter because the fuel line is so short from the petcock to the fuel inlet on the carb. Also, the fuel filters seem to be 1/4" or 5/16" and the fuel line is metric. This means the connection/fit is not very tight and then you end up using clamps which gets a bit ugly. The next option I am considering is a fuel filter with a 90degree outlet. Then maybe using some of the clamps like on the new Yamahas (and others probably) that look like a wire loop-they are not so big but not sure how they will clamp. Anyone else have these problems?

Robert Hill

Post by Robert Hill »

I have an 81. The following mods were done to the fuel system. Remove the vacuum device, replaced with a square Y for the 3 hoses. Pingle fuel vavle with the in-tank screen. Glass in-line fuel filter purchased from a cycle shop, it is about half the length of the ones from car shops. It fits perfectly, it comes with screw in plastic hose barbs which allow you to pick the best one for your application. I have no fuel flow problems whatsoever. Eliminating the vacuum device is the best thing you can do for your X, just remember to turn it off when you park! This makes starting the bike a breeze. Turn on fuel, watch the filter for the fuel to cease moving, turn on choke and hit button, it is running everytime. No more cranking endlessly til the battery is dead.

Robert Hill

Oklahoma City

BackRoadBruce
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

NAPA Gold # 3011

Post by BackRoadBruce »

I installed a NAPA Gold inline fuel filter. part # 3011, without any problems. I have another X that came with a 1/4" inline filter already installed, which I have since seen in hardware stores in the small engine departments. It too works fine.

I replaced all the rubber fuel lines with 5/16" line and slightly larger clamps. 1/4 inch line will work with the original wire clamps. Both work fine on a stock set-up.

I would hesitate to remove the fuel cutoff, as the consequences of failing to shut the petcock off are potentially severe. An electric cut off would be a safer alternative.
I twist the throttle just to hear the six sing.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: How does it fit?

Post by Phil »

real6 wrote:I have found it a pain to install an inline filter because the fuel line is so short from the petcock to the fuel inlet on the carb.

This is the problem I had. The Pingel filter is to long for a neat install but I found a filter called Golan Super Mini, think Pingel quality or better, makes for a very sano install with out looping hoses around.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”