Motor paint

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
Mickey
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Motor paint

Post by Mickey »

Hi I’m new to this forum as I recently purchased a 1979 cbx 1000. Now that the cooler weather is here I want to clean it up and repaint the motor. I am having difficulty finding a match for the engine. I can’t seem to locate color codes. Anything I have read so far provides colors for paint that is not heat paint. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. I live in Ontario.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Motor paint

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site.
VHT SP127 is a good match for the '79 motor.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You don't need 'heat paint'. That's just largely a marketing gimmick. I've painted lots of whole engines and engine parts over the years with just regular paint and it holds up fine - just as well as 'heat paint'. There is no color code for the silver engine paint. Many guys have found matches they like. I use Dupli-Color. My preference has been discontinued, but there are lots of very close silver matches. Others may weigh in here about their favorites.

Dave

cbx1956
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by cbx1956 »

Dave McM is quite correct; using his advice some years ago I cross referenced the Dupli-Color paint code which he was using for painting his engines & finally came up with the code which any reputable auto paint supplier can mix up for you. The silver is perfect & I've used it on several engine resprays now. Here are the paint codes which different paint manufacturers use:

PPG - 3796

DuPont - C8501

Or you can use GM (America) OEM code: WA8914

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:18 pm
Welcome to the site.
VHT SP127 is a good match for the '79 motor.
My vote too.
VHT is a division of Duplicolor and its close if not the same color as the discontinued Duplicolor’s silver/aluminum. This is VHT’s motor paint, acrylic enamel and basically nothing exotic or expensive, $11.00.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vht-sp127

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just be careful, there is (was) a VHT high temp silver that turned gold on CBX engines. Maybe someone knows exactly what VHT number it is.

Dave

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

daves79x wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:51 am
Just be careful, there is (was) a VHT high temp silver that turned gold on CBX engines. Maybe someone knows exactly what VHT number it is.

Dave
I think it is this one Dave - https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1423095885 SP995. I used in on a 550 engine in 2020 and as you say it turned gold on the barrels and head.

A lot of people on the SOHC forums use Simoniz - SIMVHT31D seems to get good reviews

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Thanks for the info. I will look into these products. Has anyone ever used Por 15 aluminum engine paint? I was told by a friend it is a really good product.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

...and here is another one: I have been using Evinrude Engine Silver in a rattle can (available in most Marine shops) for Honda engines for years. Perfect match and as it is heat resistant it holds up well. Used it on CB350F, 400F, CB750SOHC and CBX engines.
Hottest part of an engine is the cylinder head and in spite of all the experience people have with regular paint, you are better off using a high temp paint there.

wessi

Post by wessi »

I also had bad experience with the VHT Silver.
It went yellowish on a 2 stroke cylinder and also on my Laser 6-1 muffler for the CBX. But only yellowish, at sections, where the most heat occured.
Also bad experience in anti corrosion properties with VHT on black painted Yamaha DT 250 exhaust, which was completely rusty after Winter.
The best i ever used is Ceracote Coating.
The Glacier Black for Exhaust --> no rust and no discoloration after years and able to bare more than 1000°C and a smooth surface.
Or Glacier Silver for the Engine, Muffler and Header rings.
This paint is pricey but worth it. And it adheres well and is not as brittle as othe ceramic coatings like Silicon powder coating.
(no, i dont get money from them)
But not available in spray can, you need a compressor and a spray gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzpS-5OfyUU&t=53s

Return to “New Users - Start Here”