Brand new old stock CBX

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
Sosart
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Brand new old stock CBX

Post by Sosart »

Hello

Does someone know of any brand new old stock CBX 1000 for sale (never ridden)?

Thank you

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Brand new old stock CBX

Post by NobleHops »

A 1981 Prolink was just offered on a few of the CBX Facebook groups. Seller says it was just uncrated.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That '81 is in Europe, I think. Very likely a US school bike import - it's missing a couple of things. Not necessarily bad if the bike has remained untouched, just unlikely. Still probably a great bike, not sure $30,000 great.

Dave

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

To me, whether or not it's a school bike is irreverent at this point. It was never uncrated or touched by the un-knowing.

I've had business dealings with the seller and he's as honest as the day is long. Andre owns more CBX's, right now, than some dealerships have had in their inventory.

If I had the cheese, it would be mine.

BTW, nothing jumped out at me as missing. Care to share?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

How can it be a school bike if it was just uncrated?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

daves79x wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:45 am
That '81 is in Europe, I think. Very likely a US school bike import - it's missing a couple of things. Not necessarily bad if the bike has remained untouched, just unlikely. Still probably a great bike, not sure $30,000 great.

Dave
not $30 k value to me either but others will see it differently. Probably one reason I'm not wealthy, an inability to see what's going to be collectible. Now if it was $30K for a crated '79 that's a different story.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

EMS wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:44 am
If, (big IF) it had been given to a high school or college for educational purposes. Some were never touched, sat in a warehouse, collecting dust. But, the schools would take the gift anyway, "just in case" Honda wanted to give them a car or more, later. Instead of being scrapped as was the intent, they were sold, quietly and they eventually get out into the public.

I never asked Andre where this one came from but, he has others, still in the crate. May still have a CGR '79 CBX, Dave.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

CBX-tras wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:42 pm
EMS wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:44 am
If, (big IF) it had been given to a high school or college for educational purposes. Some were never touched, sat in a warehouse, collecting dust. But, the schools would take the gift anyway, "just in case" Honda wanted to give them a car or more, later. Instead of being scrapped as was the intent, they were sold, quietly and they eventually get out into the public.

I never asked Andre where this one came from but, he has others, still in the crate. May still have a CGR '79 CBX, Dave.
I've stopped being surprised by what turns up in barns, sheds and warehouses. We should all be skeptical but never discount the impossible.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The front fork reflectors are missing, but he says they are in the fairing pocket. Might be better to take two minutes to install them before putting it out there for sale for $30K.

Maybe it's the language/culture differences, but when this seller put a black '79 out there as 'all original', some of us questioned that too. Turns out it was a US import, very low serial number, that was either red or silver originally. The seller could only castigate us for daring to ask legit questions about his bike. Bottom line on that one was he clearly did not know what he was selling.

That's all I'm saying.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

My point was "school bikes" and "uncrated" do not go together. I am familiar with Honda's school bike "activity", I actually had one myself, and to my knowledge, the bikes were not delivered to schools in crates. Actually, most bikes, even the 1981 models that moved slowly, were taken out of the crates by dealers upon receipt from Honda and not stored in the crate until prepped for a buyer. I have a friend whose father owned a Honda dealership, and he has a "leftover" 1982 that the dealership never sold, which he put into service in 1985 and it was out of the crate since 1981.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

daves79x wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:50 am
The seller could only castigate us for daring to ask legit questions about his bike. Bottom line on that one was he clearly did not know what he was selling.

That's all I'm saying.

Dave
Absolutely agree Dave, to quote Carl Sagan "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". If someone claims a bike as unrestored original they're going to need to step up prove that the bike is worthy of that claim and attached value. It's fair game for us to pick the discrepancies only we would notice. I'd have no hesitation warning others about to spend cash on something that it's not as claimed.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:55 am
My point was "school bikes" and "uncrated" do not go together. I am familiar with Honda's school bike "activity", I actually had one myself, and to my knowledge, the bikes were not delivered to schools in crates. Actually, most bikes, even the 1981 models that moved slowly, were taken out of the crates by dealers upon receipt from Honda and not stored in the crate until prepped for a buyer. I have a friend whose father owned a Honda dealership, and he has a "leftover" 1982 that the dealership never sold, which he put into service in 1985 and it was out of the crate since 1981.
good info to know but that doesn't make it impossible just highly unlikely.

I've seen photo's of a bike in it's original Honda shipping crate, it's possible that someone put a bike back in the crate to raise it's value but that's quite an elaborate ruse.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

wyly wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:40 pm

good info to know but that doesn't make it impossible just highly unlikely.
I know, nothing is impossible. And it always amazes me what people pull to deceive ignorant buyers.

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

Here's one! A Brand new old stock 81 Prolink CBX

https://www.facebook.com/andre.gemini1/ ... 9jmgL1ZBRl

"OK Chaps.!!! Here is a brand new CBX Prolink, just taken out of the Honda crate. No miles and there has never been any fuel in the tank.!!! 41 years old and it will appreciate by at least 10% per year.
The tires have the original painting on the treads, so it has only been hand pushed for about 30 yards.
A real gem for a collector.!!! The price is £27,000. No tire kickers please and keep your negative comments to yourself.!!!
Send me a PM with your number and I will call you. Can be seen near Silverstone UK by arrangement."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Duffey Lake rd. on Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The speedometer and controls indicate that it is a North American import to the U.K. If anybody is able to get the VIN number, I may have more info

Return to “New Users - Start Here”