New member from Switzerland

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
mloftin
New Member & Happy To Be Here

New member from Switzerland

Post by mloftin »

Hi all. I have owned my CBX (CB1) since 1986. It was second hand and not really well looked after. I did quite a lot of work on it at the time and had many years of pleasant riding traveling to most parts of Europe. I then purchased a Honda 1100F Super Sport (Bol d'or in Europe) so the CBX was pushed to the end of the garage thinking I will do a good overhaul during the winter months. But the winter months have now turned into years and it's now, I can't believe it, 30 years since I rode it.
Anyway I decided to put my head in to refurbishing it a couple of months back. So far all is going well, after overhauling the carbs and most basics, valve clearances, ignition timing etc. I started her up last week and seems to run ok although I haven’t actually been out for a ride. I must say I did lok after the bike, it was kept in a dry garage and I would turn the engine over now and again to bring up the oil pressure, without actually starting it and changed the oil every so often.
I have found a good parts supplier in France at reasonable prices too. I just looking into purchasing a complete exhaust system I'm just wondering if any one has some experience with OEM parts? I'm a bit surprised as none of them have the cross balance pipe and am wondering if this has any effect on a six cylinder motor I know on the 4 cylinder bike the low end torque was not quite so good without the balance pipe.

Anyway pleased to be on this forum, seems to be loads of info, and pleased to be riding (soon) the CBX again. Safe riding to all, Martin.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: New member from Switzerland

Post by EMS »

Welcome to the ICOA forum, Martin!
One question - which also may address one of the issues you have: What model/year CBX do you have?
Only the 1981-1982 CBX-B and C have a crossover pipe between the exhaust sides.
This goes in combination with the cams and carbs.
1979 and 1980 did not have a crossover. The 1980 exhaust (HM469) was the least restrictive version.
Some of the "Delkevich" (Chinese) reproductions of the original exhaust do have a crossover.
The Sankei 2nd production run does not, I think.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Martin.
Always good to hear that another CBX is being revived and put back on the street.
Feel free to post some pics of both your Hondas.

mloftin

Post by mloftin »

Hi thanks for the information about the cross pipe the bike is classified as a CB1 Chassis no. CB1 2004805 Year 1978. The stamping on the exhaust is HMMA2 G. So probably a difference with european & US bikes. I know at the time noise restrictions were pretty loose in Europe but are really tight now days, that's why I was looking into the Marving 2/6 pipes they look like the OEM pipes and they are EU road/noise certified. I was just wondering what impact the cross/balance pipe has but probably not much. I'll send some pics soon Thanks, Martin.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Your pipe is not original to the bike. Someone changed it. It is not the difference between U.S. and Europe. The stamp HMMA2, which stands for Honda Motors MA2, was the pipe for the 81/82 Prolink and has the crossover. It is not matched to the rest of your bike's tuning (cams and carbs). Your pipes should be stamped HM422.
Chassis-No 4805 was produced in June of 1978

mloftin

Post by mloftin »

Hi EMS thanks for the info. I do remember when I purchased the bike years ago they told me the pipes had been replaced but of course I didn't realize they were not the correct ones. These are now rusted trough anyway so am looking at the Marving 2/6 as replacements (no crossover pipe). Cheers, Martin.

Return to “New Users - Start Here”