Newbie - Liverpool England

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Newbie - Liverpool England

Post by heli_madken »

Hi Everyone,

Just purchased a 1982 CBX1000 from the US -
s-l1600 (5).jpg
This is like a dream come true for me as since the first time I saw one back as a 19 year old I have wanted one and finally I am in a position to get my teeth into a thorough restoration.

I have my eyes wide open on this one as I know they are a money pit to get right, initially I want to get the bike running as it hasn't done so for a few years apparently (wonder why!).

My plan of action is to assess whether to rebuild the carbs/fuel system fully now or just a thorough clean with Berryman's as I want to see what engine issues the bike has before I start the tear down. I will also check over everything else oil/electrical etc.

Couple of questions -

Does anyone know exactly which model this bike is, I am guessing it is a C, engine number is - SC03E-2400092 and frame - SC0607CC400171?

I am a reasonable mechanic and painter with a few bike restorations under my belt but what elements of this bike are truly going to bite me?

My initial research throws up things like the alternator, quite happy to swap to an alternative aftermarket setup which is the best?

I have only just started looking through this forum but it looks like a great place to learn more and get help thanks.

Thanks for any help, cheers, Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Newbie - Liverpool England

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Ken.
Your bike looks to be in decent shape cosmetically.
If it's not running now i think a full carb rebuild should be the first thing you do. These bikes don't do well with just a couple cans of carb cleaner.
Mike Nixon offers an excellent manual and parts.
https://motorcycleproject.com/
I have both an aftermarket alternator and a stock setup that when properly maintained works fine.

Those Supertrapp pipes have a great tone.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Steve,

There are a few bumps and scrapes on the bike but for the price I have paid I think it is pretty decent.

My rational for the attempted quick clean is that I am in the middle of a CB550 restoration at the moment so wont be starting this bike for a while yet meaning if I did a complete overhaul now I would still be putting the bike into storage again. I have actually ordered a Randakk's kit so happy to rebuild now if you think its the best chance of getting the bike running.

I have the MIke Nixon book on order but read a passage from Mike about using cleaner to target the Idle, Jet and air passages whilst the carbs are still on the bike, I guess it really depends on what I find when I receive the bike. Are the outermost float bowls removable?

Thanks, Ken

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Yes, it is a "C" model. In the U.S. and Canada, they were all one color, Pearl Altair White. In other markets they could also be Magnum Silver, which was the 1981 only color in North America. Also, the rear bags were standard on all North American bikes and were an option in the rest of the world.
If your bike still has the original VIN plate riveted on the steering neck, you will see (in the upper right corner) that it was built in June 1981 (6/81).
One somewhat unusual feature for the very early 1982 models is, that many have engine serial numbers LOWER than chassis numbers. For most other models and later 82s, it is the other way around. 1982 - C - models were produced from May 1981 through January of 1982.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I have also used that quick-clean method from Mike Nixon. You might get lucky.
Yes bowls for #1 and #6 are accessible.

Feel free to post a pic or three of the CB550 when you are finished. A lot of us have other bikes as well
heli_madken wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:04 am
Thanks Steve,

There are a few bumps and scrapes on the bike but for the price I have paid I think it is pretty decent.

My rational for the attempted quick clean is that I am in the middle of a CB550 restoration at the moment so wont be starting this bike for a while yet meaning if I did a complete overhaul now I would still be putting the bike into storage again. I have actually ordered a Randakk's kit so happy to rebuild now if you think its the best chance of getting the bike running.

I have the MIke Nixon book on order but read a passage from Mike about using cleaner to target the Idle, Jet and air passages whilst the carbs are still on the bike, I guess it really depends on what I find when I receive the bike. Are the outermost float bowls removable?

Thanks, Ken

Return to “New Users - Start Here”