CBX Starter Rebuild kit Needle Roller Bearing Issue

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
cmurg
New Member & Happy To Be Here

CBX Starter Rebuild kit Needle Roller Bearing Issue

Post by cmurg »

Hi thanks for adding me to your group. I am fixing my friends prolink CBX and have come across what looks like a common issue. I have searched and cant seem to find the complete answer. Starter was faulty found one brush worn out so got a rebuild kit and proceeded to overhaul it. Replaced the needle roller bearing as the kit had a new one and then found it has the wrong inside diameter. The original (now damaged from removal) is 13.5mm and the replacement is 13mm. So annoying, can anyone tell me what the fix is as a 13.5mm bearing seems impossible to buy here in Australia.

Max

Re: CBX Starter Rebuild kit Needle Roller Bearing Issue

Post by Max »

Hi,

I found the bearing you are looking for at the web site www.123bearing.co.uk. It costs $14+shipping cost.
Best
Max

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX Starter Rebuild kit Needle Roller Bearing Issue

Post by NobleHops »

Not to break your stones, but for the benefit of future readers: That bearing gets short intermittent use and more or less never needs replacement. Clean and regrease unless it feels gravelly. Conversely, that seal that is inboard of the bearing almost ALWAYS needs replacement, that's a very hot area of the bike and the rubber has often deteriorated. We've serviced a couple dozen of those starters by now and it's usually limited to a clean-out, clean the commutator, renew all of the electrical connections, replace the brushes if needed, replace the seal and the orings, and reassemble. See you in another 40 years.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “New Users - Start Here”