You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
lovevintagebikes
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by lovevintagebikes »

Dave from Ct. Love to ride. I have a couple vintage bikes 1980 GS750E, 1981 GS650E and a "retro" 2013 CB1100. (love it) I've been riding for 30 plus years and do most repairs and maintenance.
I need some input on a deal that has come my way. An older gentleman that has Three (3) 1979 Honda CBX's is looking to sell all 3 together.
One is silver and engine locked-up while idling in the driveway (19k miles). One red with carbs off and disassembled neatly (9k miles). The last silver, also with carbs off and sitting in a drawer (5k miles) All parts are there and the bikes have been sitting in an attached garage for 6 years. He wants 3k for all three. I know this is a good deal and I'm really looking for input/opinions. Thanks
I got one running and put 150 miles so far. Couple of small issues to sort out but plenty of time now until normalcy returns.
Last edited by lovevintagebikes on Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 14 times in total.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: New member

Post by tevan »

That is a good deAl. If you pass on it or want to sell some or one of them please let me know. I need a new project. Thanks

lovevintagebikes

He' got the titles, shop manuals, magazines and other literature. He says 2 of them run and just need the carbs rebuilt and bikes put together. They're going to need the typical: all rubber parts, hoses, rebuilt brakes, m/c's. Tanks look good. Space is an issue with these monsters.

lovevintagebikes

I've been on the fence about jumping on this and need some direction I guess. It seems like a doable but huge project. One running bike is all I'm hoping for. I don't have room for the other 2 bikes in the garage. I'll part or sell the other 2.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Jump on it. That's good deal, and you'll have no trouble selling the left-overs.

BTW, a CBX is within 1/2" of being the same width as a CB-750, across the engines.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Dave.
Not a good deal, that is a great deal. Grab it quick.

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Michael Vidovic »

shouldn't have to ask. Even if you store in a relatives place. Wish I had the opportunity.
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

lovevintagebikes

Great feedback. Thanks. I'm going to get them this weekend. I just needed a push. LOL
I took some quick pics and I can't figure out how to post them here.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

For sure, grab them. Then you'll have time to look everything over and decide which one you might want to keep. You can easily fund any parts/services you need for one by selling the other two, plus a lot of $$$ left over. FYI, do yourself a favor and get the bikes all titled in your name - it will make selling any of them much easier and worth more money. If CT does not transfer titles this old, try to get the current owner to have his signature notarized on them. Looking forward to helping you along with these projects.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Let me know if/when you have any photos you want to post here. I'll be happy to help. You can mail me at cbxlarry@gmail.com
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

lovevintagebikes

daves79x wrote:For sure, grab them. Then you'll have time to look everything over and decide which one you might want to keep. You can easily fund any parts/services you need for one by selling the other two, plus a lot of $$$ left over. FYI, do yourself a favor and get the bikes all titled in your name - it will make selling any of them much easier and worth more money. If CT does not transfer titles this old, try to get the current owner to have his signature notarized on them. Looking forward to helping you along with these projects.

Dave
Thanks. I'm sure I'm going to need lots of help. I'll give the folks here first dibs on the two bikes I don't keep.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I've run into incomplete beat up parts bikes selling for $1,500 so I'd be on that. At $3k selling two should easily get one into running condition and put some cash in your pocket.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

lovevintagebikes

I'm picking up the bikes tomorrow morning. Hopefully only 2 trips (45 minutes one way). He's giving me a nice little rollaway with drawers that has the parts he removed from the bikes. lol

lovevintagebikes

anyone want to explain how to post pics?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

lovevintagebikes wrote:anyone want to explain how to post pics?

We do this all the time. Here is a tutorial from long ago. make sure you know how to resize your pictures. They have to meet BOTH requirements for image size (pixel x pixel) AND file size (KB)

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=5748

Return to “New Users - Start Here”