Bud with a 1981 CBX in Palm Desert California

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
budanddar
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Bud with a 1981 CBX in Palm Desert California

Post by budanddar »

daves79x wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:49 pm
OK First, how did you tell if your battery is good? You must do a load test to be sure. That is the most likely culprit. Then - hate to say this, but pull the right crank cover and try to turn the engine by hand. Just making sure it's free and not locked up - surely not. Most likely then is the starter, a bit fiddly to pull out, but doable. They can be rebuilt or you can buy a rebuilt/aftermarket one.

Dave
OK,
I will try the hand crank. The motor was running earlier in the day then all of this happened. Like I said, did take the starter out and when I put 12 volts to it the thing zinged right along. Still confused with the green neutral light being on when the bike is in gear. I have a 30' long set of jumper cables. Would it be advisable to hook the starter that is in the bike to the battery in my truck? It is also an new battery. If things were still awry, then it would not be the battery.

Bud

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Reviewed everything in this thread. So - the bike has not turned over since you changed the plugs? Are you positive something didn't fall into one of the spark plug holes when you changed them? There are many instances where this has happened. You need to blow everything out of the head with compressed air, then recheck each spark plug recess with a flashlight to be sure nothing can fall into the hole, before unscrewing the plugs. Rebuilt an engine once that a 6 mm screw had fallen into one hole. Threads were still imprinted in the piston crown.

Dave

budanddar
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by budanddar »

Thanks for sticking with me on this. I did use compressed air to blow out the areas around the spark plug holes before I removed them.
You know of course, some of those spark plug areas are a little hard to get to but I did choose to see the area around each before I installed the new plugs.
Will try to hand crank it this week.

Thanks again!

Bud

Return to “New Users - Start Here”