1981 Fairing /Front Headlight Removal

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
Mrjim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

1981 Fairing /Front Headlight Removal

Post by Mrjim »

I am stripping down my '81 CBX, bags and fairing. I need some help removing the front headlight and harness from the fairing. I already removed the fairing. I did buy a universal headlight fork bracket kit, but I am assuming that I will be using the fairing harness. I need advice on a headlight holder that will look good. I do have an 80 CBX as well, so it would be nice if my 81 looked like my 80 in regards to the headlight.

Thanks for any info, Jim

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 1981 Fairing /Front Headlight Removal

Post by daves79x »

No, you don't use the fairing harness at all. Just strip out the main loom from the black plastic holder in the fairing. You'll have quite a time fitting all the wiring into any headlight bucket smaller than the CBX one, even then it's tough. A 9 inch Suzuki GS 1100 headlight bucket is perfect, but scarce as a CBX one. You can use a CB750/900F bucket - it looks like the CBX one, but a bit shorter and you CAN get all the wires in, but it's really tough. Why not get the proper CBX headlight mounting bracket? They are relatively cheap. Then the gauges, signals, horn and headlight all mount as they ae supposed to.

Dave

Mrjim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mrjim »

Thanks Dave,
Sounds like I would just look for a 79 or 80 cbx headlight bucket and brackets from a Honda dealer ship? Additionally you said not to us the fairing harness, but it sounds like I am using part of it by your post. As you know, I cannot get my hand inside the hole to disconnect the headlight, so I leave that there and untape everything else to include the fuses?
I am a good electrician, so that is the easy part.

Jim

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The 'fairing harness' is a separate part number. The main harness travels out the metal fairing mount and into the little black plastic box that rests in the fairing. You need all that is contained in the black box. You need a shop manual to review the procedure for fairing removal. It will become pretty clear what you save and what you don't when you get it apart.

As for the early headlight bucket and bracket, they were long ago NLA from Honda. The bracket is readily available, but the buckets are very expensive for a good one ($300-plus). As I said, a 750/900F bucket will work if you get creative with the wiring. They look exactly the same, except a little shorter. If you don't mind the expense, Louis can fix you right up: usedcbxparts@hotmail.com

Dave

Mrjim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mrjim »

Thanks Dave, I'll keep you posted as to my progress! So the small fuse holder that was mounted in the fairing storage glove box all stays with the fairing as well?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, fairing fuse wiring stays with it.

Dave

keithw
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by keithw »

Hi everyone, thanks for having me in your club. I joined a few months ago but was challenged at getting this far on the forum.
I brought a 1982 CBX1000 8 months ago. It has 10,000 miles on it and has been out of the weather going by its condition.
Some might say i distroyed it but i removed the faring and the side bags.
Im after a headlight as i have read from other reviews. At present it looks very neat with the std light into a stainless basin.
Id like a speedo in KLH or a overlay over the existing face.
Does anyone have a speedo in KLH ??????
Im sure you will hear more from me now that im able to log on.
Cheers for now, Keith, Brisbane, Australia.

Return to “New Users - Start Here”