Hello From British Columbia, Canada

You are seeing roughly half of our forum - what's here, how to register to see the remainder
TinBC
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Hello From British Columbia, Canada

Post by TinBC »

I am a long time Honda enthusiast and I am currently looking for my first CBX which I hope to purchase before the end of the riding season here in Canada. Looking around the site I see that it is going to be a wealth of information from a very knowledgeable group of people so I am planning to ask a lot of questions once I have my new ride. I am currently riding a '02 VTX 1800C that I have owned since '03 and have put a trouble free 125k km on it.
Thank you for letting me part of this association and I am looking forward to meeting some of the members.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Hello From British Columbia, Canada

Post by NobleHops »

Welcome, T!

Great intro, by the way. CBXs come in a few flavors, which one are you most interested in? The classic red ‘79? Or a pearl Prolink 82? There are a few guys here that restore/build bikes and if you have some sense of what you’re looking for, you might find it’s being created now, or someone knows where it is.

Best,

Nils Menten
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

End of the riding season? In B.C.?
I thought you guys rode year round? :-)

btw, welcome to the site.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

:text-welcomewave: to the forum!

TinBC

Post by TinBC »

NobleHops wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:40 pm
Welcome, T!

Great intro, by the way. CBXs come in a few flavors, which one are you most interested in? The classic red ‘79? Or a pearl Prolink 82? There are a few guys here that restore/build bikes and if you have some sense of what you’re looking for, you might find it’s being created now, or someone knows where it is.

Best,

Nils Menten
Thanks for the welcome Nils. I am open to any of the bikers but in my mind I am leaning towards a '79 in any colour.

TinBC

Post by TinBC »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:11 pm
End of the riding season? In B.C.?
I thought you guys rode year round? :-)

btw, welcome to the site.
They may ride year around down on the coast and out on Vancouver Island but here in the interior we have up to 4' (1.2m) of snow on the ground some years. Cheers.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

TinBC wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:43 am
NobleHops wrote:
Welcome, T!

Best,

Nils Menten
Thanks for the welcome Nils. I am open to any of the bikers but in my mind I am leaning towards a '79 in any colour.
If I recall there was a Blue 79 listed on kijiji (Winnipeg)a day or two ago, $15k I believe. They didn't come in blue of coarse and I think 15K is too much for that one but prices are going up for CBX's so maybe it is fair as $20K seems to be the new minimum around here for a nice 79.

I do know if you keep a close eye on Kijiji there are still bargains to be had but you need to be very quick before they're sold. A rebuild project can easily cost $10-15K if restored to oem specs.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

TinBC

Post by TinBC »

wyly wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:20 pm
TinBC wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:43 am
NobleHops wrote:
Welcome, T!

Best,

Nils Menten
If I recall there was a Blue 79 listed on kijiji (Winnipeg)a day or two ago, $15k I believe. They didn't come in blue of coarse and I think 15K is too much for that one but prices are going up for CBX's so maybe it is fair as $20K seems to be the new minimum around here for a nice 79.

I do know if you keep a close eye on Kijiji there are still bargains to be had but you need to be very quick before they're sold. A rebuild project can easily cost $10-15K if restored to oem specs.
Thanks for the info Wyly. I did see the listing but have been hoping to find one a little closer to home...I must admit though, I am enjoying the thrill or the chase.

Maddex

Post by Maddex »

Looks like I was faster, bought mine 82 Prolink on September 1.( 10 days after your post) from Richmond BC. Sorry, but no sorry. After 4 years of occasionally searching I was lucky enough to grab one of those beauty.

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

I sold 2 CBXs to a Richmond BC Yamaha - Honda dealer in 1990, a black 80 and a silver 79, for $2,500 each and he shipped them back to Japan. Back then, Japan limited the sale of street bikes to 750cc, so dealers here bought as many as they could and shipped them out.
I currently have an 80 CBX, compared to the 79, they have a milder, more mid-range cam, no clutch rattle, air-assisted front forks, vacuum-operated fuel valve, needle bearing swingarm, a 10 mm wider rear wheel, inverted wheel pattern, and a handy glove box in the tailpiece.
One thing to remember is that Honda dealers here don't want to work on anything less than 20-25 years old, so you have to
gather up all the parts for them beforehand.

-Scott

Return to “New Users - Start Here”