79 Dragbike resto

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 79 Dragbike resto

Post by Gearheadgregg »

daves79x wrote:Those are worn. More important is the sliding gears the shift forks ride in. I’ve found them worn to the point that the fork would not slide the gear far enough to fully engage. Both slider and gear do wear.

Dave
I finally went down to the shop last knight to take a closer look with my best glasses :-) that dog hole is worse than i thought , i put the end side of my caliper square into the hole and it is actually reamed inside like a funnel meaning when i put the 2 dogs together and twisted it wanted to push out from another . No doubt when this happens under power and pops in and out that has to put a lot of pressure on the fork most likely damaged it also , Lots of drag bike racing is done clutcless , I have watch guys hold the rev limiter and just slammed their foot down and in first at the line without touching the clutch handle ..Dave think i will take your advise and find a later complete trans and forks found one from a guy on fleabay that i have purchased lots of stuff , my thinking is most would never pound on their CBX like this one has been through , Thanks for the look. kinda fun seeing what the heck is in this ole boy anyway, Rods appear stock motor is very smooth likely it was balanced,,I was impressed at first ride how happy the motor was wants to scream ! lol,,

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

desertrefugee wrote:Glad to see you getting after it, Greg. Guess the notion of a second summer without the CBX was too much to bear…

Also cool to see the engine builder was going for the gusto. Wonder if it has stock cams…?
I found a number on the Camshafts , It has Megacycle cams in it i have the number noted somewhere , pretty stout profile when i was looking at their specs , kinda of sad seeing it in peaces but the thought of have metal shavings floating around was enough too park it , Glad to have the old trusty Supercharged 18 year old GL to cruise on . i will keep up progress updated here , time to call Louis and start my list for parts. Greg ..Oh Darrell enjoy that AZ weather , Ball freezing here about 6* yesterday :o

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

FalldownPhil wrote:Nice looking head !!
Best,
Phil
Phil from 2 guys that ride Supercharged/Turbocharged Bikes, the Built naturally aspirated street ponder can get expensive too,, Someone put a little cash in this bike 35 years ago , Still miss Whittier blvd cruising on a nice warm Friday night back the mid 1970's .Enjoy your weather Greg

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Rods,are balanced , see the material removed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Cleaning up the bottom case, Oil Pump re install ? Shop manual does not specify Oil pump torque in the oil pump page .In the beginning of this chapter has a list of torque specs for 10-12 mm ect,,, 10 mm looks like 20-24 lbs, Looked in a few different places and that seems alot for a 10 mm ? Greg

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Might be inch/pounds?
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

I was thinking the same , i have 10mm studs on my headers on my GL , and they are 7 ft lbs , or the damn studs will pull out , but 24 ich lbs is like = 2 ft lbs .....kinda loose

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Standard torque for the 10mm bolts is 20-24 ft-lbs. Are you sure the oil pump bolts are 10mm?? It is the diameter of the bolt, not the hex head size.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I believe those bolts are 6mm not 10mm as ems says.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

They are 6 mm thanks guys , now I can spend they day doing somthing other than extracting broken bolts , Greg

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

81 trans came, now have 2 complete sets for parts, noticed the C1 gear dog holes are different than the 79, both the 81s have the smaller doghole, little better shape than mine lol, my forks looked tired also and can see wear on the forks wear the gear was hitting too pic, 81 shift fork center has no hole in casting looks stronger, 81 vin #SC03E-2300189 ,,eng I'D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You see now the difference in the middle shift fork. Just the ends of the fork (which are wider than the rest of the fork) engage the slider gear, whereas the '79 fork contacts the whole radius. This results in the wear you see, both on the fork and the slider gear. You'll be happy with the result. Pay VERY close attention when re-assembling the gears on the shafts. And also note the direction the shift fork locating shaft goes - it will only work one way, but will go in either way.

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Ok thanks Dave, Think i read you also said dont mix max gears from 79-82, i did not notice until looking at this picture on the C-1 gears side by side they are a different cut they could not mesh with other years ..glad i have 2 sets, looking close i see a casting flaw in 3rd gear looks like a little chip very small but think i will slide it off and use gear from other spear, i will do a back-lash measure tomorrow indicator in the trans and check closely, Again thanks every body for your tips

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

So to what extent are the gear box components of the '79 and '81/'82 interchangeable?

- selector forks are different, but I assume are compatible with each gearbox?
- are selector drums the same?
- the C1 gears are different as above, are all others the same?
- do you need a matching pair of counter and mainshaft gears?

Is the '81/'82 overall a better gearbox?

Paul.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

That is a good question , The shift drum is interchangeable and forks , I opted to use a complete 81 trans and all forks drum ect, not to experiment 8) too much of that in my past, took 60 years to understand "If all else fails read the directions" :D
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Project Threads”