Japan made 80

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Japan made 80

Post by CopperCollar »

Jan, I have a low SN 79, wanna trade... :laughing-rolling:
I should tell you it's just the frame and bare engine cases...nothing else....but I do have the title and the engine cases are original to the frame.
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

That would be EVEN MORE of a jigsaw than I currently have. Scratching though boxes trying to find the right bolts... And I already have a 1979 lined up to be done next. Thanks for the offer though!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Well further investigation into the leak down test has revealed leaky valves. There is a chance that they will seal once run in so that is my course of action whilst I look for another head that is worthwhile. If funds were unlimited this head would have received the full monty...stainless steel valves, seats, kibblewhite springs and so on.

So fingers crossed that this thing seals better with the run in. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

CopperCollar wrote:I just hope she runs!
Are we there yet? :lol:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Not yet but getting close.
Have oil lines to install, rear brake to bleed, #2 header pipe (how the hell the original got twisted I don't know), Battery, Air Cleaner, Chain, Speedometer and Tachometer cables.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

For an average bike to start with, this would be an amazing build, but from what you started with, it is truly exceptional!

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

You do excellent work, Mike.
She is a beauty.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Thanks Mucho!

I sourced a #2 header pipe today and installed that, then I bleed the rear brake. The oil hoses from TEVAN arrived today so I had to put those on :lol:

Tevan makes up some fine stainless steel hoses. I wanted to stay original but these just look right, the way the factory should have done it.

I find my patience taxed at times with this 80 and have found stepping back and grabbing a sip or two of this helps; guess my patience has been taxed a lot :laughing-lettersrofl:
It's good I am going to Chattanooga this week. I am down to my last mason jar.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Next project is in the foreground, the current one is behind it. The 80 was in worse shape but given it was one of the rarer Japanese ones I choose to restore it first. The 79 in the foreground looks rough but is in pretty good condition. It appeared to be crashed and then parked with very low miles. The engine turns over easy, the alternator clutch looks like it has never spun, I am not sure why the top end was off though. All in all it will be an easier restore since I am not stripping it to the frame. My plan is to touch up the frame, clean the wheels which are in great shape, source a headlight bracket, headlight bucket, and instrument cluster. I have a tank, tail piece and side covers, as for the seat a corbin should do and for exhaust I have a set of Kerker in fair shape.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Spent the day chasing an electrical Gremlin but got it whipped.

Filled the crankcase with oil and she spun over very nicely, got 60 pisg with just the cranking motor. Still have to get new spark plug terminals and wiring the coils but at least I know it will spin over.

Wont' be able to work on the bike for a couple of weeks. Hopefully she will start once I get plugs, caps and coils wired.

Almost there!

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

:-)

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Back from Tennessee, had a blast riding there despite the rain. What was even cooler was ethanol free gas available!

Anyway I cranked up the 80, terrible ...terrible noise that partially goes away with pulling the clutch. More investigation leads me to believe the I screwed the pooch in regards to carb rebuild.

I have 120 psig compression ( compensated for 6,000' would be about 145 psig ). 1 and 3 headers are cold , I have great spark so ....off come the carbs. I was pretty meticulous but ....well we all know the drill.

Mike

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Good luck!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Carbs off, cleaned and assembled. I found nothing obvious during the cleaning process.

Mounted the carbs and was rewarded with a quick start and smooth running engine that I am sure will improve with a carb balance. Still haven't gotten the hang of a bench sync but getting better.

Very little left to do now....rebuild peacock, install drive chain, get a new clutch switch.

I'll name this one Verlassene, that's German for Forsaken...she was abused and left for parts in a garage. A long 4 year project finally coming to an end.

Three more to go though, crap.....I'll be 75 when I complete the last one!

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Well done Mike !!
I know it is a sweet one.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Return to “Project Threads”