Japan made 80

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Japan made 80

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

What's a couple years among friends.
Nice work on the scrapes.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

No kidding! Has it been that long? :laughing-lettersrofl:

Had a rough couple of years. Finally getting it back together and back to something that brings me satisfaction .
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

r3sc
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by r3sc »

Hi Mike,

Pleased you're back to it! I can't wait to hear about the motor rebuild and the possible horrors within!

Keep it coming!

Pete.

nizzan1984

Post by nizzan1984 »

It's amazing to see the progress of your build by the photos in your original post, it's definitely inspiring!

Did you do anything to your rear cowl to make the trunk cover sit flush? I have a Jap 80' as well, with the trunk cover gap about 1/2in from the cowl. I carry often on rides into unknown areas, and I worry about someone peeking at my little glock sitting inside lol.

Keep the photos coming!

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Been on the road for the last few weeks with a friend from Germany.

That hinged door is a crap shot, many I have seen and one I have are warped and do not sit flush. I have toyed with using heat but..... One risks damaging the paint.

Mike Nixon bored out the cylinders for a set of .025 OS pistons that Nils secured from Phil for me! Many tabs guys!

I still have carbs to rebuild and electrical work to do before I can fire her up.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

In the process of restoring this 80 it was noted when sitting the engine in the frame that the chain protector was missing. I did a web search and looked on ebay . The chain protectors on ebay were pretty pitiful and expensive; those on the web were NLA. Thanks to Phil I was able to get a chain protector but I still need three more for future projects.

I have three more CBXs to restore (somehow the most pitiful CBXs find there way to me) and was wondering if this is a part that can be made as I will need three more of these.

Nils put me in contact with a machinist who might take on this project. The machinist made repro chain protectors that I plan on using with my future projects. They are good and I don't think I could tell a NOS from the Repro if I didn't know better.

The top Chain Protector is the Repro.

Mike

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That's amazing, Mike! Good luck with your projects.

Dave

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

As you know Dave, these projects are taking a lot of time and cbx parts are drying up and or have become very pricey. Most of the stuff I have gets remanufactured on the work bench. Stuff I would pitch is now refurbished and that sure adds a lot of time to the process.

I have had a couple of local guys ask me to build a cbx for them but when I give them a quote and time to complete they quickly decide the CBX is not for them.

There are 5 more of these chain protectors with the machinist ; if interested PM me and I'll send you his contact info. I am not sure he will make anymore.

Mike

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Thanks Mike, I've got a couple squirreled away. For what though, I don't know. For all of the reasons you mentioned, I've lost real interest in restoring CBXs for myself or to sell. I'll do work for customers for time and material, but that's about it. Doesn't take long to burn through 12-15 K in a CBX restoration.

Dave

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I understand Dave, I have come to the same conclusion in regards to motorcycles in general. I would rather ride now than spin a wrench. I quess that's why it's taking me a couple of years to get a project completed.....that and the $$$$$ we have to put in to do a good job. I may do one more CBX then call it done. Having to much fun riding my K1600!

One thing I see/hear and can echo the thought of; seeing if we can get an additional tab in each category where we can log tips. Not questions/answers but a database of how to. Such as aligning the carbs during assembly, extracting slow jets, that ever present shift fork rod that gets put in wrong.

This site is ripe for that and it provide a nice legacy for all of you who have put years into these machines.

Mike

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Slow progress on this 80. Finally assembled the top end. Out of curiosity I ran a leak down test before I installed the cams. Leak down was 12% across the board; the only air I heard was from the crankcase. I believe once the engine is run and the rings bed in the leak down will improve. Had a little SNAFU with the cams. The engine wouldn't rotate through a 360 spin and it did before I placed the left side cams. Pulled the cams out and re-installed them. This time the engine spun a full 360. Once I get new oil cooler lines and a battery I will run compression test; should be good as it takes some effort to spin the engine from the crank with a wrench.
Before

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Lookin' good Mike!

Dave

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Thank you Dave!

I just hope she runs!

Mike

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

CopperCollar wrote:Thank you Dave!

I just hope she runs!

Mike
I always hold my breath on that first startup :lol:
such a great feeling when they fire up :D it just never gets old and I do a little dance :oops:
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

Another Japanese '80 project being started...
IMG_6552[1].JPG
A big 3-D jigsaw, as a lot of the parts were not there. At least the frame and motor were there. Need a headlamp bracket and a horn, and as usual spending a lot of time looking for the correct (and CBX specific) fasteners...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Return to “Project Threads”