630 master link

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
dvb
New Member & Happy To Be Here

630 master link

Post by dvb »

I have a 79 cbx and have a new 630 chain with solid pin master link. I have contacted all the cycle shops around me if they could install chain and master link. None of them have a tool for crimping the master link. All they have goes up to 520 chains with hollow pins. One sevice guy suggested using a c- clamp with a small ball bearing on end to peen over end, just don't over tighten. What does everyone else do? If I would have known it was going to be such a big problem I would have convered to the 520. I'm aleady invest in this project with new chain and sprockets. Any information would be helpfull. thanks

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 630 master link

Post by tevan »

Order a clip type master link and make sure you install it in the right direction. I have used many of them and have had no issues.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Too bad that you bought a new chain already. The sensible thing to do is changing to a 530 chain on the 79 CBX.
When I was still using a 630 on mine, I used a clip also. Worked perfectly fine.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Having just talked about shops not working on older bikes it is still hard to believe they wouldn't sort out your chain.
Yes to clips.

Joner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Joner »

Still using a master link clip on my 630 chain no problems.

Cheers
Chris J.
Grey-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.

dvb

Post by dvb »

Well I did get a hold of a honda dealer that told me they could install the 630 chain. So this morning I went down there with new chain and master link. It was in the back shop for about 1/2 and they said my bike was done. Great! I went out and saw my bike with the new chain on it and all is well, but I wanter to see how the flattened rivit looked; so I turned the rear wheel and to my surpise I saw my old clip link installed with the new o rings. $62. I thought I would share that little story with anyone interested. I think I will buy a new clip master link and change it out my self.
End of story.

Joner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Joner »

Ouch !

Cheers
Chris J.
Grey-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.

Return to “Project Threads”