Tidying up a '79

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Tidying up a '79

Post by Mello »

I picked up my '79 on the 2 Jan. I rode her home (about 50km), or should say spluttered my way home. We got her going but she wouldn't idle, brakes were terrible (no back brake at all), throttle stiff, suspension tired, etc.

The bike had not been "serviced" in at least 6 years so first task was off to the parts shop for air and oil filtres, pulgs, oil, brake fluid and some strong degreaser. They didn't have the air filter but had the rest. Did the oil change and was changing the plugs while the old oil drained. plug 3 had seized and stripped some of the threads out. When I put the new plug in, it wouldn't tighten.

After I finished the quick oil change, brake bleed etc, gave her a quick wash. it was late in the evening by now so the main aim was to get most of the gunk around the engine and wheels off. There's a bunch of us that meet for coffee on fridays so I rode my new pride and joy to the meet.

One of the guys recomended a fella he'd used to sort his CB750 carbs out. We stopped off there after coffee and ended up leaving the bike for the "expert" to look and and clean the carbs out / balance etc. While the bike was there, I found a guy who installs Helicoils, so he went around and sorted plug hole 3 for me. Money well spent! Eventually got the bike back on friday with not much (effective) work having been done. She didn't run properly, bike shop guy couldn't get a filter so made a plan with the old (paper) filter. Hmmm, not impressed.

So I then decided I would do it myself but first needed a filter to make sure this was the cause of the poor running. Also on my list is an original headlight bracket and indicators. My Saturday morning hunt was somewhat successful with an air filter found and possibly a bracket - holding thumbs on that one.

Took the bike for a long ride (around 150kms). She may have run a bit better but not what I was expecting from the big 6. When I let her run past about 7500 rpm, the 6 cyclinders were working perfectly - the sound I was expecting from this bike had made an appearance. Wow! Strong power too.

Got home and decided the carbs needed a clean. Tried to do it in situ but even removing the brackets between the carbs, I cound't get the top of 2 and 5 off. The carbs would need to come off ....

One and a half beers later, the engine was tilted. Prised the carbs off and started cleaning. I was amazed at the crud that came out of these things - amazing that she ran so well! Should ahve taken some pics. I ran out of carb cleaner halfway through. Got some more sunday. Looks like the accelerator pump diaphram is toast, so need to get one of those.

And that's where I am now. My idea was to just tidy the bike up a bit at this point and get her running. We have a classic/ veteran bike run from Durban to Johannesburg begining of March (DJ run) which I'd like to follow. The CBX is way too young to participate though (must be pre 1936!).

On the to do list:
1. Suspension - Hagon shocks in the workshop (mate of mine had these kicking about), Progressive spring for front end on order.
2. Carb clean - in progress.
3. Clocks fix - speedometer not working but odo is.
4. Paint / power coat various bits.
5. General clean up of bike as she's very dirty and needs some love.
6. Get rid of the fairing - not prioity now though. Interestingly, I beleive this was a locally made kit that was fitted to a number of CBX's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Tidying up a '79

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

So you did get to hear and feel the bike running well above 7500? Kind of addictive, isn't it.
The Mike Nixon book on carbs is money well spent.[as are the rest of his manuals]
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... knook.html

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Nice project! Was this a US-issue bike originally? Has proper bars for Euro/world market, but standard-issue US footplates. Just curious.

Take your time with the carbs or you'll be pulling them a couple of more times. Please ask lots of questions.

Dave

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

So there are no short cuts with the carbs? :(

Maybe I was being hopeful but wanted to give them a good clean and get them back on the bike so I can ride her. Perhaps I should calm down and do it properly. I saw Mike's book as well as the carb rebuild kit and was tempted but it's big money (especially when postage is included to SA). And, I can't find an accelerator pump diaphragm - Honda here says "discontinued"?

I know what the answer is but will ask anyway. What do you guys recomend I do?

Good news is that my new cables, fork seals etc. have arrived.

Dave, not too sure about the bike's history, except for the last 6 years. Generally, the bikes we get are to Euro spec rather than US. To be honest, I hadn't noticed the different foot plates but lloking a pics on the web, there seem to be a few sinilar to mine (lower bars with same plates)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you want carb parts, I can get them and ship pretty reasonably (compared to what the vendors quote). I do it all the time to New Zealand. Yes, there are lots of US version CBXs out there with low bars, but no one ever bothered to change the footplates. Correct low-bar kit included footplates also.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

To me it looks like a U.S. spec bike. Rear shocks, short rear fender, large alternator, footpeg plates, all indicate U.S. spec. Somebody probably changed the handlebars when they put the fairing on.Even the throttle cables look like the have the metal sleeve and they just rotated the switchgear to clear the tank.The carb ID could probably tell

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

Thanks for the info. The carbs are VB60A with the air cut off valve. The cables do have the metal sleeves. The rest, I will have to take your word for this :D

Thanks Dave, will send you a pm.

Cheers,
Mike

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just noticed the throttle cables. You should take this opportunity to replace them with the proper ones.

Dave

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

daves79x wrote:Just noticed the throttle cables. You should take this opportunity to replace them with the proper ones.

Dave
I hope I ordered the proper ones. Thought they would arrive today (that's what the nice lady at the courier company said). Will post a pic when I get them.

Was trying to remove the bars and stripped the Allen head of the one fork cap / bolt. Grrrr. So it is stuck and I can't get at it. Will need to drop the fork in the yokes and get it out. It's not going to be pretty after that, might have to get 2 matching ones made. :sad-roulette:

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

Incidentally, the crash bars are apparently original fitment by honda South Africa. It was law back then to have crash bars on bikes.

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

Got the fork cap off quite easily in the end. :think: No idea why I battled so much before, stripping the Allen head in the process. I had sprayed a liberal amount of penetrating oil to assist and on inspection, there was a bit of damage on the threads. Easily cleaned with a thread file. Only problem may be that the little plastic cap may not want to stay in place on its own.

Dropped a bunch of stuff at the powder coaters – engine mounts, exhaust brackets, clip-ons, crash bars. The side stand rubber “foot” and the top yoke nut didn’t want to be removed so I sprayed some of the magic oil on them. Will try again tonight.

Next, more cleaning. I can’t believe how much dirt is still coming off this bike – 34 years’ worth? :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

Got the rubber foot out the side stand and removed the top yoke. All ready to drop at the power coater but it’s raining now – don’t feel like putting my rain suit on so will wait it out.

Did some more cleaning of various parts. Repaired a small bit that broke off the right hand control when I removed it. Going to try giving the switches a coat of rattle can paint using NobleHops’ method (if I recall correctly). Mate of mine left his smokes at my house a while back so the “brush” for the lettering is sorted. :-)

Received some parts in the post – do the cables look correct?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Yes, those are the proper throttle cables for the top-exiting control.
Even better, they have the mid-cable adjustment. The last set i ordered did not have that feature.

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

I ordered the carb rebuild kit, hopefully it will be here by end of the week so I can have a bash at the carbs again. Thanks for the advice Dave. I know I would have been disappointed had she not run properly.

The bits I sent to the powder coaters are ready for collection so I will take the car to work tomorrow and collect them. I also sent the instruments in for repair - speedo was not working and the needle had fallen off. I had put the instruments in my bike's top box and ridden through to the shop. The shaking around had released a lot of metal shavings into the gauge. It had been grinding itself to pieces!

I took the fairing off but now need a headlight bracket. Found a breakers yard that may have one; they must just look for it. I saw lots of engine parts that look like they were from cbx's and there were 2 cbx's missing engines and other parts. One was supposedly for rebuild (79 or 80 model) and the other for spares (pro link). Failing that, I will have to use something in the meantime.

With not much to do while I wait for the carb kit, I decided to see what the new shocks would look like. Removed the left one and found that the new ones were slightly longer, or the old ones had collapsed a bit. Removed the right side, fully expecting the swing arm to hit the floor, but it just stayed in position! Tried moving it but it was very stiff. Could explain why the rear end felt so unresponsive. Took the swing arm off and sure enough, the bushes are solid. Don't think it ever saw any additional grease. Currently soaking some penetrating oil through it.

Noticed a number stamped on the gearbox casing 54 118.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I think your number means it was the 54th engine made in 11-78. Not sure, but EMS and others here know the code for sure. That number should be stamped on both halves of the cases.

Dave

Return to “Project Threads”