Put a Windjammer on my 'X'

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Put a Windjammer on my 'X'

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Oh come on now, really ? Show of hands, who thought I would, actually, go ahead and do that?
But, it opens the door to the fact that I had ugly wires to hide, that were behind my speedo unit, remember? Also I just found the front end, somewhat, unfinished.
Which brings us to today's salute to our workshop friend, Mr. Fiberglass.
Turns out there are all sorts of forms readly available. For instance, who knew that an icing container, that was headed to the recycling bin, had the same diameter as my headlights? Tubes were formed & placed over the lights;

Looking around my assortment of cra....er, stuff, a fender from an old iteration of my SR fit the bill. It was used as a mold (suitable coated with my 'secret' releasing agent....liquid dish soap).:

Out of the 'mold', cut & fitted, loosely for sizing;

The three sections bonded together, formed & primered. Also showing a section I saved from old fairing, that I intend to cut further and use as a 'floating' shield;

Drawing the shape needed for the upper bracket on cardboard. I transfer this onto alloy sheet & cut it out. The bracket will be polished, as a final step;

The lower bracket for the glass is a, modded, CV boot clamp ( stainless, with a nice reinforcement edge to it ). I used some old, alloy, button-head fairing retainers from my Duc, to hold the glass in place. I think it looks ok, not too sure about the 'eyebrows' though. I wanted a bit of colour on the fairing and wanted to keep it to a minimum.

I like how well it fits to the speedo unit, almost like it was made for it, doncha think? Also, you can see the new master resevoir, that Santa brought, in the pics. That's it for now, Cadets !

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Put a Windjammer on my 'X'

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Ok, I couldn't get myself to love the 'eyebrows', and the polished upper bracket was just drawing too much attention to itself. My chums are divided, regarding, the 'floating' shield bit ( but that I do think is kinda cool, so it stays).
I shot some more color and now I'm a happy (ier) bunny ;

Last edited by bikeymikey748 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Your skill and creativity blow my mind equally Mikey. Incredible. This looks cool as hell and one of a kind, like the rest of the bike.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Dude, you really scared me there - I thought you might have actually put a real, honest to god Vetter Windjammer!

Looks awesome, congrats on yet another nice touch added to an already fantastic bike. :)
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It has been done. Some people have no respect :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This shot was obtained just before the bike was parted out and the evidence destroyed...

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

Had a Windjammer on my 80 when I bought it. Previous owner liked to smoke. I could never figure why I couldn't keep up with the other CBX's in the pack. Removed the Windjammer and had a new bike. Thing weighed nearly 30#.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Hey Nick, did it have forward located highway pegs too..???? :D :D
What is new with you in the bike department? Anything?

Return to “Project Threads”