Frame painting or coating

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
preston
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Frame painting or coating

Post by preston »

Painting verses powder coating??? If I remember correctly the frames from the factory were painted in a laquer paint, if flexed the paint would crack, we inspected frames when bikes came into the shop after crashing looking fo cracked paint on the frame. With powder coating ( basically plastic beads that are melted to form a finish) it is so flexable that you can dent the metal and not crack the finish. Something to consider when reconditioning your frame.
Although powdercoating would be my choice in reconditioning due to the even coating and duribality. Maybe paint the frams and powdercoat all the other components.

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Frame painting or coating

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments. Preston I'm considering all the angles.

The frame is very nice and have found no damage, even beneath the battery area. I will install a sealed battery and do away with the corrosive acid fumes. I just replaced the battery in my airplane with a sealed unit. It does away with the fear of cracked or clogged cell chamber vent hoses and being an AGM it will not freeze since the electrolyte is a paste compound and not a liquid.

There does seem to be a lite bit of corrosion under the existing paint and maybe Honda used a clear wash primer since there appears to be nothing on the backside of the chips. But, still not bad for a 31 year old paint job. Do you suppose Honda dipped the frames and blew them dry with high speed heated air?

Any way, if Christmas s good, maybe I'll have a better camera to post picks with or I'll send them to Nils.

Later, George in Delaware
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Return to “Project Threads”