'Diamond in the rough'

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 'Diamond in the rough'

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I like that you have turned a boring, nondescript part like a brake master cylinder into a cool looking, jewel-like bit of hardware.
Nice work, Mikey.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:I like that you have turned a boring, nondescript part like a brake master cylinder into a cool looking, jewel-like bit of hardware.
Nice work, Mikey.
X2 :clap:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Rick Pope wrote:
steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:I like that you have turned a boring, nondescript part like a brake master cylinder into a cool looking, jewel-like bit of hardware.
Nice work, Mikey.
X2 :clap:

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

When I see outstanding creativity and attention to detail like this and on Phils Z I'm embarrassed :oops: to even look at my ratty ride hidden in the garage :violin:

But in my defense I am on a pension and have zero skills :roll: 8)
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Thanks, gents, for the kind remarks.

Funny thing, I mentioned my oil temp gauge/dipstick online and folks were asking after it. Sure it’s been covered here before, but just in case....
The one I’m using covers a wide spread of Honda models. These are its dimensions.

These are what the stock and aftermarket bits measured in at. Slightly odd, but the fitment is fine.

The gauge comes with no oil level indicators. It’s slightly longer as well, but that is of no consequence. I measured the stock level indicators, and masked the new bit off so my hand-held sand blaster could mark the level range. Sidebar: these small ‘blasters really come in handy for a bunch of jobs. Recommended.

I like to snug the unit in place with some slip-joint pliers that grab ONLY on the knurled section.

But...as you can see, the gauge face is upside down. No worries, the gauge/dipstick move independently of the knurled housing. You can likely adjust things with your fingers, but I prefer a small strap wrench. Also, as the ‘O’ ring compresses over time, you are free to readjust the gauge’s face to whichever position suits you.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

‘Morning folks.
Today’s instalment comes under the heading of ‘Useless Information you Really don’t Need but what the Hell’.
The cockpit for this season...

Voltmeter, gear position indicator, Koso multifunction (10,000rpm.) unit, and the newest addition...and hour meter.
I actually think it a great idea. Helps you keep track of a BUNCH of stuff. Hours vs mileage since last service/rebuild. Time in the saddle vs miles on a particular ride. Hours vs mileage totals for a season of riding, etc.
Neat unit. With the exception of a thin wire you snug onto the rear of the unit and any high tension (plug) lead, the unit is non-serviceable, self-contained, and waterproof. Battery is supposed to last three years...stay tuned. Easy to mount as well. Best part? Inexpensive 8)

I wash the Mighty ‘X’ after each ride and had lately noticed grundge building up between the carb insulators and the head. Seemed to be ‘popping’ slightly on overrun as well. A quick check revealed the, original, clamps to be bottomed-out. There was no hope of cinching them any further. Didn’t want to go with the same setup so scored some Oetiker stepless screw clamps. Problem solved. Recommended!

Oh and the plates on the pods? Small shields I fabbed to keep the oil on them off my jeans. Work pretty well, actually :-)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

:clap:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

110km. from Casa Common and the tranny locks in fourth gear. No worries getting home, thanking my lucky stars it was in fourth, not higher or lower.
Turns out to be an easy fix. The, tiny, return spring of the shifter pawl had snapped. Luckily I had an extra on hand.

You can see how much the red anodizing has faded on the lower hose fitting. Time for some love from Duplicolor Metalcast!

First, strip off the remaining anodizing with oven cleaner...

Next, after some light sanding with fine (800 grade) wet/dry sandpaper, polish the bits...

First coats of Metalcast and a proctective spray of clear coat (the Metalcast chips easily without it). Hint: avoid putting on too many/too heavy coats of Metalcast the colour deepens with overapplication...

Finally, everything back in place and ready to roll.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Good to see it was anything too deep in the transmission.
Always like you using the repair manual as a backdrop in pics. It is considerably more worn than the start of this thread. :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I've held that metalcast paint in my hands multiple times and wondered if it's any good. These results look fantastic.

I hate to say it, but now the blue looks like it needs a touch-up. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

bikeymikey748 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:13 am
‘Morning folks.

I like new clamps as well :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:29 pm
Always like you using the repair manual as a backdrop in pics. It is considerably more worn than the start of this thread. :-)
True enough, Steve. And what a Godsend it’s been at that :D
I hate to say it, but now the blue looks like it needs a touch-up. :lol:
Great, you just HAD to notice that, Phil. I am consumed with remorse at my negligence and promise to correct this glaring gaff over the course of my next oil change. It’s what you get for rushing the masking of bits and being over generous in applying the oven cleaner :o

AshishNJ...Loving your work!

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

The picture of cockpit is awesome. What is that hose coming out of the center of stem ?
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

AshishNJ wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:25 pm
...What is that hose coming out of the center of stem ?
It’s the vent tube from my fuel tank. You can see it in this stylin’ pic.

There’s mention of it as ways back in this build thread when I was working on the tank.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

OMG . I have not seen a CBX this beautiful !
Any more pictures somewhere ?
And I thought I was going to build the best out there 😀
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.

Return to “Project Threads”