Footrest Plates & Footrests

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
RC 166
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Footrest Plates & Footrests

Post by RC 166 »

I have a CBX Special build thread here, viewtopic.php?f=102&t=12689 but dont want to clutter it up with a lot of talk only about foot rest plates and controls. So I thought I start this new thread in which you are all encouraged to contribute with information so I can build the most efficient "Sport Kit Plates/Controls". I am interested to know what you have and what you think about it (rider position, comfort, things like that).

What I am after is the most optimal position of the drivers footpegs and levers. Can you please contribute with info about: Which setup you got, what you think of it and please measure the 4 dimensions in the picture below. And lastly, please tell us your hight (Important info when judging rider position evaluations).

20240131_145948cropadj98.jpg

Let's start with my own OEM situation with the Sport Kit plates, which I was happy with (maybe sometimes felt that the pegs could have been a tad further back). Since I can't use the OEM plates here, I may use the opportunity to change the peg position.
A=45mm, B=52mm, C=142mm, D=22* Degrees . I am 183 cm tall.

I have some pretty OK solutions in the build thread, but want to bring it a little further by not using rear set on brackets etc.. I want to have only 1 plate on which I mount foot pegs, lever shafts etc directly. I also want to have 2 sets, one with long plates with pillion pegs at OEM position and another with short plates with only driver pegs. As a design starting point I use the Suzuki foot peg solution that also pivots the levers. However, on the brake side I want to actuate the master cylinder on the back side of the plate which I know is a bit challenging to start with, but I will try.

I will most probably end up with various custom made parts with the exception of CBX foot pegs with bolts, and possibly the gear shift lever & linkage which I will try to borrow from the CBX '79 OEM plate.

Anyway, here are some useable components to start with.

20240125_094138crop101.jpg

20240125_132645crop102.jpg

20240125_132059crop103.jpg

20240125_094151crop105.jpg

20240125_124141crop106.jpg

20240125_124320crop108.jpg

Available master cylinders. CBX '79 (14mm piston) and GSX-R1100 '92 (1/2" piston) cylinders have the banjo bolts facing the wheel, while the ZX-9R (1/2" piston) cylinder have the banjo bolt facing upwards.

20240125_131549crop109.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Own a one-man CNC shop, Building a CBX '79 with ZX-9R suspension and lots of nice custom CNC parts...
/ Peter

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Footrest Plates & Footrests

Post by Rick Pope »

Mounting concerns aside, I'd lean towards the rear master cylinder that matches whatever caliper you're using. There's quite a difference in the effect of the 14m v. the 1/2".
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

RC 166
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RC 166 »

As I use the ZX-9R rear caliper I will use either the ZX-9R or GSX-R1100 1/2" master cylinder, or any other 1/2" cylinder that may fit better.
So, I keep the hydraulic ratio, but what about mechanical ratio? Anyone that has these Raask rearsets? It uses the CBX OEM master cylinder and caliper with a much shorter lever! How does that feel? Wooden?

DSC07148crop.JPG

20220518_123407 crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Own a one-man CNC shop, Building a CBX '79 with ZX-9R suspension and lots of nice custom CNC parts...
/ Peter

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Just to get this straight, your requirements are that you use the pegs, master and shifter mechanisms and the foot plates/rear sets you are going to fabricate?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

My setup is all OEM except the addition of 1" lowering footpegs from Knight Industries because apparently my knees are the opposite of yours. :lol:

So why am I posting? Because I wanna toss another suggestion your way in case it's useful. Brembo makes a rear master that has an integrated reservoir - it's used on a few OEM applications including the Aprilia Tuono. They're inexpensive, readily available, and make a very nice tidy and simple installation. You might want to consider one as part of the work you're doing with foot controls:

Tuono rear master

No plumbing, less potential for leaks, and the whole assembly mounts with just 2 bolts.

My only comment about the hydraulic and mechanical ratios and matching to the caliper is that I don't care about rear brakes. I really only care about the fronts, and I have a very good setup there that easily meets my needs.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

RC 166
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RC 166 »

Jeff,

As you know I build a CBX Special with non OEM wheels, brakes, forks, swing arm blablabla... Sometimes a particular OEM component doesn't fit, or I simply dont want it on the Special. As for the footrest plates, I will not use OEM because the brake side plate dont fit.

As I now have to design a number of parts from scratch, I started this thread to get maximum information from the community before I start. I am after information and opinions of the driver's footpeg's position. So community, can you please contribute with real world feedback of how things actually work? I am sure we will all benefit from the info that may flow in here.

Yes, I like the OEM pegs so I will use some spare ones, but have to mill them a little so they work in Suzuki peg mounts, or if I make my own peg mounts I just as soon make them fit the untouched CBX pegs.

The OEM brake lever can't be used, it's mechanism behind the plate is too bulky and interferes with the Yamaha FZR 1000 swing arm.

I have a ZX-9R rear caliper, but its 1/2" master cylinder is not ideal for the CBX, the GSX-R1100 1/2" master cylinder fits better, and then again I might find another that fits even better.

I hope to be able to use the OEM shifter mechanism on my custom plates. Hopefully I only need to lengthen the linkage rod a bit.

Syscrush,

I see that you have the US spec plates with the CNC 1" stepdown pegs at the very front. Very nice work! What is your opinion on driving position/comfort?

Thanks for the info about the rear master cylinder with integrated reservoir. I will look into it.
/ Peter

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

I think the position of the foot controls are very individual and depends on personal preferences, body shape, long/short legs and so forth.😊

Whit a shorter brake levers/pedal the torque will be less on the pump, but that does not necessarily mean that the brakes will be bad.

Why not fabricate a bracket that allows for replacement to another pump if this setup gives weak braking power.

I use OEM plates, footrests and pedal with Brembo caliper, Kawasaki brake pump (5.5"x 17 rear rim).

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

RC 166 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:19 pm
Syscrush,

I see that you have the US spec plates with the CNC 1" stepdown pegs at the very front. Very nice work! What is your opinion on driving position/comfort?
Well, one person's comfy chair is another's torture rack. My knees are a mess so no matter what the riding position of a bike I'm on, I'll be stretching out both legs every 10 minutes and probably taking some Tylenol if I'm going to be riding more than 4 hours.

With all of that said, I do find the lower body position kind of relaxed, but definitely not cruiser-like. I didn't go forward or backwards, just down a bit via the pegs. The bars are down and forward of the stock US spec clip-ons, maybe even a bit more forward and down than the sport kit setup - and likely a bit wider. To me, it feels similar to a super naked, but I couldn't provide quantitative data on that.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Everpix
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Everpix »

I have these footrests on my bike, are you interested in more info like dimensions?

Footrests.jpeg

RC 166
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RC 166 »

512rt,

Of course it is individual, still Honda got away with just providing 2 options. So a lot of guys must have been "happy" with one or the other, like I am basicly happy with the euro (Sport Kit) version.

Syscrush,

Like you, I also have a one-piece handlebar now, and it is slightly backward from the OEM position, also wider. I can check more specificly.
4 hours, you must be crazy! After 100km the OEM seat is killing my ass!!!

20240115_151549 (2).jpg

Everpix,

Now, that was one of the most trick rearsets I have seen! Yes please, give us the dimensions shown at this threads start.
How is it to ride?
Did you fab it yourself, it sure looks custom made?
/ Peter

Everpix

Post by Everpix »

The former owner built this bike with VFR 750 rear swing arm, VFR800 rear wheel and GSXR 1000 front end.
I made some xtra pictures, and the footrests are from the brand GSG Moto (German).
I can't find it on their site, but may be you can contract them for information.

https://gsg-mototechnik.de/?s=CBX+1000
Last edited by Everpix on Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

RC 166
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RC 166 »

Everpix,

Thanks for the new pictures. Interesting and very compact design. It seems you can move the peg rearwards another ca. 20mm, right?
I have my own CNC shop, so I can make my own rearsets once i make up my mind on a design.

When it's not middle of the night, can you please measure the 4 dimensions asked for at the beginning of the thread and post it here? Also, interesting to know what you think of the riding position with these rearsets and the "streetfighter bars".
/ Peter

Everpix

Post by Everpix »

I made the measurement, but you have to know that the position of the footrest is not fixed, there are many mounting positions.
Even the brake lever angle and length are adjustable, see the pictures.
One picture is from the back of the footrest mounting plate.
For my length of 186 cm with a streetfighter bar (we call it superbike steer here) it's a bit sporty position, but relaxed enough.
At this moment these are the dimensions:

A = 95 mm
B = 25 mm
C = 130 mm
D = 45 degrees (estimated)

Good luck with the engineering!
Eric
20240204_105224.jpg
20240204_105453.jpg

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

RC 166 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:58 pm
4 hours, you must be crazy! After 100km the OEM seat is killing my ass!!!
Since part of the theme of this thread is comfort on the bike, I'll throw in the non-bike things that make a difference for me:
  1. Wear long-distance cycling shorts under the riding gear for some extra comfort & padding.
  2. Dress in accordance with the weather so as not to overheat or get hypothermia.
  3. Good comfy earplugs (mine are custom-molded silicone so I can wear 'em all day without discomfort).
  4. 1 Tylenol every couple of hours.
  5. Do some stretching on the bike every 10-15 minutes before starting to feel stiff or sore. Drop each leg, stand on the pegs for a bit, roll your shoulders, etc. Vary your riding position forward and back, sit upright, lay on the tank. Keep moving.
It's been a long time since I've done real distance, but I do intend to rack up some bigger rides once it's all sorted out.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

RC 166
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RC 166 »

Everpix,

Thanks for the info! It means 50mm back and 27mm up from OEM Sport Kit position. Good to know that you are happy with it.

Syscrush,

Yes, those things are often neglected. Good clothes and stretching can never be wrong. It's a shame that you need medication as well.
/ Peter

Return to “Project Threads”