It’s got “Bones”

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

It’s got “Bones”

Post by NobleHops »

On to the next adventure!

060AC963-D5C9-4615-B857-8C5D1C71E300.jpeg

I bought this bike from a local shop a year or so ago as we were pecking at a couple of projects. It was sitting outside unloved in this fellow’s little boneyard, a place where I went to harvest twin-pot calipers and occasional odds and ends from his bikes. I thought we’d just pick it over for parts here and there, but as we finished up a couple of recent projects and looked at it a little more closely, we decided that it was a candidate after all.

A2F4B673-E648-4B36-8009-3965493F1909.jpeg

V1 of the plan was just to wake it up, service it, put clean carbs on it, raid our spares for the stuff it’s missing and sell it for somebody’s project bike. But the engine is stuck and a peek down into cylinder #1 shows a super-rusty cylinder bore, and that drops its potential value so far that I’d rather just keep it.

And rebuild its engine, and restore it! MUAHAHAHA!

1AB5FE7B-E97F-47EB-A904-28D54D621EB3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: It’s got “Bones”

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

It's always great to hear of a CBX that will restored and back on the road let alone one that was a parts bike in a salvage yard.
Looking forward to the journey, Nils.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I can't wait to see how this turns out, though I have a feeling that I can guess, Nils.

Do you have any interest in doing some kind of a wilder custom one day, or do you want to stick with the OEM+ approach?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Syscrush wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:07 pm
I can't wait to see how this turns out, though I have a feeling that I can guess, Nils.

Do you have any interest in doing some kind of a wilder custom one day, or do you want to stick with the OEM+ approach?
Once upon a time that was totally my ambition, and we did some mild custom stuff at RestoCycle, but nothing wild. I’m less interested in that now. I really admire it, and it involves a lot of skill and vision and creativity that I don’t really possess and that challenge appeals to me, but I have my hands too full at the moment for a big learning adventure. So I’ll stick with the familiar for the time being to get my builder jones satisfied :-).
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Project Threads”