New member from Northern Virginia

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Kingludd
New Member & Happy To Be Here

New member from Northern Virginia

Post by Kingludd »

Picked up a 79 a month ago. It had been in an unheated barn since 1996. I bought after only being able to see parts of it. It was buried under tires, car doors, and lots of other junk. Tires hold air and It rolls. Crank turns with a wrench. It has been messed with, but primarily cosmetically from what I've discovered so far by inspecting buggered or not buggered JIS screw heads. So far I have rebuild front and rear master cylinders and calipers. New brake hoses and crush washers. Once brakes are finished and bled, I can roll it and control it to my basement (down a big hill). From what I can see, everything will need attention. For the last few weeks I have applied Kroil almost daily to every screw head and nut and pivot point I can see. I have given myself 18 months to make it a rider. If I reach my goal, I will consider cosmetic restoration. Will send out carbs, tank, and gauges for pro restoration. I can handle everything else. Once it's in the basement, I will clean every electrical connector and check the wiring. The big thing in the back of my mind is the lower end. Even though I can turn the crank with a wrench, I don't know yet if there are any big or little surprises in there. Crankcase still has a lot of oil and there are no visible oil leaks around the head and lower end. We'll find out soon enough. Enjoyed lurking on this forum for many years. I didn't want to register until I had a bike of my own. Oh, one more thing ... these two spacers fell out when I removed the seat. Do they belong to the CBX? Thanks everyone. I'm glad to be back wrenching on a bike. I spent the last 15 years working on my MB diesels - a 1983 300TD and a 95 E300D. They're both gone now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kingludd

Re: New member from Northern Virginia

Post by Kingludd »

Sorry about the images.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Welcome! I've seen your project bike in other posts. A lot of work there, but if you're determined........ I really wouldn't worry much about the engine internals if it turns over and was sealed up. I'd pull the valve cover, check that all the valves are seating when rolled over by hand, check clearances, adjust cam chains. Install new valve cover hold-down bolt grommets, re-use the valve cover gasket most likely. Install a new o-ring on the front cam chain adjuster after making sure it's not stripped out in the head.

Drop the sump cover and see what's there - that will tell you a lot. Service the alternator. Other than that, until you get it running, I wouldn't worry about the engine. I've resurrected lots of these that have been sitting for years and the engines have been fine. It's all the other stuff you have to worry about. Electrical, tank, carbs, brakes, forks, steering bearings and on and on.

Reviewing you other posts, I assume this is the bike with the rotted out frame? That bears careful checking. If water has gotten inside the frame, it could be very thin a lot of places. I'd personally find a good titled replacement frame. There are lots of them out there for not much money.

But do not turn a wrench until you get a FSM.

About your pics, just click on them in the post and they appear oriented correctly.

Dave

Kingludd

Post by Kingludd »

Dave,
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, there is a rust hole in the frame. I've checked the tube with a borescope and the rust is limited to this area. I have inspected the frame carefully and the rust is limited to this spot. Slug welding isn't an option. It will have to be scabbed if I decide to repair it. I haven't decided whether to repair or replace the frame. I have seen frames for sale from $600-$1200, but mostly around $1k. This seems like a lot.

I have the shop manual and very thankfully, this forum.

The guy standing behind the bike helped me dig it out. We worked for a long time to free it.

Any ideas about the spacers in pic #3? I tend to think they're not from a cbx.

Kingludd

Post by Kingludd »

The spacers go between the fender and the fender frame. Saw the dirt shadow where they were on the bike.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

They are probably related to the installation of that sissy bar - those are not stock items.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

aahrens1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by aahrens1 »

Has somebody shot on the bike? :lol:
Regards
Andreas

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Be patient searching for a frame there is always a good deal out there when you're not desperate.

I passed on buying a complete 79' four years ago for $1k but I had no space in the garage for another bike. The engine was frozen and it was being broken down for parts so I just paid $150 for the parts I wanted.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Kingludd

Post by Kingludd »

The drill holes, the sissy bar and the fairing are dreadful. The front engine brackets are aftermarket chromed and drilled. They're awful. I have oem replacements. There was also a cigarette lighter wired to the starter relay, a Washington Redskins sticker on the tank and don't forget the eagle gargoyles on the oil cooler brackets. Previous owner also wired in a desk lamp pushbutton switch on the high/low wire. I think he didn't like that the headlight was on all the time. There are fundamental things that need to be done first, but I'm addressing these cosmetic things too. This bike has a long way to go, but I'm going to be riding it next summer.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

King, I will absolutely help you if this is your path, and this bike is special to you in some way, but I have to clear my conscience first:

This is a parts bike, and it’s valuable as such, but IMO it is not a candidate for restoration, to whatever degree you have in your mind’s eye. There are much better candidates out there, if you’re patient.

N.
Nils Menten

Kingludd

Post by Kingludd »

Nils,
Thanks for the offer of help. I will need it. Since I was in 8th grade, I have always only wanted two motorcycles - KZ1000 and CBX. I had the KZ and it was perfect. It was fast, loud, and raw. Once it was exactly where I wanted it, and there was nothing to do to it except ride it, I sold it. Now on to the CBX. Yeah, it's really rough, but I mostly want a rider. I can buy one of those $20k angels, but to me, there's no fun in it. That's a purchase. I want a relationship. I'm the guy who goes for the rescue dog. lol. Once I'm riding it, I will think about the stuck screws, chiseled-out bolts, the dust, that white crumbly stuff in the brake fluid reservoir, the drilled-out parts, the chrome gargoyle eagles and the cigarette lighter and have a true sense of appreciation and accomplishment. To me it's the journey not the destination.

I considered your comment on the other forum about this one being a parts bike and not a good candidate for restoration. I don't disagree. Based on what you said, I seriously considered parting it out, but the kind of work that requires doesn't interest me. This bike isn't really special to me but it came to me in this condition at the right time. I've been patient long enough and this is only the second CBX I've seen in Virginia in more than 30 years. When I was working on my KZ (1988), there was no internet or youtube. My shop manual and a couple of guys I knew were all I had. (there was a guy in Maryland who would sell me the odd part for my Mikuni 29mm SS now and then, but I had to drive there). Now there is the internet, and forums connecting us.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

OK dude, I’m in. Let’s do this.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

More: before you go hunting up replacement parts, just make a first pass of your list and post it here. For example, your footrest plates. I have several sets I’ll never use. etc…
Nils Menten

Kingludd

Post by Kingludd »

"... before you go hunting up replacement parts, just make a first pass of your list and post it here ..."

Yes! I will check here first. Thank you.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

King, do you want me to move this over to “Project Threads”, or do you want to start a new thread there? Either is fine - I have admin privileges (thanks Larry).

N.
Nils Menten

Return to “Project Threads”