CBX 82 project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX 82 project

Post by NobleHops »

Theggi wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:23 pm
Allright 😊 never been that far north yet, but some day i have to.
I just returned from a tour to Nordkapp in June, starting in Hamburg. We spent about 3 weeks in the Scandinavian countries. It is *beautiful* up there, we had an incredible trip. I loved it.

You guys should really make a point of connecting with Steinar Gunderson, who lives near Tonsberg, south of Oslo.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

NobleHops wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:51 pm

I just returned from a tour to Nordkapp in June, starting in Hamburg. We spent about 3 weeks in the Scandinavian countries. It is *beautiful* up there, we had an incredible trip. I loved it.

You guys should really make a point of connecting with Steinar Gunderson, who lives near Tonsberg, south of Oslo.
Did you do the trip to North cap on a CBX ?

I have been in contact with Steinar several times this summer, latest he send me refurbished alternator clutch plates 😊

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

512tr wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:11 pm

I have been in contact with Steinar several times this summer, latest he send me refurbished alternator clutch plates 😊

No, I was on a borrowed BMW - a hybrid R/GS 1100 I refer to as "The Moose".

IMG_9666.jpg

Steinar extended some typically amazing European hospitality to 6 people he'd never met in person before. We consider each other friends from this shared hobby, but had never met. That's Steinar in the black sweatshirt with the red Honda wing.

IMG_0263.jpeg

This is his shop, I am the big doofy guy at the back in the blue jacket with the rosy cheeks :-).

20220621_183417.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Small selection of trip photos:

https://noblehops.smugmug.com/Nordkapp-2022
Nils Menten

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Cool! β€œYou meet the nicest people on a Honda” Looks like a fine trip Nils!

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:22 am
Small selection of trip photos:

https://noblehops.smugmug.com/Nordkapp-2022
Nice pictures, looks like you did have a nice trip.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Wow Nils. Looks like you had a great time :)
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Thanks guys - it really was a bucket-list kind of trip, and a great group of guys. I feel very lucky to have shared the experience with them all.

Sorry for hijacking your thread!
Nils Menten

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:20 am
More parts today 😍
I'm old school, but also fascinated by the motogadget products. I have installed the M-unit, and it’s amazing how it works, I did not connect the main front lights via the m-unit (hate that the main lights come on when the ignition is on).
I have done a completely new wiring system, and it's amazing how many wires there is, especially if you add some extra gadgets/features compare to the original setup.
As an old school I'm also sceptic to all those hi-tech electronics so I’m doing a simple "limp home mode" system in case some electronic malfunction, with only el. power to the ignition and coils (starts the engine by shortcutting the starter solenoid)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:21 am
As an old school I'm also sceptic to all those hi-tech electronics so I’m doing a simple "limp home mode" system in case some electronic malfunction, with only el. power to the ignition and coils (starts the engine by shortcutting the starter solenoid)
I have a keyless/RFID activation in series with my kill switch - nothing as fancy as the Motogadget stuff, just some cheapie ebay RFID reader wired up in a semi-clever way. Out of a similar fear, I have a simple mechanical switch wired in parallel with it, hidden under my seat.

FYI, here's how the RFID works in operation:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:49 am
I have a keyless/RFID activation in series with my kill switch - nothing as fancy as the Motogadget stuff, just some cheapie ebay RFID reader wired up in a semi-clever way. Out of a similar fear, I have a simple mechanical switch wired in parallel with it, hidden under my seat.

FYI, here's how the RFID works in operation:
I still use a key alongside my motogadget setup. As my confidence grows I may go fully keyless and sew one of those fancy vials into my glove.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:16 am
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:11 pm

No, I was on a borrowed BMW - a hybrid R/GS 1100 I refer to as "The Moose".

IMG_9666.jpg

Steinar extended some typically amazing European hospitality to 6 people he'd never met in person before. We consider each other friends from this shared hobby, but had never met. That's Steinar in the black sweatshirt with the red Honda wing.

IMG_0263.jpeg

This is his shop, I am the big doofy guy at the back in the blue jacket with the rosy cheeks :-).

20220621_183417.jpg
Wow what a guy. Seems like you had a great trip through norway up to Nordkapp. That is on my list also. Steinar seems like a nice guy. I have bought parts from him just a couple of days ago but never met him yet. When my bike is done and im going over to where he lives ill have to try to have a stop at his shop.
You are not hijacking, it is just a pleasure to see your trip 😊

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:20 am
More parts today 😍
I'm old school, but also fascinated by the motogadget products. I have installed the M-unit, and it’s amazing how it works, I did not connect the main front lights via the m-unit (hate that the main lights come on when the ignition is on).
I have done a completely new wiring system, and it's amazing how many wires there is, especially if you add some extra gadgets/features compare to the original setup.
That is one of the good things with the m-unit, much less wiring. For the lights i ordered the m button also.

"using the mo.unit blue, basic or mo.unit v.2 in combination with the tiny mo.button, you will once again reduce the amount of cables that have to be routed! All switches/buttons on the handlebar are connected at the shortest distance possible and concealed inside the handlebar. Consequently, you will have to route only ONE thin cable from the mo.button to the mo.unit. All loads and currents will be switched directly at the mo.unit (see explanations above). A layout reduced to the max!"

Will make a new clean box under the seat and try to make it as clean and tidy it can get with the wiring.
But as long as you wire your headlight trough a switch it wont go on before you want it? 😊

aahrens1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by aahrens1 »

The CBX is the third bike that I equipped with moto gadget m-unit and instruments.
The m-unit is behind the rear tank mount.
20220916_212609.jpg
20220825_190010.jpg
oops :shock:
Even with m-button there are still remaining many cables
20220904_001617.jpg
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Andreas

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

What information do these motogadget instruments provide, besides speed and rpm?

Return to β€œProject Threads”