CBX 82 project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CBX 82 project

Post by Theggi »

Hi all.
My first post here. My name is Tommy, live in Norway and finally got my cbx i have been dreaming of in some years now.
I will try to make this more modern, do the common things. New suspensjon, engine upgrade and take it as it comes.
I will start after summer. Here is some pictures before i start. I have medium skills, so if you have any good advises along the road i would appretiate it much.
Its a 1982 prolink.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX 82 project

Post by NobleHops »

Greetings!

If you’re in the Oslo area, I advise you to connect with CBX Norway in Tonsberg. Steinar Gunderson is a gentleman, and can certainly guide you, at least.

I’d be happy to help you too, just create a thread in the “Project Threads” area and update it with your progress and questions, and help will come from far and wide, including from me.

Welcome!

Nils Menten

:text-welcomewave: :text-welcomewave: :text-welcomewave:
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Welcome!

Upgrading suspension is a topic dear to my heart. Most people go straight to the idea of swapping to modern USD forks and 17" wheels, but there are many other options at different prices, too - some preserve the OEM looks if that's important to you, and some that bring much more bling.

Good luck with your project - there's a wealth of information here and a very strong community.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

NobleHops wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:13 am
Greetings!

If you’re in the Oslo area, I advise you to connect with CBX Norway in Tonsberg. Steinar Gunderson is a gentleman, and can certainly guide you, at least.

I’d be happy to help you too, just create a thread in the “Project Threads” area and update it with your progress and questions, and help will come from far and wide, including from me.

Welcome!

Nils Menten

:text-welcomewave: :text-welcomewave: :text-welcomewave:
Thank you, good to know 😊

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

Syscrush wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:47 am
Welcome!

Upgrading suspension is a topic dear to my heart. Most people go straight to the idea of swapping to modern USD forks and 17" wheels, but there are many other options at different prices, too - some preserve the OEM looks if that's important to you, and some that bring much more bling.

Good luck with your project - there's a wealth of information here and a very strong community.
Thanks. I will do a front end swap of some kind. I love the look of golden forks so I guess it will be that.
Not sure about the rear yet. I read the prolink is good, but I want 180 tire. So I have to get more info about the swap there.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Sounds like you wanna also swap to 17" wheels. Note that this will generally mean giving up some ground clearance, which means limiting the maximum cornering ability. But there are some beautiful custom bikes with those kinds of mods on here, and at least one gets a ton of miles. You might wanna check out these two:

AshishNJ '81 streetfighter

bikeymikey748 crusty lump of coal to polished diamond
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

J.R.’s naked Prolinks with the single sided swingarms are also excellent benchmarks of the potential for a custom 82. If you’re going full custom, you might get some meaningful cash out of selling your current bodywork as a set, and starting with tank, sidecovers, fender from an 81. I bet Bert at 6center.nl would entertain an exchange of some kind.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Hola, Theggi!
Oh man did you come to the right place. Plenty of knowledgeable and enthusiastic folks here waiting to help any way that they can.
Speaking of which, Phil failed to mention his epic suspension thread. A must-read when weighing the merits of any suspension options for CBX restomods.

http://www.cbxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=8510

Looking forward to see where this thread takes you/us. 😎

Oh and…thanks for the bump, Phil 😉

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

Syscrush wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:12 am
Sounds like you wanna also swap to 17" wheels. Note that this will generally mean giving up some ground clearance, which means limiting the maximum cornering ability. But there are some beautiful custom bikes with those kinds of mods on here, and at least one gets a ton of miles. You might wanna check out these two:

AshishNJ '81 streetfighter

bikeymikey748 crusty lump of coal to polished diamond
Yep, those bikes are really nice! i like the golden front forks and the round headlight, thats where i want to go. Keep it simple.

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

NobleHops wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:24 am
J.R.’s naked Prolinks with the single sided swingarms are also excellent benchmarks of the potential for a custom 82. If you’re going full custom, you might get some meaningful cash out of selling your current bodywork as a set, and starting with tank, sidecovers, fender from an 81. I bet Bert at 6center.nl would entertain an exchange of some kind.
Thanks for that. I will contact him :)

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

bikeymikey748 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:31 am
Hola, Theggi!
Oh man did you come to the right place. Plenty of knowledgeable and enthusiastic folks here waiting to help any way that they can.
Speaking of which, Phil failed to mention his epic suspension thread. A must-read when weighing the merits of any suspension options for CBX restomods.

http://www.cbxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=8510

Looking forward to see where this thread takes you/us. 😎

Oh and…thanks for the bump, Phil 😉
Hello Mikey :D
Yes, i guess the suspension is the most talked about case for this bike. The front seems to be an easy swap, but the rear is a more brainstormer for me.
Atleast its going to be a monoshock, i just have to find the right swingarm that fit without too much modifications on the frame.

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

I did take the bike out for the first ride yesterday.
I bought this bike from an older guy that said the bike was just sitting in the garage because he didnt ride it any longer. He also had the bike to a mechanic before he shipped it to me for a checkup and go over the carburators.
Problem was that it wanted to shut down when stopping and could not hold idle. I needed to help with the throttle. It worked fine before the engine got hot i think. It doesnt really matters because im going to strip this apart, but i was hoping to ride it through the summer first.

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

Game on. Had some days working on the bike. Going to remove the front end later today and then its almost only the engine left.

A 2007 hayabusa front have arrived. The bike will get a little bit lower as you probably know. I Just have to see how it get. Conversion stem from cognito on its way.
Gsxr 750 2000 swingarm coming too. Just for wider rear tire. Found another build where he said it was almost bolt on.
And I will go all new Electric with motogadget blue keyless. Looking forward to that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

VERY exciting.

BTW - some have had success using the OEM triple clamps from the donor bike and only using a stem to do the front end swap, but I really encourage you to take some measurements and use a suspension calculator to see what those modern clamps will do to your bike's trail. With all of the effort and expense that's going into a build like this, it would be a shame to end up making the steering unresponsive. Cognito offers custom triples for very good prices if you provide the necessary measurements.

I added about 10mm of offset on my custom triples which took out a bit of trail vs stock, and I'm very happy with how my bike turns in and transitions.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Theggi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Theggi »

Syscrush wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 pm
VERY exciting.

BTW - some have had success using the OEM triple clamps from the donor bike and only using a stem to do the front end swap, but I really encourage you to take some measurements and use a suspension calculator to see what those modern clamps will do to your bike's trail. With all of the effort and expense that's going into a build like this, it would be a shame to end up making the steering unresponsive. Cognito offers custom triples for very good prices if you provide the necessary measurements.

I added about 10mm of offset on my custom triples which took out a bit of trail vs stock, and I'm very happy with how my bike turns in and transitions.
aaah, i didnt even thought of that. Good tip. I already ordered a new upper triple from top yoke. But i will try to find a calculator like you are speaking about and look into it. Thanks :)

Return to “Project Threads”