1982 CBX Project,

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

1982 CBX Project,

Post by Marten »

Hello from Sweden.

My intent is to update this tread as i am progressing in my project.

I bought the bike in september, it has been sitting for 22 years. The tank has holes in it, silencers are toast, brakes is stuck and bad comp on 2 cylinders (said PO). Whats not to like :D

This is my first project som i am in deep here=)

Now that i have had the bike for some time there is both good and bad news, more on that later.

I have found this site as a great source for info and knowledge.

I have found lots of answers on my questions here and i have also looked on a vast amount of cbx videos on yuotube=) Digital pizza and Zams channel has helped me alot.
IMG_4473[1].PNG
Her it is complete with fairing and bags. I dosn´t look so supersport to me =)

I started with removing the head, cams and journal are plastigaged and are in spec. Sorry to say someone used a screwdriver or similar to remove nr 5 camholder. But Louis at usedcbxparts sent me a new one. I have still to plastigage it.
IMG_4472[1].JPG
EX Cam lobes are within spec, but IN lobes are 0,2 mm under spec, but all intakes lobes are within a few 100/mm from eachother. The lobes looks in good shape, i suspect someone have changed them for 1980 IN cams that have 0,2 mm less lift. Toughts from the panel on that is much appreciated?
IMG_4452[1].JPG
Head leaked on all ex valves but the inlets were better, its now at the machineshop. All valves and seats are worked on, head was warped 0,3 mm and a few helicoil inserts were added. Picture is before the headwork.
IMG_4648[2].JPG
Clutch plates and steeldisks looked good, but the bearing from clutch center plate were really bad. The "part" that sits inside the bearing has even hit the inside of the clutch shaft.
IMG_4631[1].JPG
I read i tread here that the clutch will make noice when the spring behind the clutchbasket are loose. On my basket one of the long springs has about 0,5 mm play. If a shake the basket i can here the spring rattle.

Offcourse this hase been taken care of on this site by a fierce Fin=) Its even a pdf with a step by step instructions how to fix it. How awesome is that!! Should i do this mod on my basket?
IMG_4686[1].JPG
Moore info will come, thanks for your time and sorry for my bad english.

Marten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda CBX1000 1982, project.
Honda XL250 75, project.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: 1982 CBX Project,

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

You’re doing great, keep us posted!

Did you buy the replacement viton valve seals, how pliable are those carb manifolds?

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

Thanks Jeff!

PO sent with the bike a full gasket kit incl valve seals, no name on the seals but they are for sure not viton seals.

Thats the way to go i presume:) If i dont want to open up the head again?

Can i even use the headgasket on a noname gasket kit? I can, but is it stupid?

New manifold is on my list, machineshop man called them bakelith manifolds :lol:
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Are you sure the throw-out bearing is bad? If the star plate is not indexed to the two shouldered bolts, it can be installed slightly off-center with the result you see - the bearing insert contacting the inside of the trans shaft.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

daves79x wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:37 am
Are you sure the throw-out bearing is bad? If the star plate is not indexed to the two shouldered bolts, it can be installed slightly off-center with the result you see - the bearing insert contacting the inside of the trans shaft.

Dave
If that’s the case as Dave mentioned, check the pressure plate bosses and make sure none are cracked!

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

daves79x wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:37 am

Dave
I think so Dave, it had som good play in it, i will check the parts you and Jeff mentioned.

The shouldered bolts were atleast in the right place.
thumbnail_IMG_4642.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

Follow up on the enginework.

I now have the engine completely apart. Another question is if i will get it togheter again :shock: Thank god for the repair manual, it really is a must.

One bearing the one i have marked with red had some good play in it. Its the bearing on the mainshaft, its called B/BRG RAD N/COM at csmnl. Sorry to say it seems to be on short supply. Sixcenter och used cbxparts i guess maybe have one home. Any other advice who can have one?
thumbnail_IMG_4744.jpg
My rods looked fine and so did the rod bearings, the looked like new.
IMG_4751.JPG
Crank with journal i do feel is in good shape, tough i have not plastigagedt .
IMG_4753.JPG
Here you can se the markings on the cases and on the crank. Makes me buy just one size of bearing and easy with the help of the manual to select right bearings.
thumbnail_IMG_4691.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4733.jpg

My bike has 4600km , do i need to change both of the camchains?

Thanks Marten
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Why are you replacing the bearings? Is that 4600km or 46,000km? No matter, the bearings are fine if they plastigauge OK.

Dave

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

Sorry Dave its 46000km. Ok i will check them with the plastigage and make up my mind after that.

Thanks for the info👍
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

Waiting for plastigage and paint stripper for the engine i polished the alternator cover and 2 of the small sidecovers for the cams/valvecover.
F9AD4664-9768-4B1D-A262-18B0B4917A40.jpeg

E3F7704C-591B-428C-B4C6-01AD047F7C99.jpeg
Before and after pictures (if someone wondered :D )
3E1D7366-CC4E-465F-AD64-5D2CA3B98F34.jpeg
Also got the cluster frame welded. I guess a PO hacksawed it to get the speedo out. I tried to get the speedo knob out by turning it counterclockwise as i have read here but no luck.

When i read some more i learned that a 82 has a small phillips in the knob. And sure its there👍 This forum was not up when PO cut the frame it, internet was not there either when i think of it😁

Some paint and maybe som putty and it should be good to go.
0DF6552C-091E-4B29-AED4-AC857B7BC938.jpeg
0172134D-4562-4BCB-8FFC-EDC73F9A9759.jpeg
Lastly i got new gasket for the idiotlights, made them in a 3d printer with rubberfilament. Nothing for more ”serious” gasket but it should do the trick if i stay away with the powerwasher😁
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Great work on the alternator cover looks a million miles better then it was.

What 'putty' did you use to repair cluster frame? It always baffles me what owners will do to 'repair' an item.

I love the 3D printed solution, 3D printers are an indispensable tool now for any form of restoration. Can I ask what filament you used?

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

heli_madken wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:09 pm
Great work on the alternator cover looks a million miles better then it was.

What 'putty' did you use to repair cluster frame? It always baffles me what owners will do to 'repair' an item.

I love the 3D printed solution, 3D printers are an indispensable tool now for any form of restoration. Can I ask what filament you used?
Thanks, i am quite happy with the way it turned out.

Cluster frame is just tig welded for now, i plan to use som putty to get the repair smooth and even with the rest of the frame.

Yeah, 3d printers are great, the hardest part is to write it up in the 3d writing program. I use Ultimaker TPU95 filament for the gaskets.
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

About the PO - the factory shop manual was available so there is no excuse for the hack job.

Dave

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

True that Dave.

I searched this site and the with the google machine but no real good answers.

How the ..ll do you get the black engine paint of the engine?? Is it powdercote, doesnt matter what it is. Its tough as nails, in sweden i cant get a can of ”aircraft stripper” probably because of the ingredients.

I tried crc stripper, rust oleum and the drill with a wirebrush. The wirebrush is buy far the best tool but there are so many nooks and crannies so i cant remove all the paint.

The engine cases are 95% paintfree now, it would be easy to just scothbrite it and paint it. But i dont want the old paint to ruin my paintjob. Is there a chance that i will?

I will go for VHT enamel satin black, with or whitout VHT primer for the engine.

Please chip in if you have any tips.

Thanks Marten
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Rotary tools are blunt instruments on soft aluminum, be very careful.

Look in the “Restorations” section for two excellent posts, “soda blasting and painting an engine”. Those detail the process of using basking soda blasting to strip a painted engine of old paint and grime and prepping it for paint.

I’ve used that or a very close facsimile to paint a dozen or more engines by now, it works perfectly.

N.

P.S. No, if old paint is really well-stuck and smooth, there’s no harm in painting over it, as long as it is spotlessly cleaned and degreased.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “Project Threads”