1982 CBX Project,

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1982 CBX Project,

Post by NobleHops »

Marten, you are doing a really beautiful, thorough job here, no stone left unturned. This bike will be a real joy to ride.

I sold and liked the Ikon rear shock a lot, and the prototype of that is in my own Prolink. Wilbers also sells one and one of the Prolinks we serviced had one on it - also a very nice upgrade. If you crimp a ring onto that wire that goes to your shock, the air pressure warning light will work as stock on the dash, which I find entertaining on my bike :-).
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

Thank you Nilsđź‘Ť

I have read about the shocks you mentioned and have not come to a decision yet. I could get the YSS progressive for around 300euro. What i have read avout that shock here its seems alright. Anyone who got som thing to chime innon the YSS?

Not much progress here, but i got some small things done. One is that i got a friend to cut me some lens decals. Not as good as cb faces lenses but for a fraction of the cost.

Here is the result:
05ECD84B-92FC-4B30-9312-17C14A54817A.png
They look kind of dull now but its residue from the tape i used when fixing them. The vinyl has 2 weeks hardening time, after that i can gloss them up.

Kind of tricky to get them centered and straight. I didnt come trough all the way on all of them but i am quite happy.

Last winter i ordered keyster carb kits after i have watched Peter Rose rebuild videos. I changed all the oring to Viton after i read (to late) on this site that its the way to go.

Sense then i have changed needle valve to original kehin and cleaned and reused all the original brass incl needle valve seats.

I do miss one original carb needle (after the rebuild), is there someone who has one original needle on the shelf? If so i am willing to buy it.

Or are atleast the needles ok to use from the keyster kits?

/Marten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Marten on Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda CBX1000 1982, project.
Honda XL250 75, project.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Welcome back, Marten! Good to see you working on your project again.
Nils Menten

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

NobleHops wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:08 am
Welcome back, Marten! Good to see you working on your project again.
Thanks Nils.
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Marten wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:30 pm
I have read about the shocks you mentioned and have not come to a decision yet. I could get the YSS progressive for around 300euro. What i have read avout that shock here its seems alright. Anyone who got som thing to chime innon the YSS?
Sorry that this is so late, but I have a set of 4-way adjustable YSS shocks on my 1979 twin-shock bike. They're adjustable for ride height, preload, compression, and rebound - and I have an optional bit that makes the rebound a 20-click adjuster.

I went with these shocks because I wanted to have that adjustability, because I was making some geometry changes and massive damping changes to the front end, and replacing the swingarm. I also liked the black and chrome color.

I bought them through a friend who runs a suspension shop I trust 100%. He warned me up front that he didn't expect them to be valved properly out of the box - and he suggested that if I just bought Ohlins and put them on the bike, they'd work a lot better despite having less adjustment, because the factory valving was dialed in so much better. I decided to roll the dice on the YSS for the reasons noted above.

And as shipped, the damping/valving was garbage. He put them on a shock dyno and sent me the trace, it was really terrible. So he revalved them for me and set up the damping beautifully. The dyno traces for the revalved shocks are like night and day compared to stock. He said that the build quality of the shocks is very good - comparable to Ohlins - it was just the valve stack that sucked.

I am extremely happy with how they work on the bike, but it would have been much easier and a bit cheaper to just get Ohlins shocks. But I do have that extra adjustability that I would not have with the Ohlins-specified shock for the CBX, so for me it was worth it.

I hope that's helpful.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

Syscrush wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:43 pm
Marten wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:30 pm
Sorry that this is so late, but I have a set of 4-way adjustable YSS shocks on my 1979 twin-shock bike. They're adjustable for ride height, preload, compression, and rebound - and I have an optional bit that makes the rebound a 20-click adjuster.

I went with these shocks because I wanted to have that adjustability, because I was making some geometry changes and massive damping changes to the front end, and replacing the swingarm. I also liked the black and chrome color.

I bought them through a friend who runs a suspension shop I trust 100%. He warned me up front that he didn't expect them to be valved properly out of the box - and he suggested that if I just bought Ohlins and put them on the bike, they'd work a lot better despite having less adjustment, because the factory valving was dialed in so much better. I decided to roll the dice on the YSS for the reasons noted above.

And as shipped, the damping/valving was garbage. He put them on a shock dyno and sent me the trace, it was really terrible. So he revalved them for me and set up the damping beautifully. The dyno traces for the revalved shocks are like night and day compared to stock. He said that the build quality of the shocks is very good - comparable to Ohlins - it was just the valve stack that sucked.

I am extremely happy with how they work on the bike, but it would have been much easier and a bit cheaper to just get Ohlins shocks. But I do have that extra adjustability that I would not have with the Ohlins-specified shock for the CBX, so for me it was worth it.

I hope that's helpful.
Thanks for the input and yes its helpful. Budget is kind of tight for the moment so i havent pulled the trigger on a shock yet.

I also have a buddy who does revalve and service on shocks so he can rebuild them for me.

But on the other hand it may be better to go with a better shock from the start, i will do some more searching for a prices.

Marten
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

If budget is a concern and Ohlins is too expensive, then IMO consider Ikon instead of YSS.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

Long time no post in this project. But the cbx is back, kind of.

Well, i got an YSS shock at last.

Got the carbs in and started it but it only ran on 3 cylinders. Found an error in the contact from the pulse generator. Fixed that up and now it ran on 4..

Read a lot of treads here and the conclusion was that its the carbs (my fault.

Took them out for a cleaning, cleaned them as per Mike Nixons book and new try today. Still runs good on 4 cylinders.

No 2 and number 4 exhaust pipe become hot but not near as hot as the other ones. Starts up supereasy but is very slow to rev up. Sounds flat and sluggish. No 2 and 4 sparkplug is very clean and and looks like new compared to the other ones. Sparks on all plugs and fuel in all bowls.

I am now in the "remove the carbs 3 times before its running isch club"

New take tomorrow.
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

Airborne.fp
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Airborne.fp »

You’re doing a fantastic job, Marten! I’m based in the USA but I went to school in Dalarna (small world). I’ve been rebuilding a white 1982 since April this year, although must say, I haven’t polished and cleaned my engine as well as you did yours. Now I’m thinking that I’ll probably do that too cause it look like it’s worth the effort! I’m at the point of trying to adjust the engine to run right. Have you started yours or not yet? Do you have a place where you’re getting parts from?

Keep up the great work and keep sending pics!:)
Filip

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

Airborne.fp wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:04 pm
You’re doing a fantastic job, Marten! I’m based in the USA but I went to school in Dalarna (small world). I’ve been rebuilding a white 1982 since April this year, although must say, I haven’t polished and cleaned my engine as well as you did yours. Now I’m thinking that I’ll probably do that too cause it look like it’s worth the effort! I’m at the point of trying to adjust the engine to run right. Have you started yours or not yet? Do you have a place where you’re getting parts from?

Keep up the great work and keep sending pics!:)
Filip
Thank you Filip! Indeed the world is small.
Polishing is a good job to do in the long winter here, thats the reason for the good looking engine :lol:
cmsnl is a good source in europe. Also used getor.de and Louis Mentrone. Good luck with your resto, maybe you have a project tread here?

I am now pretty fast at taking the carbs of.

Got som great advice on how to clean the carbs the right way from Jeff and Dave and also from searching this site. Cleaned all bleed holes and the brass got another cleaning. When i was happy i got them back in and started to fit all connectors, hoses and such.

When i put the sparkplug wires on someone in the back of my head reminded me that its cyl 1-6, 3-4 and 5-2 thats paired. But my wires are not right!!

When i put new wires in i looked in the FSM on a pic were the cables are routed and wich cyl they go to. I had paired them 6-1, 2-3 and 4-5 like i read it on the pic.

IMG_0457.jpeg
Is there a error in the manual or am i just a bad reader.

Now happy that it should fire right up i connected a small fuel tank and started her up... Very slow tough, now she sounded worse the before.
Pretty fast i saw that i had dislodged one cable to one of the ignition coils.

New try, but she still didnt go on all cylinders. 4,5 and 6 were semicold.

Took a break and a thinking. That got me to se if there were fuel in the bowls. 6 and 5 had fuel but not nr 4.
Turned out that my little fuel tank dont have a bleed hole in it so there is a vacuum. I pressed the little plastic tank till it dropped fuel out of the bowl hose from number 4.

And now she rips!!! Sounds all so sweet and picks up rpm fast. She sounds and feels very good.
Almost 2 years after i bought here i got to hear and feel the sound of this iconic bike. Feels good is and understatement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Congrats, Marten.
Funny how often it's the small things can conspire against success in these projects..

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Oh, that’s a great update, Marten! Congratulations to you, and may you enjoy these last few stages of perfecting what’s left. Great milestone.
Nils Menten

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Congratulations Marten, I love it when a plan comes together!

Marten
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Marten »

I got my hands on some CBX parts a couple weeks ago. (As some of might have noticed in the 4 sale section)

One of them are an exhaust system that i with tips from Nils started to refurbish. The exhaust i got now is a 6-2 with the pipe that connects under the Engine. And some ugly looking silencers.

My first plan was to take the silencers from the ”New” system but i think its to nice to cut to pieces.

The ”new” system is a 6-2 without the pipe under the engine.
Whats the pros and cons to go with the system with ”connecting pipe vs without? If you take away looks.

Here is the new system before refurbish:
71683688624__6B4FE02E-671D-4BE9-88BE-D755573FEDAA.jpeg
71683689716__9945A18D-C9DE-414E-B621-93E348383B32.jpeg
IMG_0665.jpeg
And here after, (i am not done with it yet)
IMG_0668.jpeg
IMG_0670.jpeg
IMG_0673.jpeg
IMG_0676.jpeg
IMG_0674.jpeg
The marking says its a 1979 right?

The other side is marked HM422, that world be a 1980 or?

As i said earlier, i used Nils tip. First clean it up.

10% phosporic acid in a spraybottle and then steelwool grade 0000 and very light pressure. Keep it wet and prepare for a long session in the garage:) I was surprised how much rust that you could erase.

I got it pretty good but i got some scratches that i dont think i will get rid of.

/MĂĄrten
Last edited by Marten on Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honda AF CR500 2002,
Honda XL250 75, project.

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JoeInTUS »

422 = 1979
469 = 1980
Joe S
Tucson, AZ