Another ‘80 - The Bitsa Bike

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Another ‘80 - The Bitsa Bike

Post by bobcat »

Nils, :shock: your attention to detail is awesome ! I'll have a LOT of work
to do to even have my project come out half as nice. :(
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Another most excellent restoration Nils! I hope that your and Joe's attention to detail, excellently explained in your many posts, gives guys an idea of the work and dedication it takes to do one of these right. You've been an inspiration to many.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Thank you guys, very much, especially you, sensei McMunn, for a thousand points of coaching over the years. And Dave, you nailed my intentions perfectly: I have always wished to assist or encourage folks that might be apprehensive about doing their own project to dive in and give it a go, same as you have for so long. I'd like nothing more than to think I helped someone along on their own restoration journey, bloody knuckles and all :-).
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Nice save Nils, thanks for taking the time to explain some of your restoration processes. Products and services are constantly evolving and it’s always interesting to see people solving problems in new ways.

Z3n
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Z3n »

God this thing looks fantastic. Hope that the one I'm working on can even approach this level of fit and finish by the time I'm done with it.

One thing that might be interesting to you - a lot of the modern wiring harnesses use a tape created by tesa:
https://www.tesa.com/en-us/industry/tes ... 51036.html

I build my wiring harnesses with it, and I'd definitely consider it for any motorcycle application. Given that my usual builds are offroad / adventure bikes, it's what is needed for the high vibration / dusty / harsh conditions of offroad usage - I'm pretty sure if you used it on the CBX it'd be lifetime :)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

That tape looks sweet! I am messing with my own adventure bike now, including some abraded wiring. KTM needs this stuff.
IMG_0511.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Z3n
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Z3n »

Yeah, ktm wiring harnesses. Ready to race means “your race mechanic is tearing it down and replacing the harness every season”, right?

Love the orange koolaid but it does have its downsides!

RC 166
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RC 166 »

This is truly one of the most informative and thorough restorations I have seen. Nice choice of alternativa Honda parts, always upgrading what you repair with something better/more durable and doing it with "do it once, do it right" methods. The icing on the cake is that it came out so beautiful. Thanks for all you have learnt us, and I am already looking forward to your next project..... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Own a one-man CNC shop, Building a CBX '79 with ZX-9R suspension and lots of nice custom CNC parts...
/ Peter

Return to “Project Threads”