Engine re-build question

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Engine re-build question

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Congrats, Pablo.
Your bike looks great.
Getting it sorted out so quickly is fantastic.

pablotrini67
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pablotrini67 »

Just thought I would post all the products & suppliers I used & am sure there are other very good suppliers & products out there
Engine cases & cylinder head cover were vapor blasted then a medium coat of VHT HEADER PAINT THEN A LIGHT TO MEDIUM COAT OF VHT CALIPER PAINT ,the caliper paint has more silvery colour than the header paint .The caliper paint takes a few heat cycles for it to bake on really hard , but once baked on it stays on .
The fenders and chain guard old finish I removed with paint stripper ,gave a coat of high build black primer filler ,light sanding then coated with duplicolour trim paint.
The black parts were stripped bare & primed with duplicolur self etching primer then top coated with VHT Caliper pant in satin black or gloss black ,depending on which part was being painted .
Maxima Sc-1 is an amazing product ,when I brought the bike home alot of the plastic parts were almost faded white , with one application of this stuff it brought back the original colour , I found letting it sit for a couple days before wiping off gave better results ,it's great on painted surface & really brings out the shine .
Tims CBX was great to deal with & besides all the parts listed on his website he also has a good supply of OEM parts & used parts ,just have to ask for what you need as they are not listed .
Bert @ Six Center Motoren was also very good to deal with an has an amazing stock of CBX parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Really useful thanks.

Where the CGR parts painted? if so what paint was used?

pablotrini67
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pablotrini67 »

Hello , not really sure what CGR parts stands for but thinking you are referring to the plastic air box etc , these I didn't paint I just cleaned up with soapy water and then applied the SC-1 , that stuff makes everything shine and return to it's normal colour , it doesn't cover scratches .

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Candy Glory Red sorry, the tank and other panels look beautiful

pablotrini67
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pablotrini67 »

Not sure the type of paint but "Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin " in Crestomere Alb. did the paint job ,he has been around a long time & has painted a number of CGR CBX'S ,he also did Devins 79 CBX "Re: Long Sleeping '79 CBX Restoration " , I got to see Devin's bike in person last year & the paint job really stands out & therefore I decided to use Bentley's & was very pleased with how it turned out ,all I can say is try to find a painter who has done the CGR on CBX'S as it's supposedly a very hard colour to even get close to the original Honda CGR.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks,

I have used RS-Bike paints colour on my bike and it has come out darker than the original. I tried several different techniques and various thinning strategies but I have come to the conclusion it is simply the wrong shade of red, a little too dark.

Having said that I am not too worried as its on a Prolink bike and I actually like the colour.

pablotrini67
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pablotrini67 »

I have been following your 82 pro-link resto and think the colour you have chosen is interesting ,the bike will look really nice once finished & don't know if you have ridden one but after riding my 82 PRO-LINK for 9 years I call it my "keepah" ,it's amazing that with 48,000 miles it still feels and rides like brand new , these bikes were hi-quality build.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

shiskowd wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:26 pm
Looks even better in person! Another long forgotten, neglected CBX brought to near-new condition. Paul's attention to the smallest detail is really evident with this restoration, well done.
It'll be embarrassing for me to park next to it :( ...I'll leave mine down the street to avoid any direct comparison.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “Project Threads”