Engine re-build question

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Engine re-build question

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

What’s Tim’s getting for a Dyna ignition and set of coils nowadays?

pablotrini67
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pablotrini67 »

Ignition = 289 , 3 x coils = 239 , 6 x 8 mm spark plug wires = 70

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

pablotrini67 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:51 pm
Ignition = 289 , 3 x coils = 239 , 6 x 8 mm spark plug wires = 70
Okay, thanks for getting back to me. :text-thankyouyellow:

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Sounds fair.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Pistons are another issue. Finding 2 or a full set of second oversize will be near impossible and costly.
Many of us have run the Crusin Image (ebay) 3mm over in the past. But lately (since covid) the quality of the rings isn't what it used to be and the head gasket too. I've used a Cometic in its place due to my concern of fitting to the dowel pins. I'd still use their pistons, pins and clips just source better rings from Total Seal and the gasket, mentioned.
Just a quick off-topic question…turns out I’m looking into ring replacement on my Cruizingimage kit (67.5mm.).
Having trouble finding suppliers that fit my requirements for them (1.2mm. for both compression rings, 2.5mm. combined for the scraper rails/expander). Curious regarding your mention of availability from Total Seal, I can find no mention of them on their website 😞 Might you have a part# you could share?

pablotrini67
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pablotrini67 »

It's been a while as the pistons were held back in shipping and re-boring took some time ,but progress has been made and the engine re-built ,no spare parts so far ,the valves all shimmed ,3,4,5 thous clearance , don't have any half sized shims to get them all the same, today I put the cylinder head cover on the engine & the next step will be get the engine mounted in the chassis.
Just a question on the valve shimming procedure before putting the engine in the chassis , it seems there is the honda manual procedure and then the method I used was starting on the # 1 cylinder , position the piston @ TDC the cam lobes facing outwards away from each other , adjust all four valves & then do the other 5 cylinders using the same method .once I had done all 24 valves I re-checked atleast three times & all was good ,just wandering if it would be a good idea to compare the valve gaps using the honda manual method.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The Honda FSM method just allows you to check all clearances with the minimum number of turns of the crankshaft. Honda's base circles are pretty consistent, so a clearance set anywhere on the base circle is usually fine.

Dave

pablotrini67
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pablotrini67 »

Thx for the vote of confidence ,was planning on double checking using the Honda FSM method but actually forgot , now will save the trouble & time & come up with a plan to get the engine in the chassis.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Dave, you answered a question that was floating around my brain. Since the base circles are consistent, one could bring up #1 and set that cylinders valves, then alternate across the head, doing intake on one cylinder, exhaust on the next, until you got to #5. Then rotate the crank 360* and do the rest. I tried it once, and while it seemed to work, I never did it again.

That's how John Deere recommends setting the valves on their bigger inline 6 engines. I've done a few......You don't turn those with a spanner.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Rick -- for the John Deere type of thing I use my 6'4" hockey player son. Works good for that type of thing! :D
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

pablotrini67
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pablotrini67 »

JOB DONE , got the engine installed without any major mishaps & completed the remainder of the hook-ups .I initially started the bike using the dyna coils & original spark unit (had this mounted externally as was not going to be used once the dyna ignition was installed ) & ignition , the bike fired up fairly easily & engine sounded good with no major issues , ran it through 5 heat cycles .I then installed the dyna ignition & with the help of Devin " Re: Long Sleeping '79 CBX Restoration" owner who dropped by with his timing light we dialled in the dyna ignition , once dialled in the engine fires up with one touch of the starter button & will idle smoothely @ 1000 rpm , have ridden about 8 kms just through the neighbourhood ,(still need to license & insure )the gearbox was butter smoothe ,surprisingly the tach & rev counter both worked fine ,honda quality 😁
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Congratulations, you must be really chuffed after completing a full rebuild.

Gorgeous looking bike a real tribute to your skills and patience

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by shiskowd »

Looks even better in person! Another long forgotten, neglected CBX brought to near-new condition. Paul's attention to the smallest detail is really evident with this restoration, well done.
2022 KTM 890R, 1982 Pro-Link, 1979 CBX 'Z, 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T
Long Sleeping '79 CBX Restoration > viewtopic.php?f=102&t=11699

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Excellent!!!!! Now, enjoy.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

pablotrini67
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pablotrini67 »

Thx for the praises ,have to admit once I got it home it was about 3 weeks before I did anything while I pondered what I was really undertaking , but happy the way it turned out ,I guess that's one advantage of being retired ,one can fully devote all their spare time to their hobby & no excuse for shortcuts.Looking forward to riding it over the summer ,it will sit very close to it's younger sibling my 1982 cbx which I have owned & cherished for the last 9 yrs.

Return to “Project Threads”