Possible good project bike ‘82

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Flashgm
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Possible good project bike ‘82

Post by Flashgm »

I want to get your thoughts on a parts bike I found for sale. It’s an 82 cbx but missing complete front end, brakes,wheel , handlebar, controls etc. It’s also missing all body parts, tank, side covers , tail and seat also no exhaust. Basically it’s a frame ,motor, carbs ,rear wheel, and the electrical that is in the frame with wiring harness. The bike hasn’t run in 20 years , the motor turns over by hand, vin check comes back clean and the owner still has the papers for it. He is asking $4200.00 CAD. My thoughts being that I would like to build a custom bike, inverted forks, modified rear section ,this way I wouldn’t have to buy a complete bike and sacrifice it to do this. I love the look of some of the custom cbx’s but I would feel guilty and hate to strip down a complete bike. What are your thoughts on the price of this bike? I think for me the missing body parts is the biggest draw back, aside from what I feel is a high asking price , seller doesn’t seem to want to negotiate the price.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Possible good project bike ‘82

Post by tevan »

Run the other way. Not worth it.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

$1200 tops. As Terry said - RUN!

Dave

Flashgm

Post by Flashgm »

$1200 I would jump on. Maybe I have to dig deeper but I’m only finding bikes from $12000 and up and there doesn’t seem to be many around. I guess the more I look the more I’ll find which is the case with my 75 cb750f.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

He's asking WAY TOO MUCH for what you're buying.

Unless you've worked on CBX's in the past, you'll be further ahead buying a running bike and modding it to your tastes.

I have a customer in your situation right now (newbee) that thought he was buying a "school bike" motor (always black, usually under 10 miles) when in fact he bought an '80 motor that came off a crashed bike with cylinder head damage, tweeked cam caps and a bent rod. He now regrets buying it due to the cost of repairs.

I offer this to anyone that will listen:
These aren't Briggs and Scrap'em lawn mowers, these aren't John Deere tractors. These motorcycles are different and require patience and a full understanding of what Honda designed and built. Certainly there are improvements that can be made but there are no shortcuts. These should be treated/worked on, like a vintage Ferrari.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Dude, St. Lazare !? I’m in DDO.
Welcome to the forum.
I just might have someone to help you out. PM sent.
Mike C.

Flashgm

Post by Flashgm »

Mike this is Gord, we sort of know each other, my better half is Sandra P. Any info on a cbx project bike would be awesome

Flashgm

Post by Flashgm »

I agree with you CBX tras. I have owned many Honda motorcycles and I’m quite good mechanically. Last winter I did the 30k valve check/adjustment on my Ducati DVT1200, what seemed like black magic to many turned out not so bad. What I don’t know I’m good at getting the info needed, I also am in no rush and I have a nice place to do the work, separate garage, heated, beer fridge, music so I’m good there. Im going to stop thinking what could be done with that half bike and look for something that would be complete and a good start for a project.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

There is a list somewhere on the forum that details what to look for and how to evaluate the worth of a used CBX, it takes into account what parts are missing and what services are needed for a running CBX!

The prices for parts and services may be out of date though, but it is still a good measuring stick.

Maybe someone can post the link up? There are also a couple old CBXpress articles detailing the process of buying a used CBX and what to look out for and hundreds of articles detailing the restoration of a CBX.

Something I have been noticing lately are quite a few newer members are trying to reinvent the wheel when restoring their CBX’s, I’ve read comments like “I learned the hard way or don’t ask me how I know” There isn’t much that hasn’t been done or figured out in the past 40 yrs that isn’t documented here or in the 20 some years of CBXpress articles that are archived here, sure there’s some new processes available due to new technologies but 99% of it has been done by someone already.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Flashgm wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:47 am
I agree with you CBX tras. I have owned many Honda motorcycles and I’m quite good mechanically. Last winter I did the 30k valve check/adjustment on my Ducati DVT1200, what seemed like black magic to many turned out not so bad. What I don’t know I’m good at getting the info needed, I also am in no rush and I have a nice place to do the work, separate garage, heated, beer fridge, music so I’m good there. Im going to stop thinking what could be done with that half bike and look for something that would be complete and a good start for a project.
FYI, here are before and after in less than 90 days but, not my first day at the beach either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Good on ya, Gord!
You’ve definitely come to the right place if you’re after expertise on getting your project up and running.
Mike C.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

$1000, tops. I was offered an extremely low miles '79 that had been stored in a living room for the last 25yrs for $10k, I lost his phone number :doh:

My cbx buddy picked this one up for $4K as it sits. His 2nd buy like that in two years, it's a beauty. The deals are there you just need to be patient, search Kijiji everyday and be prepared to act fast before my buddy sees it :lol: .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Ron Marshall is in Quebec (Mike Common is friendly with him I think) and can probably furnish whatever CBX stuff you want to start your project, before you start mixing and matching other non-CBX components into your project.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Flashgm

Post by Flashgm »

Thanks guys for the info, I will keep my eyes open and ready to jump on the right deal, which seems like the are out there.

Return to “Project Threads”