My CBX1000C Restore Project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: My CBX1000C Restore Project

Post by heli_madken »

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Some more progress on my bike -
20211228_172812.jpg
Rear tyre fitted and rear wheal assembled, footrest hangers cleaned and polished, swingarm and shock in place for final fitting and wheel fitted plus chain guard cleaned and polished.
20211228_172504.jpg
20211228_172518.jpg
20211228_171641.jpg
Rear caliper has to rebuilt and painted as yet.

Wondering where to go from here. Is there a definitive sequence for replacing a CBX engine? I have figured that I will need to fit the wiring loom, coils and oil lines before I do the initial fit of the engine at the rear. Is there anything else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Loving the red paint on the arm. Looking good.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Somehow I never noticed that the Pro-Link bikes have a metal chain guard. I don't suppose it bolts on to the early model bikes, does it?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Syscrush wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:53 pm
Somehow I never noticed that the Pro-Link bikes have a metal chain guard. I don't suppose it bolts on to the early model bikes, does it?
I am not to sure but to me it extends way too far past the line of the axle, almost like it came off another bike with a longer swing arm

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Syscrush wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:53 pm
Does NOT bolt up.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

heli_madken wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:51 pm
Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Some more progress on my bike -

<snip>

Wondering where to go from here. Is there a definitive sequence for replacing a CBX engine? I have figured that I will need to fit the wiring loom, coils and oil lines before I do the initial fit of the engine at the rear. Is there anything else?
You definitely want to install the air filter chamber, igniters, and wiring harness, electrics, and the rear master cylinder is best done at the same time as the footrest plates. Coils can wait. Jack the engine up enough to get the rear lower bolt installed and then lower it to a comfortable angle for installing the coils, oil lines/cooler, insulators, carbs (choke and throttle cables installed prior to installation) air box plenum. Then raise it up, mate the air box and plenum, wiring, etc, Follow the FSM, there is an entire section on tilting the engine. Find that here if you didn’t already: www.cbxclub.com/manuals

N.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Looking at your photos, you’re gonna need to back up a skosh and get the rear brake spindle and master cylinder installed, which means removing the swingarm pivot enough to pull that right footrest plate away to give you clearance. This will make sense when you do it, but it wont make sense that you had to do it :shock: .

Did you disassemble, clean and grease the entire swingarm linkage? Now is the time.

N.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

P.S. Terry Schmitt has the footrest rubbers that you’re going to want when you get close to the finish line and everything else looks perfect. :-)
4A488158-9227-446A-AAAC-D4D06E341D0D.jpeg
Helpfully,

N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nils Menten

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks everyone for all the great help much appreciated.
NobleHops wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:58 pm
Looking at your photos, you’re gonna need to back up a skosh and get the rear brake spindle and master cylinder installed, which means removing the swingarm pivot enough to pull that right footrest plate away to give you clearance. This will make sense when you do it, but it wont make sense that you had to do it :shock: .

Did you disassemble, clean and grease the entire swingarm linkage? Now is the time.

N.
All the bushes and collars for the swingarm where absolute toast and had worn through leaving a score mark in the middle, they where absolutely dry with no sign to me that they had ever had grease on them even from the factory. So I had to replace them all and of course they where all fully greased. Main swingarm bearings did feel ok to me so I have left them alone.

Havent torqued the pivot up yet as so I can move it out as you say. Its the sort of thing I was asking about as I know in the past on other builds I have ended up having to take things apart again, sometimes even for a second time :lol:

Footpeg rubbers are definitely on my shopping list current fronts are completely worn

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Hi Everyone,

Making steady progress mostly working on brakes and getting the major part of the electrics in place -
20220107_161231.jpg
Front and rear brakes have been rebuilt with new seals, rubber boots etc and painted/baked. I only had to replace two pistons on the front right caliper which where a little corroded -
20220107_161132.jpg
20220107_161417.jpg
Battery box fitted and some of the electrical components, solenoid, winker relay etc.
20220107_161220.jpg
Clocks are back in place together with switch gear (temporarily on left side). The tacho didnt work when I fired the engine up originally. I stripped the clocks down for cleaning and a look and unlike earlier clocks which can be persuaded to come apart I couldn't readily see any way of doing these. I take it they can be serviced? -
20220107_161208.jpg
Main wiring loom is back on, I love the use of micro connectors which makes life so much easier compared to multiple bullet connectors on earlier bikes. The loom covering was damaged in a few places so I have recovered with loom tape. I do love the connection box of the Pro-Link bikes, so neat -
20220107_161145.jpg
The manual has some great drawings of how cables and wires are routed but I must say one of Noblehops photos of the bike he has just sold was an immense help, thank you :D

Next up is to bleed the brakes, a job which I hate doing, and to sort out the oil cooler and oil lines. Then its a toss up between getting the motor back in or start work on the carbs.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I have several tear-down galleries that a lot of folks use for reference, very glad you found one useful.
Nils Menten

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Looking great! BTW - EBC sells a HH pad for those calipers, and in my experience they're definitely a worthwhile upgrade from OEM. They do have a sharper initial bite, which not everybody will like on a dive-prone damping rod front end like the CBX's, but for me it was a very worthy tradeoff to get 2-finger braking in most cases.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Phil. I bought EBC FA Series Organic pads for the front and the sintered HH pads for the rear as that is all that seams to be available over here, hopefully they will be an improvement over the stock pads. I havent seen HH fronts here are they available in the US?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

heli_madken wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:37 pm
Thanks Phil. I bought EBC FA Series Organic pads for the front and the sintered HH pads for the rear as that is all that seams to be available over here, hopefully they will be an improvement over the stock pads. I havent seen HH fronts here are they available in the US?
My impression was that the ProLink bikes could take the same pads as the CB1100F and other DOHC4 Hondas. I had CB1100F calipers and rotors on my bike when I bought it in '13, and was able to get HH pads then. I can't say for sure if they're still available or if the DOHC4 pads would fit the ProLink calipers - maybe someone else here knows more.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Syscrush wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:30 pm
heli_madken wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:37 pm
My impression was that the ProLink bikes could take the same pads as the CB1100F and other DOHC4 Hondas. I had CB1100F calipers and rotors on my bike when I bought it in '13, and was able to get HH pads then. I can't say for sure if they're still available or if the DOHC4 pads would fit the ProLink calipers - maybe someone else here knows more.
You can get that information from EBC’s website, look through the product catalog, it has all the applications and dimensions for any particular pad they sell, it gives you what you need to cross reference any pad to all its applications. Scroll down to Honda, CBX and go from there, you’ll figure it out.

I don’t have the link handy but I have posted it here on the forum several times.

Return to “Project Threads”