My CBX1000C Restore Project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: My CBX1000C Restore Project

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Looks brill, super job 👏

pablotrini67
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pablotrini67 »

Looks really good ,just wandering if you have ridden a pro-link before ,just my opinion but I find them more enjoyable to ride than the 79 , it's definitely a more refined ride plus the fairing adds some protection.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Very very nice.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Wow! Looks great, Ken.
Would love to hear a clip of those shiny Supertrapps run through the gears i

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Amazing work, so glad to see it all come together.

There are a lot of nice personal touches on this bike, and all of it done to a really high standard, it's great to see your plan executed so well.

It's funny, I have an irrational hatred for crash bars, and I thought that painting them body color was a mistake, but when I see them on the bike and the color and even the shape ties in with the fairing - it looks great to me. That change plus blacking out the lower part of the tail section really draws the eye to the best-looking parts of the bike and makes it look better-balanced visually to me than most Pro-Links.

My hat's off for a job well done.

I think that this might become my go-to question for nice completed builds: have you thought about getting some good photos taken by a pro, maybe submit the bike for a feature somewhere?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Everyone, very much appreciated.

Phil, thanks you so much for your comments. Jeff mentioned that he didnt like the red crash bars because they didnt 'flow' which I appreciate but I figured once the leg shields where on they would match their angle.

Yes I have found taking photographs on this thread very frustrating, even the finished photographs are not very good. I used a very good quality clear coat, spent a lot of time flatting out then polishing with a DA followed by a very good quality 3 stage quartz/silicone polishing system. The depth of the shine is fantastic but my camera just doesn't show it. So a professional photographer might be the answer and around here there are plenty of stunning locations.

Trying again using flash in the garage but it still doesn't get it -
20220408_140256.jpg
My next challenge is getting through an inspection before I can register the bike. I live in a remote area and the nearest testing station is 56 miles away. I took a drive up there yesterday to book in. When I explained that I needed an MOT on an unregistered bike (which is legally possible) the poor old guy just looked at me blankly. I explained that it was possible and even told him how to enter the 'Not Known' in the registration field but he insisted that in his last 50 years as an MOT inspector he had never come across it and I had to get the bike registered first. It was actually quite funny trying to explain the process to him but in the end I got a flat no. It really is a different world up here its like going back in time 50 years.

So I have to figure out my next move now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Excellent build and an absolutely beautiful paint job!
Good luck with your registration.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thank you, very much appreciated hondaman160mph.

I almost forgot, I mentioned that I had designed an adapter to tackle dynamic timing, its in 3 parts -
Dynamic Timing Adapter.jpg
The first part is an adapter and bolts directly to the crankcase housing using hex head screws -
20220403_154447.jpg
Then onto this bolts a glass holder, there is glass in this picture you just cant see it -
20220403_154257.jpg
I painted the F mark on the crankshaft yellow, warmed the engine up with the usual cover on then swapped to the adapter. I have a good quality strobe but I could see the timing mark clearly so any strobe would do it I think. Takes just a few seconds to get the timing spot on.

If you want the files to get one printed they are here for a couple of days, if you cant get them PM me -
https://files.fm/u/pnsxggmtz

You will need a piece of 95 x 4mm glass like this one -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323161700495

You will also need an extra gasket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

I made similar to this on my wood cnc router and used hdpp and plexiglass

Thanks for sharing. Look more neat
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

heli_madken wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:16 am
Yes I have found taking photographs on this thread very frustrating, even the finished photographs are not very good. I used a very good quality clear coat, spent a lot of time flatting out then polishing with a DA followed by a very good quality 3 stage quartz/silicone polishing system. The depth of the shine is fantastic but my camera just doesn't show it. So a professional photographer might be the answer and around here there are plenty of stunning locations.
Getting good photos of something highly reflective is very tricky. I'm no expert, but I expect that using the flash is nearly the worst thing you could do - you don't want a point source of harsh light, you want a large amount of very diffuse light. If you can wheel the bike out on an overcast day, put your camera on a tripod, fit a polarizing filter to let you tune the reflections, and do a longer exposure, you'd get a much better result.

A big part of the skill that the pros have is how to properly manage light. Like wrenching on bikes, some of that comes down to equipment, but the most important factor is knowledge of what gear to use and how to use it.

IMO a pro photographer who specializes in bikes & cars would be well worth it, but if you want to get specific advice or guidance on getting the best pics of your bike then consider joining the conversation in this thread. Some of the participants there have done some really nice work and may be able to offer good pointers.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

I almost forgot, I mentioned that I had designed an adapter to tackle dynamic timing, its in 3 parts -
Dynamic Timing Adapter.jpg
The first part is an adapter and bolts directly to the crankcase housing using hex head screws -
20220403_154447.jpg
Then onto this bolts a glass holder, there is glass in this picture you just cant see it -
20220403_154257.jpg
I painted the F mark on the crankshaft yellow, warmed the engine up with the usual cover on then swapped to the adapter. I have a good quality strobe but I could see the timing mark clearly so any strobe would do it I think. Takes just a few seconds to get the timing spot on.
Brilliant bit of McGyvering on your part Ken 👏

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thank you but I think I am going to delete this thread after just looking at your build, how boring is my bike in comparison, depressed :(

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

heli_madken wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:34 am
Thank you but I think I am going to delete this thread after just looking at your build, how boring is my bike in comparison, depressed :(
Funny, I don’t see it like that at all and hope you’re joking.
You have done a terrific build and we are all the better for your having shared it with us all.
Stand tall, Cadet 👏

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Yeah I guess there isnt any such thing as a boring CBX1000!

There are some beautiful bikes on this forum and very talented individuals building them

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

heli_madken wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 am
Yeah I guess there isnt any such thing as a boring CBX1000!

There are some beautiful bikes on this forum and very talented individuals building them
Absolutely!
EVERY bike is special, deserving of merit from those of us following along from the sidelines, and a source of pride for the owner.

Return to “Project Threads”