My CBX1000C Restore Project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: My CBX1000C Restore Project

Post by Rick Pope »

That is absolutely stunning. Well done sir!!
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Bassy
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Bassy »

I have just joined this forum after purchasing a 1982 pro link…still awaiting delivery!
Having read all 221 posts in this thread I just want to say what an amazing job Ken has done with his CBX, the skills demonstrated and knowledge and advice given are mind blowing. What a group you are. So excited to get stuck into my own project…

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thank you so much Bassy and welcome to the forum.

You are going to enjoy restoring your 82, they are great bikes to work on, surprisingly modern both in equipment and ride. Keep us posted on your progress.

If you are ever up in south west Scotland drop me a line and call in.

Bassy

Post by Bassy »

heli_madken wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:55 am
Thank you so much Bassy and welcome to the forum.

You are going to enjoy restoring your 82, they are great bikes to work on, surprisingly modern both in equipment and ride. Keep us posted on your progress.

If you are ever up in south west Scotland drop me a line and call in.
I should be up your way in March/April 2023 so may well take you up on that, would be amazing to see your CBX in the flesh.
A question on your engine/frame/tank paintwork - do you have a professional paint spray system at home?

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

The only thing I have thats professional level is an air fed mask which I think is essential when using isocynate 2k based paints. I do also have a large compressor with a 100 litre air tank to feed the mask but would not class it as 'professional'.

The rest is very amateur, I make a tent in the garage with some plastic sheet that is held together with velcro. Actually works ok and keeps overspray into the garage at a minimum and if I spray some water into the air before I spray works well to keep fluff infusion down. I wear one piece paper overalls which also helps and is also essential protection against the 2k paints.

I have a reasonable HVLP touch up gun with a 1.4 mm nozzle which seems to work ok for general spraying. Also have an Iwata Revolution airbrush for touch ups and hard to reach places.

I use new cups for mixing and 125 or 190 micron filters to sieve paint before use. I am also very meticulous about cleaning guns after use

Definitely would not class myself as a skilled painter I just keep going until it is done. if it means doing it again to get a better result then so be it, with me its more dogged determination and patience.

Bassy

Post by Bassy »

heli_madken wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:00 pm
The only thing I have thats professional level is an air fed mask which I think is essential when using isocynate 2k based paints. I do also have a large compressor with a 100 litre air tank to feed the mask but would not class it as 'professional'.

The rest is very amateur, I make a tent in the garage with some plastic sheet that is held together with velcro. Actually works ok and keeps overspray into the garage at a minimum and if I spray some water into the air before I spray works well to keep fluff infusion down. I wear one piece paper overalls which also helps and is also essential protection against the 2k paints.

I have a reasonable HVLP touch up gun with a 1.4 mm nozzle which seems to work ok for general spraying. Also have an Iwata Revolution airbrush for touch ups and hard to reach places.

I use new cups for mixing and 125 or 190 micron filters to sieve paint before use. I am also very meticulous about cleaning guns after use

Definitely would not class myself as a skilled painter I just keep going until it is done. if it means doing it again to get a better result then so be it, with me its more dogged determination and patience.
Great stuff, thanks for the info.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

heli_madken wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:00 pm
I'm curious - what do you think is the difference between that and a skilled painter? :lol:

Between someone who can do a passable job with minimal effort vs. one that won't quit until the result is correct, I'll take the latter every single time.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Phil much appreciated. I never ever show pictures of the absolute b*llocks I make of things sometimes though :D :D

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Hi Everyone,

Had a great day out riding with the Galloway Motorcycle Club through the Mennock Pass. Stunning place if a little on the bleak side but what a road to ride on.

I love this bike -
IMG-20230521-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20230521-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20230521-WA0002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The bike and Supertrapps still look great, Ken.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

That close shot really shows the bike off, it’s such a unique CBX and I bet it turns heads wherever you go! The new life you have given to Dave’s old bike warms my heart every time I see you enjoying it. 👍

This was a photo from a CBX rally at the Dragon, mid 90’s ? Left to right Dave is the fifth one down, with his lean on taking a cig break and his bike then, your CBX now is just off frame!

Jeff
38D5CCE4-BF2A-4DE7-BB08-C0CB364C98B5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Hijack - Who can name all the folks in Jeff's photo?

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Intentionally out of order.......James Elliot, Dave Ditner, Darleen Bleyenberg, Paul Jasovsky, Mike Brown/Barone, Al Bleyenberg, and of course Jeff Bennetts.

Dang, that was a long time ago. Susan and I were just pulling up when that picture was taken.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “Project Threads”