My CBX1000C Restore Project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: My CBX1000C Restore Project

Post by daves79x »

Honda did make half shim sizes ie: 272, 278, 282,288 etc. Your local dealer, if they still have the old DOHC shims, should have every size and half size. Failing that, Larry is correct, go to the wider clearance. Also, Mike is correct. Measure every shim you touch to be sure what it is. Final clearance though, will tell the tale.

Dave

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Dave.

Whilst waiting for the shims to be delivered I thought I would have a go at trying to rescue the right muffler.

Earlier in the thread I showed how badly crushed and scored the right muffler was -
20210807_161205.jpg
I managed to get the baffle out and used a couple of mushroom stakes to beat out the worst of the creases, then I ruined two perfectly good hammers to use as a dolly and reach down further to get more of the creases and dings -
20220128_164109.jpg
Anyway after a lot of work and then polishing this is how it came out -
20220128_165509.jpg
20220128_165524.jpg
20220128_165840.jpg
It is far from perfect so the jury is still out for me as to replacing the system, most of the damage is underneath so cant readily be seen but 'I know its there'

Does look nicer in my view polished than the satin finish but I guess it may have looked better when new.

Going to have a go at polishing the headers to see how it looks together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Wow - great work!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Excellent work on the muffler, Ken.
I think you made the right decision in polishing it as the shine disguises a lot of your handiwork.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Yes I will either have to park facing the sun so everyone is blinded and cant see the scratches or simply next to a big brick wall :D

Got the right side headers done today, the material is slightly softer than the muffler so polishes a little easier. I used a 150mm x 10mm razor felt wheel along with a selection of others to get into all the hard to reach places.

This was the header that had the big dent in, really isn't noticeable now -
20220129_180936.jpg
20220129_180645.jpg
On to the left side now, wont take as long as it isn't badly marked or dented.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Crazy mad skills on that metal repair, bravo!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Gorgeous :text-goodpost:

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

heli_madken wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:16 pm
On to the left side now, wont take as long as it isn't badly marked or dented.
I have to be joking, it has taken me all week non stop work to get the left side done. The brushed effect seemed to be more prominent than the right side, this together with some strange scratches took a lot of work to get a decent finish -
20220204_165432.jpg
I do like the end caps, at present I have 9 spacers in place, anyone here know the optimum number? I know this will be down to personal taste to a degree -
20220204_165504.jpg
The 'Money Shot' -
20220204_164831.jpg
I can finally move on towards getting the engine back in place now!

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

More air in, more air out, simple easy formula! Stock motor, stock carbs, stock intake, start in the middle, the rest will affect the DB’s but probably not much else.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Busy building a new storage shed so not loads of progress this week, weather is bad though so I have reached a milestone that I have been thinking about for some time. I was a little worried about it but all went very easily using the dolly to move the engine into position and get the rear mounting bolt in place -
20220210_133207.jpg
I haven't seen a picture of Dyna coils fitted to a CBX so this is just for reference. They are a direct fit although from past experience I know it is going to be tricky to fit the HT leads into the coils, I will probably end up removing the coils to get them in place -
20220210_135219.jpg
20220210_133230.jpg
Could somebody confirm for me please that the longer of the two oil lines is fitted to the right side of the bike?

Now some help with the colour scheme. I am only a few weeks off bodywork painting, I have made my mind up to go with CGR as I love the colour. Originally I had the same scheme as an 81 Magnum Silver Metallic in terms of the striping across the fairing/tank and down to the side panels but using a black/gold combination.

But then I came across this just recently -
Red 2.jpg
Red 1.jpg
The thing is I dont like it! I think perhaps its just too much gold and also the gold is well 'shout it in your face GOLD'. So I am thinking of a much narrower black line (around 20 to 25mm, wide enough to make a mask for the 'SuperSport' logo) which terminates at the front of the fairing and doesn't follow up the vertical sides of the headlamp then below this a 4mm wide gold stripe using a much darker more subdued gold. No stripe above the black line.

Any opinions please?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I like the colors on that CGR pro-link a lot, but I don't like the use of the twin-shock logo on the pro-link bike. I love the later pro-link graphics, from the fade stripes to the 80's font - but it would look wrong on the 70's vibe of the naked bike, and similarly the 70's logo doesn't fit the 80's feel of the faired model.

I think that your black engine will also look better with a bold black stripe than the red bike does with its silver engine.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but what do you think of doing silver pinstripes and the grey/silver CBX logo instead of gold? That would mirror the raised edges of your wheels and look sharp, IMO.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

There was a member in the Netherlands that had a late model CBX with a CB1100R tail and it was painted Black with gold details and a black motor!

Maybe some of the older members remember the picture he posted, his wife was sitting on it with her feminine headlights on high beam!

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Syscrush wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:33 am
I'm just thinking out loud here, but what do you think of doing silver pinstripes and the grey/silver CBX logo instead of gold? That would mirror the raised edges of your wheels and look sharp, IMO.
I like that Phil, from memory gold had pretty much gone from Honda's by the early 80's so perhaps it would suit this bike better.

Funny enough my wife has suggested the same thing, she also persuaded me to paint the 550 stripe silver as opposed to gold as well as she felt it clashed with the Orange, here it is before I applied clear, I think she was right -
rsz_20210130_171241.jpg
Agree on the logo as well, I may also go back to a silver stripe above the black stripe as it will contain the 'SuperSport' logo better.

Jeff, one aspect of the pro-link I dont like is the rear mudguard, the top section is fine but the bottom section is far too boxy and clumsy looking. Been wracking my brains what to do but the grab rail line limits anything easily done. I was toying with the idea of painting it satin black to disguise it a little but not sure

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I have some 82 side covers, rear fender and other miscellaneous stuff, if you’re looking to experiment with the paint and body work I’ll sell it all to you on the cheap!

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Jeff do you have any panniers? I have something planned for the panniers :D

Return to “Project Threads”