My CBX1000C Restore Project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: My CBX1000C Restore Project

Post by heli_madken »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:00 am
Dave would be tickled pink to the changes you have made! He is smiling down today with a big thumbs up! :angelic-cyan: :thumupp:
Thank you Jeff that means a lot to me.

Done the silver base for the black panel/stripes -
20220309_175308.jpg
I know it looks a bit odd, trust me it will be fine :-)

I have gone with a solid panel on the tail piece as on earlier bikes -
20220309_174951.jpg
Rick Pope wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:05 am
Old Man image? I bristle at the thought. I put bags on my Moto Guzzi because I got spoiled by the versatility when I had my BMW RT. My preference is a small fairing/screen and bags. Watching your build, I think you could make the bags fit it with the careful application of graphics.

BTW, I love how it's coming together.
Its only my wifes opinion Rick :D I Have a 1977 GL1000 K2 with Krauser style panniers which she thinks looks like an old mans bike, I keep reminding her that I had exactly the same bike when I was 19 but she wont have it -
20190720_180257.jpg
You can see my R1250RT in the background. I had two RT's a 1200 which I absolutely loved but absolutely hated the 1250 and quickly got shut.

I did love the size of the panniers on the RT and the usefulness of them on longer rides so I hear what you are saying I will fit the panniers for the major part of the time. BUT I intend changing them, to me they look too skinny from the rear (just my opinion). I would imagine Honda were concerned about all up weight with larger panniers (am I right?) so went with this option. I am not too worried as I don't carry pillion passengers and wont be loading them up tremendously so intend making them wider, Wont be until next Autumn though, garden and house jobs beckon..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Got the black done today -
20220310_135007.jpg
20220310_135019.jpg
Any thoughts on how it looks with the silver as opposed to gold?

Next up is the tank logo. I have gone both ways on this with a black border and silver centre or the other way round. One controlling factor though is the shape of the tank, is the ProLink tank different compared to earlier bikes? There seems to me to be a definite flatter area on the side of the tank which then sculpts in quite quickly towards the rear. So any logo over a certain size would need to follow this and perhaps look a little odd. The maximum width I feel I can go to is just 130mm which maintaining the aspect ratio of the font would make a height of just 15mm so very small. This makes a border really out of the question so I think I will go with just silver.

I think I will cut a mask and see how it looks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

This is shaping up quite nicely.

If you make me like a Pro-Link I might never forgive you. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Phil, I think your suggestion of silver is working out well.

So I went up to 160mm width and just the silver and I am pleased with the result -
20220311_105926.jpg
I think its quite modern looking and again Phil I have stuck with the ProLink font for the 'Super Sport' Actually I hope I have as I had to draw it because I could not find a suitable font anywhere so I hope its reasonably close.

Next up is the tank top '24 Valves' logo which due to its size is a little more challenging to these old eyes.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I’m going to wait until you’re completed,I know something like this has a lot of movement parts but flow is super important in any type of scheme, but the crash bars are too proud for me, they interrupt the flow of my eye, step back about 10 feet what do you see, the crash bars rising vertically against everything else flowing horizontally, black or silver, black to make them blend in with the frame or silver to blend them in with the motor. JMHO

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks for your input Dave, I hear what you are saying. I think I will wait until the fairing is on and see how it relates. Wont be any problem to spray it another colour.

Done the tank top emblem, I have tried to add a bit of interest with a blue fade, as the original logo did have a fade to it, but just at the limit of my capabilities so tell me what you think -
20220311_131526.jpg

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Gotta be honest, not liking the blue fade. No blue anywhere else it looks out of place.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

I really like the overall theme of your paint job and graphics, it still retains the original concept but with a twist, you have some mad skills!!!

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

hondaman160mph wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:55 am
Gotta be honest, not liking the blue fade. No blue anywhere else it looks out of place.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate what you are saying. I think I will leave it for now as to me it looks very striking, when taken overall it doesnt look out of place to me.

So here is where I am up to today -
20220311_174801.jpg
20220311_174038.jpg
20220311_174011.jpg
I hope to move on to the fairing tomorrow, same process, marking out, masking then silver.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Just about to get started on the Fairing. One thing I don't like about the original stripe is how the horizontal section doesn't align by a long way with the tank stripe, just my personal taste of course.

So at the risk of upsetting people I am going to change it shown by the yellow lines here -
Fairing Stripe.png
There is a flat section on the faring which to me is a more natural place for the Super Sport logo which encourages me to alter the position of the stripe, if it doesn't work I can always start from scratch again!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Great workmanship! I have to admit that I'm have a hard time picturing that this color will be Candy Glory Red after the clear is applied. I know you mentioned the pics were not indicative of the true color - I guess I'm hoping not!

Dave

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

My phone/camera is rubbish Dave, the colour will change a lot after the clear is applied but I do think you are unfortunately correct it isnt going to be a totally direct match I dont think to what I remember as CGR (havent actually seen a CGR bike in the flesh for a while). The problem with Candy colours is that they get darker the more paint you apply so trying to match the colour completely is very difficult.

It is the same colour as can be seen in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwN73FgKAKU watch what happens when he wets the tank to apply the stripe.

It wont be far off but not exactly the same I dont think.

I am not shooting for originality here just what I want for my bike.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

About your tank decal with the blue fade..... The original had blue because the body accent was blue. Since you're using red, why not do the fade in red as well? If it's not too late.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

No its not too late I can over mask it shoot some silver and go with the red I have thought about it. The thing is I do actually like the blue, my thoughts are is that it is a logo at the end of the day which you often see in other colours on other bikes and cars.

Looks like popular opinion is that I should change it?

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Hi Everyone,

Pretty much done for now I will complete the panniers next winter. Just have to get an inspection and registration done before I can ride properly but I have been up and down the service road here and she runs superbly.

Overall I am extremely pleased with how the bike has turned out. I did flat back the centre tank panel and do the logo in a red fade but what does red and silver make? nope not having any pink on this bike so did it yet again back to my original choice blue.

Some pictures -
20220407_165114.jpg
20220407_165835.jpg
20220407_165133.jpg
20220407_165848.jpg
20220407_165937.jpg
20220407_165918.jpg
All my frame bashing worked as the rear mudguard has ended up pretty much spot on -
20220407_165153.jpg
Thank you everyone for your help and support

Return to “Project Threads”