My CBX1000C Restore Project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: My CBX1000C Restore Project

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Congratulations on the first start-up!

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Congrats! Dave would be happy.

Dave

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks everyone,

Just had to do a video of that noise, I just cant get over it, the whole garage reverberates with it, jeez I am going to upset some neighbours -
https://youtu.be/UyHSEIxziGw

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Aren't you glad you didn't tear into the engine? A tip on the Dyna timing - I know, the instructions suck- you might think that the little round magnet on the rotor should pretty much line up with the corresponding spot on the pulse unit (1-6) for static timing. It does not. Static time the bike by pulling #6 plug, attach the plug wire, turn on the key. Then slowly rotate the engine through the F mark on the crank. At some point you will hear a snap as the plug fires. That's where you want The F mark to be. The pulsar plate will end up being rotated completely to the stop, and you may have to file it a bit to get it perfect. When you're done, you will see that the magnet on the rotor is way ahead of the mark on the pulsar. Apparently the magnet is strong enough to trigger the spark that far ahead. If you set the static timing with the marks lined up, you will be running way too much advance.

As you might be able to tell, I'm not a Dyna fan. These units were built for the Kawasaki triples, you'd have thought that they could have modified the plates so they worked without fiddling and including instructions on actually how to time it.

Dave

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Dave,

I am just in the process of 3D printing this so I can dynamically time the engine using the crank 'F' mark.
Crank_end_adapter.png
I trimmed the Dyna backing plate to allow more adjustment. I set the timing by aligning the 'F' mark then using a multi-meter attached to the Number 1 Coil low tension input I rotated the backing plate until I could see the exact moment the coil fired. I think this will do for now as the engine seems to be running fine.

PS Yes I am happy I didn't tear into the engine it all sounds fantastic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JoeInTUS »

Once upon a time Tim's provided static timing instructions for the Dyna Ignition. They do not now.

Never heard of Norma and Alex Sharp. After Tim and before Bill perhaps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

JoeInTUS wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:05 pm
Once upon a time Tim's provided static timing instructions for the Dyna Ignition. They do not now.
Thanks, yes that procedure isnt sent out anymore, it is almost exactly the same as what I did which is pretty much standard stuff.

Bill seems to feel there is a risk that if you take too long over setting the timing statically with the ignition on you run the risk of burning modules and coils. So he doesnt advocate that method anymore and you get a small timing disk to set things dynamically.

To me it was just too much faffing about with bits of wire etc and in my view not very accurate anyway. I have the same system on two other bikes and never had any issues so decided to do it initially statically. If you get everything set up it only takes a few seconds anyway.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Following with interest the discussion regarding your timing issues.
I wonder…how many folks rely solely on the static timing method vs how many use both static AND dynamic?
I couldn’t see myself ever being satisfied with the static option as my only method of timing the six.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

No updates for a while sorry. Took a lot of care over applying the POR 15 tank liner, what a messy thing to do but it seems to have gone well.

I have gone through every part to be painted preparing then more preparing so quite monotonous really but needs to be done with some care and diligence.

All the back sides of the bodywork plus the inner surfaces of the fairing has been painted satin black then masked off, today I have finished applying the silver basecoat and tomorrow hope to start applying colour.

Just a boring photo of some base painted parts, there is a lot of bodywork on a Prolink! -
20220307_154720.jpg

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Red done today, next up is to start marking out the stripes which I will do for the tank side stripe with everything assembled on the bike.

The photo is making the colour look much darker than it actually is, I have sprayed three very thin coats so it should be close to the original Honda colour but I know it wont be an exact match -
20220308_171734.jpg

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Assembled everything so I can start getting the side stripe on and have a look at how the colour looks -
20220309_110017.jpg
I went with satin black for the rear mudguard, I think it does tone down the bulkiness of the area compared to the white colour, what do you think -
20220309_110030.jpg
Apologies for the darkness of the photos, my spray booth/tent is making the garage very dark

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

heli_madken wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:08 am
I went with satin black for the rear mudguard, I think it does tone down the bulkiness of the area compared to the white colour, what do you think -
I think that's one of the best changes you could make to the look of this bike with paint.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Thanks Phil, I am pleased with how it looks.

One other change I made was to the crash bars which where too far gone to polish up the chrome so I did them CGR, I quite like how they have turned out as a contrast to the black engine -
20220309_131555.jpg
Wife has thrown a spanner in the works as she wants me to leave the fairing and panniers off. She says it looks 'mean' as is and will match my 'old man' status if I put them on. I think I will compromise and carry on for now with the fairing but plan to have the option of removing everything for the best days of the summer. The only change I will need to make to the paint scheme is to add a 'Honda' logo to the side of the tank.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Dave would be tickled pink to the changes you have made! He is smiling down today with a big thumbs up! :angelic-cyan: :thumupp:

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Old Man image? I bristle at the thought. I put bags on my Moto Guzzi because I got spoiled by the versatility when I had my BMW RT. My preference is a small fairing/screen and bags. Watching your build, I think you could make the bags fit it with the careful application of graphics.

BTW, I love how it's coming together.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “Project Threads”