Somewhat modern 79 cbx

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Somewhat modern 79 cbx

Post by wyly »

Salman_z8 wrote:Is there a contact for ted ?
I believe, Al, that got me this motor might have actually gotten this from ted, if i recall correctly.

But Al is in NZ i believe, and i am looking to hustle here.
Ted is a forum member send him a pm. hcbx1047 He bought a cbx horde in Cremona
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Hi there - I wish I had seen this sooner - it looks very exciting!

Welcome to the site and to CBX ownership!
Salman_z8 wrote:No complaints there, infact i could have never brought myself to cut up a good frame, never have in the past of any bike really ... but that sort of lead to the idea of a better handling and lighter cbx.

Found a cbx triple, used the steering stem to graft the gsxr front end. Great, super easy.
I'm just here to note that "handling" is not one thing, and different people care more about different factors. You have to decide what you care about most and make the compromises that work for you.

Others have gone a similar route to you for upgrading suspension and brakes on these bikes, and I don't think I've encountered anyone complaining about the results. With that said, I'll note some of the compromises that have been made with the setup you're showing here.

First, the smaller diameter wheels will mean less ground clearance, which probably doesn't matter if you're riding like a sane person on public roads. Still, you are giving up some lean angle in exchange for much better damping (at least in front).

Second, the GSX-R triples will probably mean increased trail on your CBX. Good for stability, not good for turn-in or transitions. If you plan to do show & shine cruising or highway riding, it should be fine and might even be an improvement - but here you're giving up responsiveness in exchange for lower cost (compared to custom triples).

Third, the longer swingarm will also make the bike more stable for straight-line riding, but hurt turn-in and transitions.

Lastly, you didn't say anything about how the shock or its mounting location was chosen, but to my untrained eye this looks like a problematic geometry. You will want to enlist the help of a genuine suspension expert if you are going to proceed with this approach - someone who can help you match the geometry of the mounting and the properties of the shock to the loads that will be encountered. If budget is a concern, I would seriously suggest going back to a twin-shock setup by having some mounts welded to the new swinger as close as possible to the stock locations.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck!!!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

wyly wrote:
Salman_z8 wrote:Cb750, sohc at least have a different style starter motor mounts, being bolted at 90 degrees to the shaft, cbx has bolts in line with the shaft.
I don't know much about the conversion actually, I was at local vintage bike night and another CBX owner "thought" I was having starter problems. He explained how he replaced his with a cb750 starter, I didn't pay much attention to the explanation as I knew there was nothing wrong with mine.
By looking at them, seems like the guts might be interchangable.
But mounts are different.
One day, i’ll have em all finished.

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

If anyone has some parts kicking around for the cbx please pm me;

Exhaust guides .. need at least 2
New exhaust valves ..need 4
Otherwise i will revert to the other member who has some used valves
Starter motor

Need engine mount spacers ..top and bottom for the rear mounts.
Or, may be just if someone could measure theirs, and i will make some.

Rear sets ?? Both left and right. Oem, aftermarket, anything

Head gasket, and calve cover gasket.

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

If anyone has some parts kicking around for the cbx please pm me;

Exhaust guides .. need at least 2
New exhaust valves ..need 4
Otherwise i will revert to the other member who has some used valves
Starter motor

Need engine mount spacers ..top and bottom for the rear mounts.
Or, may be just if someone could measure theirs, and i will make some.

Rear sets ?? Both left and right. Oem, aftermarket, anything

Head gasket, and calve cover gasket.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Rear sets were standard on euro cbx so your best bet is Bert at Six Center Motoren. I'd really surprised if he didn't have a set.

There is a list on the forum of it's most trusted suppliers, probably get everything you need through them.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

Syscrush wrote:Hi there - I wish I had seen this sooner - it looks very exciting!

Welcome to the site and to CBX ownership!
Salman_z8 wrote:No complaints there, infact i could have never brought myself to cut up a good frame, never have in the past of any bike really ... but that sort of lead to the idea of a better handling and lighter cbx.

Found a cbx triple, used the steering stem to graft the gsxr front end. Great, super easy.
I'm just here to note that "handling" is not one thing, and different people care more about different factors. You have to decide what you care about most and make the compromises that work for you.

Others have gone a similar route to you for upgrading suspension and brakes on these bikes, and I don't think I've encountered anyone complaining about the results. With that said, I'll note some of the compromises that have been made with the setup you're showing here.

First, the smaller diameter wheels will mean less ground clearance, which probably doesn't matter if you're riding like a sane person on public roads. Still, you are giving up some lean angle in exchange for much better damping (at least in front).

Second, the GSX-R triples will probably mean increased trail on your CBX. Good for stability, not good for turn-in or transitions. If you plan to do show & shine cruising or highway riding, it should be fine and might even be an improvement - but here you're giving up responsiveness in exchange for lower cost (compared to custom triples).

Third, the longer swingarm will also make the bike more stable for straight-line riding, but hurt turn-in and transitions.

Lastly, you didn't say anything about how the shock or its mounting location was chosen, but to my untrained eye this looks like a problematic geometry. You will want to enlist the help of a genuine suspension expert if you are going to proceed with this approach - someone who can help you match the geometry of the mounting and the properties of the shock to the loads that will be encountered. If budget is a concern, I would seriously suggest going back to a twin-shock setup by having some mounts welded to the new swinger as close as possible to the stock locations.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck!!!
Hi phil

Thanks for the comment, i didnt see this till now.
The rear shock thats in the photo is from a 01 zx10r.
I was originally planning on using the linkage with the swingarm, but sort of had some clearance issues. If i can get away without using linkage, i Might go that route with an oversprung shock. Not ideal though.

Ground clearance i have quite a bit at the moment, with the 1100 shocks, more if i dont use clip ons and raise the forks in the triple.

But hav sort of stopped at this point, and working on the motor first.

The longer length swingarm does bother me a little, as i wanted a shorter than stock wheel base but working with what i have at the moment. May consider shortening the swing arm if i end up without the linkage.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input, its much appreciated

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

If I recall my GS1100 swingarm increased the wheelbase by 2" which should result in more stable ride. I imagine that it's partially offset by a smaller 18" front wheel. I have no obvious issues with handling other than it feels better "to me" than the oem setup.

CBXSUDBURY
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by CBXSUDBURY »

Somewhat modern 79 cbx
Preview: Re: Somewhat modern 79 cbx
Hey Salman z28, welcome to the CBX world. These bikes and engines are great. Where abouts in Canada are you located?

I’m in Sudbury Ontario and have owned a few but now down to only 1 cbx now. 1982 Prolink bought new in February 1982. I do a lot of riding with it and it runs like a top.
Did you ever get anyone responding on a gas tank? I have one and if interested, I will take pictures and pictures for your viewing with a history of it if interested.

You can pm me at Lam@vianet.ca

Cheers
Yvon Lamarche
1982 CBXSudbury

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

CBXSUDBURY wrote:Somewhat modern 79 cbx
Preview: Re: Somewhat modern 79 cbx
Hey Salman z28, welcome to the CBX world. These bikes and engines are great. Where abouts in Canada are you located?

I’m in Sudbury Ontario and have owned a few but now down to only 1 cbx now. 1982 Prolink bought new in February 1982. I do a lot of riding with it and it runs like a top.
Did you ever get anyone responding on a gas tank? I have one and if interested, I will take pictures and pictures for your viewing with a history of it if interested.

You can pm me at Lam@vianet.ca

Cheers
Yvon Lamarche
1982 CBXSudbury
Awesome, please send pics
I am in alberta

CBXSUDBURY

Post by CBXSUDBURY »

Please email me at Lam@vianet.ca

I have a hard time attaching photos to this forum.

Thanks
Yvon
82 CBXsudbury

CBXSUDBURY

Post by CBXSUDBURY »

Hi Salman z28,
This is a test but best to send me an email, have several pictures and shows the issues with the tank.

I have used it for a whole season with no issues after I coated the tank with Red Kote, but it still has minor issues as you will see from the pictures when you send me your email.

Thanks
Yvon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Salman_z8 wrote:But hav sort of stopped at this point, and working on the motor first.
That was my impression, just wanted to plant some seeds about that rear end stuff especially. I'm not a suspension expert, but I care a lot about this stuff and I'm happy to be a sounding-board about it if you find it helpful.

I want to be positive and helpful, but I think that your current plan for the rear is not likely to yield results that are better than a near-stock setup. I suggest that you give serious thought to going either closer to stock with a twin-shock setup that mimics the OEM geometry with some upgraded components, or full custom solution with a carefully engineered geometry, appropriately reinforced frame, and properly matched shock.

For reference, you might want to have a look at what Mike aka bikeymikey748 did to fit a modern swingarm to his Pro-Link. Your situation would be different, but it still might be helpful.
I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input, its much appreciated
Wonderful. Good luck with getting the motor sorted out. There's a wealth of info here, and lots of helpful people willing to give you guidance.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

CBXSUDBURY

Post by CBXSUDBURY »

Gas tank sold. Thank you for a smooth transaction to Salman_z8.

Yvon
82 CBXSudbury

Salman_z8
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Salman_z8 »

Have been kind of away from the cbx build in the recent months. Work has been all over the place, thanks to covid-19.

Did have some opportunity to set up a sort of commercial motorcycle service setup on the side, for pre 1980 bikes, which seems to be moving along, and has kept me busy in the recent months. Along the way, have made a machinist friend, so now i might be able to move things along, atleast whatever i can.
Also working on my rd400, so this is kind of a back burber thing for now, but i dont leave things incomplete for long.

But heres a question, does anyone has the measurements for the spacers that go between the engine and the frame on the rear left side mounts ? Or if someone can measure theirs ?
Please and thank you.
Need the length only. Cases are heavy, and i have no space, to mount and measure.

Return to “Project Threads”