Custom CBX build thread.

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
marcmartin
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Custom CBX build thread.

Post by marcmartin »

Hi guys,

I’m starting a new build and thought I would make a thread on here incase others are interested.
Here is my 1979 I just picked up.

I’m planning on putting a front end and swingarm from a 2008 Kawasaki zx6r sports bike.
The swingarm is only about 2 inches longer than the standard swingarm and actually fits almost perfectly into the frame. I just need to make modifications to the frame to take the lager diameter zx6r swingarm mount bolt. I will then have to remove the Center stand (which sucks) as it’s going to be in the way for the linkage mount on the frame. after that it’s just a matter of the shock mount then it’s good to go back there.

I’ll be fitting the forks on with a Cognito moto custom triple clamp.

I’m planning to clean up the look of the engine with some anodising, find some sleek looking rear sets, redo all the wiring, install a C5 ignition, make a slim looking 2 person seat that will still utilise the factory rear cowl and what ever else comes up along the way.

I’ve put a few photos below but will continue to update this if people are interested. I threw in a photo of the 1975 rd350 I just finished.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Custom CBX build thread.

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Marc.
Not many skills to assist in your build but will be happy to follow along.
Looks to be a good starting point. Up-graded alternator and Supertrapp are nice bits.
Can't imagine keeping the velocity stacks but if/when you do a carb rebuild i would be interested in the jetting sizes the previous owner was using.

The RD is lovely.

marcmartin

Post by marcmartin »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Welcome to the site, Marc.
Not many skills to assist in your build but will be happy to follow along.
Looks to be a good starting point. Up-graded alternator and Supertrapp are nice bits.
Can't imagine keeping the velocity stacks but if/when you do a carb rebuild i would be interested in the jetting sizes the previous owner was using.

The RD is lovely.
Thank you, Steve.

I am going to do away with the velocity stacks and use 6 pod filters. It’s currently jetted to sea level to suit the super traps and I have it at 5-6k ft in Utah. I will keep you posted on what jets it currently as. Even with the new ignition and jb power pipes I plan to get I think I’ll still need to reduce the fuel.

Speaking of the JB Power titanium pipes, has anyone used them? They seem to be a bit of a pain to get out of Japan.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I stumbled across this item about a 6-2 from JB.
Had only ever seen a 6-1.
https://www.samurider.com/?p=11927

Darren at DB Customs is a JB dealer.
He MIGHT be able to help you.
http://www.darrenbeggcustoms.com/

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Hi what front fairing is that ? Looks like it would help with long rides on a 79. Please keep pictures coming as you progress.
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

marcmartin

Post by marcmartin »

AshishNJ wrote:Hi what front fairing is that ? Looks like it would help with long rides on a 79. Please keep pictures coming as you progress.
Hi AshishNJ,

I’m not exactly sure on the faring. I have removed it as I don’t need it anymore if you are interested in it?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The fairing is most likely a contemporary "Tracy".

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

I am interested in it. Let me know how to proceed.
Thanks
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Very exciting.

For the swingarm, can you enlarge the pivot holes without weakening the frame? Might it be a better idea to sleeve down the pivots in the Kawi swinger and use the Honda pivot bolt?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Tossing the fairing? I was thinking it looked kinda cool.
That arm looks ROBUST! Great choice.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

There are two areas besides the axle diameter that you have to address with modern swingarms:
1 - Converting from dual shock to single shock suspension, the linkage geometry for the new shock mount is important
2 - When the wheel runs center in the swingarm, the chain alignment needs attention. You may have to use an offset front sprocket. Do not attempt to
offset the rear wheel too much from the centerline to account for the chain.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Many years ago, I was talking to a fellow who had put a VFR swingarm on a Pro-Link. He just used a hand drill to enlarge the pivot bolt holes in the frame, thinking the bit would self center as it went through. DON"T DO THAT!!!!! If you choose to enlarge a hole, use a reamer, not a drill.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

marcmartin

Post by marcmartin »

Sadly its been a long time between posts. Covid wasn't on the plan for this build, however Im back making some progress. I picked up a 2008 Kawi ZX6 front and rear end super cheap. The ZX6 swingarm actually fit inside the CBX frame which was great. It just needed some spacers machined up to centre it and one for the pivot as the ZX6 was a 14mm. After that there was some measuring involved to get the linkage close to the ZX6 geometry while keeping the correct ride height.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marcmartin

Post by marcmartin »

I re designed the sub frame to modernise the look of the bike.

marcmartin

Post by marcmartin »

I made a fiberglass seat pan that I was able to mount the rear cowl on. I still have a little finishing work on it. I also made a fiberglass electrics tray with compartments for the M Unit, Antigravity battery and ignition computer that fits snugly underneath out of site. I'll have to get some pictures of that later.

Return to “Project Threads”